Author Topic: Creating a VPS to host servers  (Read 1514 times)

Since Glass isn't selling servers anymore i need to use a VPS to start hosting my server dedicated, i cant host it regular because the wireless service that i use doesn't allow me to forward ports.
I need help setting one up to host, i need someone to break this down Barney style. Currently signed up for Microsoft Azure and i have no idea how to use it or anything about VPSs really.

I've never used Azure so I'm not sure what it entails. Basically a VPS is just an instance of an OS running on the same hardware as other operating system instances. Since the server is not anywhere near you, you will need to remote in with Windows Remote Desktop. To do this you will need 1) an IP address, 2) a username, and 3) a password from your VPS host. Once you remote in you can install applications as your normally would on your computer. Instead of port forwarding through your router all you need to do is allow Blockland.exe through Windows Firewall.

I've never used Azure so I'm not sure what it entails. Basically a VPS is just an instance of an OS running on the same hardware as other operating system instances. Since the server is not anywhere near you, you will need to remote in with Windows Remote Desktop. To do this you will need 1) an IP address, 2) a username, and 3) a password from your VPS host. Once you remote in you can install applications as your normally would on your computer. Instead of port forwarding through your router all you need to do is allow Blockland.exe through Windows Firewall.
Awesome, thank you for the explanation. Now do i need MY IP address or the VPS's IP Address? Also how do i get a Username and password? Is that something i set up through the VPS?

So you signed up for something before asking about it? Great. What is the OS? We cannot just give you exact instructions.

Awesome, thank you for the explanation. Now do i need MY IP address or the VPS's IP Address? Also how do i get a Username and password? Is that something i set up through the VPS?

Think of it this way: Are you connecting to yourself or to the VPS? You actually answered yourself through the 2nd question.
Username and password are setup through Azure, I do not know what Azure's cpanel looks like but my cpanel for Vultr shows my username and password on the server I select:

Also love how I blocked one of the IPs in the image but not the rest. Perfect.

Well i got vulture instead, i understand it way better, i got a server set up, i cant login however. The console log wont let me put in my password, it will take my username just not my password, i wont let me type it in.

Well i got vulture instead, i understand it way better, i got a server set up, i cant login however. The console log wont let me put in my password, it will take my username just not my password, i wont let me type it in.
When I get back I will make a tutorial on how to set up a VPS with Vultr.

Bump.
Can anyone explain to me why the Vultr console wont let me type my password?

Got unexpectingly busy. Password will not be shown "typed" in console - linux does this too. Press enter after typing the password.

So i managed to login:
How do i actually go about doing stuff on the VPS server? Like downloading BL and getting a dedicated server started?