Agora (forum system) development - v2 Massive design overhaul!

Author Topic: Agora (forum system) development - v2 Massive design overhaul!  (Read 1520 times)

Been a long time since I posted an update about this, because this design overhaul had me working on the forum system in a staging environment for over half a year before it was ready to be used publicly. This update adds a template-based theme system, which while still not 100% complete does at least give the forum the modern look and responsive design it's been in dire need of. Additionally, a number of new features have been added such as the ability to view the posts of users, a session manager that keeps people logged in between visits, and more minor things.

Previous topic: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=318994.0

Github repository: https://github.com/Pecon/Agora

Features:
 - Template-based theme system. (Similar to making themes for Wordpress)
 - Modern default theme with fully responsive design.
 - Session manager. (UI for users to control their sessions is planned but not done)
 - Avatar system that supports animated gifs and static images up to 100x100px, and with high quality resampling of larger avatars.
 - Uncomplicated code (No unexplained regex, things are generally written in a pretty straightforward manner)
 - All features supported without Javascript (Javascript still enhances some features)
 - Powerful BBCode parser written specifically for Agora (No regex used. Very straightforward to edit.)
 - Optional email address confirmation system
 - Private messaging system
 - Lack of feature bloat (or an excuse as to this list being short)

To-do:
 - Add more user preferences and controls
 - Add boards
 - Add more admin tools and further improve existing ones
 - Search feature

If you would like to help, the most needed things right now would be:
 - A default favicon.
 - A background image/texture, maybe.
 - Suggest a nicer (open source) font for the default theme? There have been some complaints about the current one.
 - You may also make a pull request if you would like to contribute code changes or submit a new default theme.

Note, if you want to make a theme that is just a color edit, I plan to make a separate functionality for themes to have different color schemes which users can individually choose to use. You shouldn't make a new theme just to change the colors, and if you want to make a color scheme for the Twilight (default) theme just let me know and I'll keep you updated for when color schemes are added. Making a theme is only for if you want to completely redesign the look and layout of the forum.

Additionally please keep in mind that if you wish to contribute, you cannot use any copywritten materials. So for example if you made a banner graphic, it can't feature any image or photo that isn't original work or in the public domain. Some good sources of public domain images can be found at creative commons, nasa, or a few other select places that produce content exclusively for public domain use.

Screenshots:

The thread index

A thread

A user's profile

If you're interested in testing out the forum system, a link to the testing forum can be found on the github page.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:40:40 PM by Pecon »

Bump because I posted this at 4am.

the screenshots are broken for me

the screenshots are broken for me
What happens if you try to view them directly?

What happens if you try to view them directly?

i'll just restart my browser and see if that helps

Please consider removing the assets I've made in consideration of recent events, as I doubt you would wish to continue to have my name associated with any of your projects.

You gave written agreement to release those assets under the same license as Agora. Therefore, anyone is allowed to use them as long as they remain in conformity with the AGPL license.

Also, I don't actually care that you're in the credits of things that I made. You're only insinuating this so it doesn't sound like you're asking for their removal.

You gave written agreement to release those assets under the same license as Agora. Therefore, anyone is allowed to use them as long as they remain in conformity with the AGPL license.

Also, I don't actually care that you're in the credits of things that I made. You're only insinuating this so it doesn't sound like you're asking for their removal.
Yeah that's fair, I apologize.

I posted that while I was in a bad mood.

Lol I think registration was broken. I need to test more before I make these topics...

Anyways, registration should actually work now.

Please consider removing the assets I've made in consideration of recent events, as I doubt you would wish to continue to have my name associated with any of your projects.
im out of hte loop