Activision C&D's Fangame "Spyro: Myths Awaken" | A change of heart

Author Topic: Activision C&D's Fangame "Spyro: Myths Awaken" | A change of heart  (Read 6645 times)

Activision C&D's Fangame "Spyro: Myths Awaken" | Activision becomes Nintendo

Once again an up and coming game is so good that a company has to stomp it's foot on it, and crush it into a million pieces, because we are only allowed to play their stuffty remake. Spyro Myths Awaken was very far into development when this Cease and Desist letter was handed to the developer.

This game was very deep into development, showing love and admiration to the source material, however activision clearly did not see it that way.

The message this sends is that Activision took down this fangame because they felt threatened, because they thought a free game on a single platform would threaten a remake of 3 games that costs $39.99 and is on two platforms. A fan game should have been no threat to a Triple A Developed title, right? But if Activision is this afraid of a fangame, then what should we really expect from their upcoming Reignited Trilogy? Many speculations about a poor development cycle have been made as several videos show interesting controls when compared to the original, and the art style is extremely inconsistent. Either way this shortsighted decision by Activision has stirred up a frenzy in the Spyro community. Now several people, myself included, have cancelled their preorder in response to this, citing that they will either buy it used at a later date or not buy the game at all.

Consider this a change of heart, I will likely still by Spyro and I accept this boycott was meaningless...
However, I have come to the conclusion that new developers will kill the old ones because the old ones are becoming weak and cautious to a point of their own undoing. Let's see how long this war of ideals holds out, and who arises the victor.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 09:30:09 PM by Master Matthew² »

imagine stealing the names and likenesses of copyrighted material and acting surprised when you get a cease and desist

imagine stealing the names and likenesses of copyrighted material and acting surprised when you get a cease and desist
outrageous! us gamers should not have to put up with this

Imagine doing a practice that shows your love and compassion for a game that's usually praised by almost every game company and possibly putting years of effort into it only to have it halted and cut off by a company that's incompetence requires it to get rid of any substitute for their stuffty games.

Well it's not like C&Ds are given like candy to every fangame in existence. It's at least big enough news when a game does get taken down.

But yes the dev of said fan game they should've still expected and kept in mind something like rhis happening.

No ones arguing that the company isn't allowed to do it, obviously they're in every right to do so. Still sucks for the developers of the game regardless though.

Imagine doing a practice that shows your love and compassion for a game that's usually praised by almost every game company and possibly putting years of effort into it only to have it halted and cut off by a company that's incompetence requires it to get rid of any substitute for their stuffty games.
there is no love and compassion in the gaming industry. there are hundreds of employees that worked on the spyro series and their salaries are entirely dependent on the company's failure or success. a fan game is not only illegal and a direct violation of all their written EULA documents which are publicly available, but it's also a loving outside entity that tarnishes and warps the likeness of the series and could do things like overshadow an official game resulting in lost sales and ultimately employee layoffs. it could also suck ass and merely by association damage spyro's reputation as a franchise, also doing the exact same thing as the above.

activision owns the rights to spyro. it says in black ink that they do. these fan game makers are knowingly violating their intellectual property rights and therefore deserve no sympathy at all from anyone. anyone who does try to defend or justify them is defending content theft in some form or another and is basically an idiot.

sure you can go ahead and make spinoffs or fan games, and it's not like anyone would care. however the owner of the intellectual property cares, and they have every right to care seeing as they created that property. they are not in the wrong for protecting their copyrighted material
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:20:00 AM by thegoodperry »

No ones arguing that the company isn't allowed to do it, obviously they're in every right to do so. Still sucks for the developers of the game regardless though.
it sucks that people dedicated time and resources to developing an illegal game in the first place. the cease and desist was a guaranteed outcome from the start, any sane developer wouldn't have even started on such a project

it's basically a disease that most gamers feel entitled to all content ever to be created. it happens here in blockland, it happens in other games, its happening right now in this thread. its a terrible time to be a content creator because while you have legal rights over all your intellectual property and content, you basically lose the favor of literally everyone if you try to enforce it or defend your content at all. you have people coming from all angles saying the "internet is free!" or whatever loving libertarian garbage bullstuff you can spew to basically justify anyone shamelessly copying and reproducing content.

people basically just see the content as some strange abstraction of a free product that can float around endlessly, and they give no regard to the creators' wellbeing or their stakes involved in the creation of the content. like as a youtuber you can literally lose your loving income because someone else decides to copy your style of video and steal your views. the moment they try to be protective and secure their own loving property they're selfish and benefiting themselves or whatever.

you loving cunts just see SPYRO and you don't see the however many billions of dollars that went into and were grossed from the mere idea of SPYRO. you just see this loving purple dragon and think that its fair game and anyone can do what they want with it. it damages the whole franchise. it confuses potential customers when they see whatever fan game first before they discover the actual official game. that fan game could be anything. it could contain hidden researchographic content in it, or the developer of the fan game could be a tribal, and suddenly when you think of SPYRO, you think of a tribal. or a stuffty game. you think HALF LIFE and the first thing that comes to mind is probably hunt down the freeman. this is why its loving dangerous. the people who worked for years to build up the likeness of SPYRO need to secure their loving content so they can continue to capitalize off of their own work.

so next time you want to say "awww, poor fan game devs :( they lost all that work :((((" try also thinking about the actual REAL loving owners of spyro and how much they would lose if a non-canon outsourced game suddenly engulfed the franchises' reputation
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:33:03 AM by thegoodperry »

Either way this shortsighted decision by Activision has stirred up a frenzy in the Spyro community. Now several people, myself included, have cancelled their preorder in response to this, citing that they will either buy it used at a later date or not buy the game at all.
lol i didnt even read this before but now i did and i'm actually loving dying. just dripping with entitlement. i'm glad you're officially out of the spyro community bandwagon, i can now sleep peacefully knowing that we no longer share the same interests. hopefully with you handicaps gone the rest of us can actually support the release of official content and help the good people down at activision earn their paycheck that they are fully entitled to for their good work on the spyro series
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:37:53 AM by thegoodperry »

because we are only allowed to play their stuffty remake
(later)
Now several people, myself included, have cancelled their preorder in response to this, citing that they will either buy it used at a later date or not buy the game at all.
nibba u cant call a game crappy and then be like "i preordered it!!!"

tfw there's a "Spyro community"

nibba u cant call a game crappy and then be like "i preordered it!!!"
I only preordered it out of a desire to support a company I thought had changed. Clearly, I should have known better.

what is even wrong with the official release

you loving cunts just see BLANK and you don't see the however many billions of dollars that went into and were grossed from the mere idea of BLANK. you just see this loving INSERT DESCRIPTION HERE and think that its fair game and anyone can do what they want with it. it damages the whole franchise. it confuses potential customers when they see whatever fan game first before they discover the actual official game. that fan game could be anything. it could contain hidden researchographic content in it, or the developer of the fan game could be a tribal, and suddenly when you think of BLANK, you think of a tribal. or a stuffty game. you think HALF LIFE and the first thing that comes to mind is probably hunt down the freeman. this is why its loving dangerous. the people who worked for years to build up the likeness of BLANK need to secure their loving content so they can continue to capitalize off of their own work.
Copypasta friendly version in case you guys want to use this in the future, just replace BLANK with any franchise and add a description where I marked