Activision C&D's Fangame "Spyro: Myths Awaken" | A change of heart

Author Topic: Activision C&D's Fangame "Spyro: Myths Awaken" | A change of heart  (Read 6639 times)

"HOLY stuff, SOME FAN MADE A GAME RELATED TO A PROPERTY ONE OF MY STOCKS'S COMPANIES OWN, BETTER PULL THE forget OUT RIGHT NOW!!!"
this literally happens every week. you're seriously underestimating the stock market. these companies have billions of dollars at stake with each project and they cannot risk some outside source tarnishing the franchise and hurting their sales. this cease and desist is loving microscopic compared to the serious ramifications that could come from a fan game releasing at the same time as their remake

this literally happens every week. you're seriously underestimating the stock market
Okay, then by the same line of logic, why hasn't loving deviantart and the google playstore tanked literally ANY other game company?
if the devs of spyro: myths awaken change the game to 'green dragon: myths awaken' and create a new franchise they can literally continue making whatever game they were working on and it could be a spiritual successor. you spyro 'fans' will have a spyro-esque game that is fun, there will be no copyright infringement and anything that goes wrong will not hurt the spyro brand

why is this scenario so bad? because it's not spyro? if its not spyro then it sucks, right?
It's the scenario that is going to be taken more than likely, but that's not the point of this argument, the point is that when fans make fangames and the companies SPIT in the faces of the fans, then there is no reason everyone should be all "Oh, that's alright, this is 100% okay because it's legal".

Okay, then by the same line of logic, why hasn't loving deviantart and the google playstore tanked literally ANY other game company?
lolwut
this doesnt seem to be the same line of logic

lolwut
this doesnt seem to be the same line of logic
He said that fangames would cause stock investors to panic and pull their stocks.
He has also said that any and all fan content or copyright infringing content (art, fanfics, games too.) falls under the same umbrella of legality, but they only attack fan-games because they're basically the low hanging fruit.

So, how come Deviant Art, a place known for Fanart and Fanfiction, and the google Playstore, known for thousands of copyright infringing games, haven't caused the SAME panic in stock investors in any other company?

Matthew if you wanna go after the millions of China clones then by all means go ahead and spend the money and man power, China literally doesn't give a forget. Im sure Activision would be happy to have you on board. Not only that but their copyright infringement holds far less legal weight than any other incorporated country with actual legal standing for copyright. So yeah I guess it is cherry picking, because they're obligated to do so, so that they dont lose their loving copyright.

So, how come Deviant Art, a place known for Fanart and Fanfiction, and the google Playstore, known for thousands of copyright infringing games, haven't caused the SAME panic in stock investors in any other company?
companies obviously don't have the resources to dish out thousands of cease and desists for random fan art

Matthew if you wanna go after the millions of China clones then by all means go ahead and spend the money and man power, China literally doesn't give a forget. Not only that but their copyright infringement holds far less legal weight than any other incorporated country with actual legal standing for copyright. So yeah I guess it is cherry picking, because they're obligated to do so, so that they dont lose their loving copyright.

My point is, if this was so vital to keeping your copyright and not losing money, then activision would already have been forgeted six ways from sunday, and so would have pretty much ANYONE in the gaming industry. Hell, this logic should mean that Sega should be 6 feet underground, and that's not even counting their numerous amounts of OTHER business blunders.

Well, they're not upholding their copyright, so I guess they lose the rights to ALL their stocks. Rip Nintendo, Activision, Sega, Electronic Arts, Bethesda, Sony, Microsoft, Square Enix, Disney, and literally anyone else who has a copyrighted character or franchise.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:37:29 PM by Master Matthew² »

Well, they're not upholding their copyright, so I guess they lose the rights to ALL their stocks. Rip Nintendo, Activision, Sega, Electronic Arts, Bethesda, Sony, Microsoft, Square Enix, Disney, and literally anyone else who has a copyrighted character or franchise.
an e621 post with 11 likes has literally no effect on the stocks of activision. it might turn one potential customer off in the future, and that's it. hitting millions of fan arts with cease and desists and then dedicating the resources to actually follow through with that with legal actions would cost trillions of dollars and the company isnt even worth that much money. it makes more sense that they cherry pick one popular fan game

the point is that when fans make fangames and the companies SPIT in the faces of the fans, then there is no reason everyone should be all "Oh, that's alright, this is 100% okay because it's legal".
have you read the C&D letter? i wouldn't call that spitting. that seems more like a punctual, regrettable apology for the cease and desist. it's probably heartfelt too, the developers probably are happy that people are making fan games, and given a different universe, maybe the devs of the fan game could work together with the official devs of spyro. but that's not happening in this one, and because of the way the stars are aligned and the way public opinion and copyright laws work, this is the outcome, and nobody is sad about this outcome except the few diehard spyro fans who view the series as their own property or whatever

if you were a real spyro fan you'd probably still be supporting the devs of myths awakens and encouraging them on their endeavors to create a new franchise out of whatever game they have already worked on

Phanto, there is a clear difference a company handing a license out to anyone, And just allowing fangames to exist. If you're making the claim that fans can ruin a games reputation and therefore companies have a not only a right, but a moral responsibility, to take down anything related to their property, then it is safe to assume you're also for the removal of Fan Art, fan fictions, fanmade music, fan videos and even accounts with avatars or names that are from a certain franchise, correct?

all those things you mentioned aren't even comparable because they're not even in the same market as the game

matthew your primary argument here is that the law is no fun. grow the forget up lmao

HOW THE forget IS A FREE GAME TAKING MONEY AWAY FROM A POLISHED TRIPLE A TITLE?!

well I don't know why do online piraters pirate

well I don't know why do online piraters pirate

You're saying, downloading a fangame... Is the same as pirating the reignited trilogy? Or better yet, that if Activision isn't making money off of it, they're obviously losing money, even if it's free, and not a remake or rebuild of a game they've made before.

if people are playing the free game and it's good then why would they possibly bother buying a game that is supposedly stuffty to them

people who don't like paying for their entertainment like adults will always find excuses to get their stuff for free. weebs who like to pirate anime excuse it by saying "well do these streaming services that pay the animators for their work actually do it oh and this flash player is cancer and ugh there are so many exclusives" so they decide instead that they'll watch their anime for free on some rinky-dinky website that gives their computer super gonaherpesyphilaids and whose owners just steal everything from japan because it's free. I should know, I've done it in the past when I was a kid before I grew up and realized things cost money.

if this spyro game is bad and it stays up, like phantos says, it would tarnish the image of the spyro brand. think about old internet stories like jeff the killer. tell me the first thing that comes to mind when you do: the horrifying story where he carves stuff into his face and kills family members or the horrifying fanart where he bones eyeless jack. if this game is good, then people will have no reason to spend money to buy the remakes, something that would actually benefit the people who made spyro as opposed to the alternative where no one gets any compensation for anything. you said yourself in the OP that there are supposedly tons of problems with the remake even though all I've seen from promotional footage is an alright game, though I'm not into spyro so I wouldn't know. if you're pointing such things out then what's to say that people will just keep playing the free game and not "waste" their money?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:53:17 AM by Tactical Nuke »