Collecting Consoles

Author Topic: Collecting Consoles  (Read 3353 times)

open it and remove the clock capacitor, it leaks and burns the insides with its acid
i already did, that's how i knew the motherboard revision in the first place

for me i got

ps2

xbox 360

wii

original ds

and an nes

you can buy a ps2 for like 20 bucks bro
if you're a console collector i doubt you're going to buy something like this

"Comes with 2 controllers
I picked up at a flea market, not sure if it works.
Fast shipping"

thats the equivalent of being an action figure collector and buying a travis scott action figure from someone who claims to have found it in a dumpster and its arm is missing. true collectors buy things in mint condition or close, keep them clean and unused. just buying every console for whatever price you can find just to say you own it is basically some sort of misguided bragging right
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:25:24 PM by PhantOS »

Fast shipping"

thats the equivalent of being an action figure collector and buying a travis scott action figure from someone who claims to have found it in a dumpster and its arm is missing. true collectors buy things in mint condition or close, keep them clean and unused. just buying every console for whatever price you can find just to say you own it is basically some sort of misguided bragging right

I would consider buying something like that because I have a lot of experience creating and fixing electronics so I'm usually willing to risk a small amount of money on my abilities to fix the thing and save myself money in the long run. For me, collecting consoles is not about finding them in mint condition, and it's not at all about bragging rights. I want these consoles so I can play them. Honestly, if they're aged, in a way that feels "right" to me.

true collectors buy things in mint condition or close, keep them clean and unused.
no

I would consider buying something like that because I have a lot of experience creating and fixing electronics so I'm usually willing to risk a small amount of money on my abilities to fix the thing and save myself money in the long run. For me, collecting consoles is not about finding them in mint condition, and it's not at all about bragging rights. I want these consoles so I can play them. Honestly, if they're aged, in a way that feels "right" to me.
lol. given the fact that all controllers are ergonomic disasters save the Xbox and PS4 controllers, this paragraph seems kind of off. It feels more like you want to own them just because you like the feeling of owning them. Playing them obviously won't cut it because the controller's for most pre 2010 consoles is painful and fatigue inducing, and emulating is 100x easier and space/money saving

Sorry to rain on your consoles conneseur parade but buying barely functional antique machines and fumbling through the refurbishing process doesn't sound fun. Even people with full engineering degrees and experience with installing console hardware don't give enough of a forget to completely repair an n64. Might have something to do with having to buy completely obscure antique hardware that have no interface instructions because they aren't intended for user servicing
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:21:50 PM by PhantOS »

i mean an old console might make for a sick PC case if its big and meaty enough

Fast shipping"

If you know where to look you can find stuff for cheap in great condition.

For example I got an OG Xbox in practically mint condition along with around 20 or so notable games like Halo, Forza, JSRF, etc. and 2 controllers.

I'd say part of the appeal is trying to find good deals of good stuff. Not necessarily trying to blow a ton of money.

I'm gonna try to get all the GameBoys, currently I have the GameBoy Color, Advanced, and normal GameBoy

i mean an old console might make for a sick PC case if its big and meaty enough
I thought about using my old broken 360 as a PC case but then I remembered why it broke

I just bought a Nintendo 64 for $55 on eBay with 2 controllers, 3 games, a rumble pak, and all the cables. I'm excited! It says it works well. I will probably take it apart, clean it, and add an HDMI mod to it. I have a box full of my old N64 games somewhere. I think the first game I'll play is "BattleTanx" and then "Army Men Sarge's Heroes"

i went to a local retro video game fair in 2016 and picked up an n64 with cables and a controller for like £25-£30, which was gr8. odd thing tho is that on the side of the n64 is a postcode? not just a sticker of a postcode but it's actually burnt/etched onto the plastic of the console. i looked it up and it just leads to a regular street. this doesnt matter to me - the console works fine - but it's interesting cause i'd never seen this done before, and i dont see why they didnt just use a sticker lol

lol. given the fact that all controllers are ergonomic disasters save the Xbox and PS4 controllers, this paragraph seems kind of off. It feels more like you want to own them just because you like the feeling of owning them. Playing them obviously won't cut it because the controller's for most pre 2010 consoles is painful and fatigue inducing, and emulating is 100x easier and space/money saving

Sorry to rain on your consoles conneseur parade but buying barely functional antique machines and fumbling through the refurbishing process doesn't sound fun. Even people with full engineering degrees and experience with installing console hardware don't give enough of a forget to completely repair an n64. Might have something to do with having to buy completely obscure antique hardware that have no interface instructions because they aren't intended for user servicing
why have you spent the last week jumping on ohawai on every opportunity

i dont see why they didnt just use a sticker lol
Why put a pusillanimous individual sticker on that thing when you can etch your postcode into it?

why have you spent the last week jumping on ohawai on every opportunity
you have to break down the alts before they gain public confidence