Nike Releases American Flag Shoes; handicaps Offended

Author Topic: Nike Releases American Flag Shoes; handicaps Offended  (Read 5879 times)

your first mistake was assuming I read all of your posts
another win for the marketplace of ideas

Definetley jumping in to say the US education system needs both:

A. An overhaul
And
B. Regulation (Shocked faces here because I'm not living up to the comical stereotype of a republican being ancap)

How many of you are aware the public education system has no regulation of grading, so the outcome has lead to standardized tests that claim they're "non-profit" yet they hold controlled-duopolies, for what purpose? And there is definetley some sus movement of money going around there.

What about the fact any low iq Karen's can call up about how their little Kyle didn't get an A and force a false grade into their report card, despite the fact that all he does is JO in class and sleep, while achieving students have to strive to get the same grades, so their achievements begin to mean nothing?

How about the fact that many of these standardized tests have become so important, nearly every college requires you to have taken this test to get in?

And beyond that there is a discussion to be had about the fact that these tests lead to an unusual amount of students getting undeserved grades that end up costing them money in the long run and are the main reason there is a "student debt crCIA".

idk where that came from but I can't really argue with that

another win for the marketplace of ideas

hey man, fair enough

Definetley jumping in to say the US education system needs both:

A. An overhaul
And
B. Regulation (Shocked faces here because I'm not living up to the comical stereotype of a republican being ancap)

How many of you are aware the public education system has no regulation of grading, so the outcome has lead to standardized tests that claim they're "non-profit" yet they hold controlled-duopolies, for what purpose? And there is definetley some sus movement of money going around there.

What about the fact any low iq Karen's can call up about how their little Kyle didn't get an A and force a false grade into their report card, despite the fact that all he does is JO in class and sleep, while achieving students have to strive to get the same grades, so their achievements begin to mean nothing?

How about the fact that many of these standardized tests have become so important, nearly every college requires you to have taken this test to get in?

And beyond that there is a discussion to be had about the fact that these tests lead to an unusual amount of students getting undeserved grades that end up costing them money in the long run and are the main reason there is a "student debt crCIA".
High schools are notorious for giving out undeserved marks ofc, i know universities (at least in canada) adjust for this in the application period.

for example if you are a rich kid that goes to a private school that gives you undeserved marks, the university notices after a couple students coming from that one private school do really poorly at university. So they adjust the marks of future applicants from that private highschool

anyways i feel like we should have cake or a party or something but we actually agree on something for once. we need education reform.

Education reform would probably solve 50% of the problem

I say we shoot truants on sight

Education reform would probably solve 50% of the problem

I say we shoot truants on sight
executive order now

This will unite the races

whats the point of arguing about this

just appreciate the unity against a common enemy weathernerd

There needs to be a standard on grading.
The department of education will likely need to be restructured.

I know this is going to sound asinine, but hear me out. Public schools are given too much freedom. They're treated more like companies rather than public areas, despite them being considered public schools. For example, public schools are allowed to censor and prohibit speech in the same manner as a company, this is ridiculous. I understand why employees should be forced to remain neutral, but students are basically people in a public space being compressed and conformed. I do understand restricting all speech in class room settings, given time restrictions and the necessity to teach, but students should be allowed to present themselves however they please, so long as they do not incite violence or if you really wish to keep it, vulgar. But that's really far from the worst sins of public school.

Arrogance and Ignorance of market. Schools have to compete with smart phones and the tech boom of the early 2000s, yet even after 20 years, most schools seem to be stuck in the 80s-90s. And I'm not talking text books or lack of tech integration, I mean teachers and schools have been unwilling to evolve. Instead of attempting to dual-integrate smartphone use and student's technology into the schools, they only see them as a distraction, not a tool. Many schools ban these outright, even in free time like lunch. I understand in elementary or even middle schools, but in high schools they should be accepted as a common occurrence. Why? Well it's almost like the Napster piracy and Music, or the modern streaming piracy vs the Super Smash Bros Ultimate roster of streaming sites that offer a handful of shows that seems to constantly be stacking up. It doesn't matter if it's banned, prohibited or illegal, it will gain popularity of the alternative is inferior. The only way to really defeat it, is to bite the bullet and try to integrate it instead of ignoring it or persecuting it. It won't end well.

180 days/ 8 hour days is ridiculous. In my experience, I've spent countless ours and sometimes whole school days, doing ridiculous Bullstuff that has no meaning or purpose beyond being busy to shut up the superintendent/principal if he/she were to pop in. Why? Because of some arbitrary day count and summer break? They've constantly been adding holidays into the year to break it up over the years, but that's not solving the problem. The problem is this makes no sense. These dedicated hours are not being used efficiently, and are basically empty hours. In the middle of the school year it works, but before holidays, summer break or even weekends, most teachers lose the will to go over stuff for a full day. Kids and teens may think they're winning a treat when they do this, but in reality it's pointless wasted time. Either the days need be used more efficiently, or they need to be cut down to give teachers a sense of urgency so that there aren't days upon days of bullstuff nonsense.

Ah, the elephant in the room, Grades. Any starfish with an undeserved ego can call up about their child's grades and get them changed because they're too stupid to understand that changing the outcome of the grades doesn't suddenly make their child a genius. Effectively you're strongarming the school into lying about your child, which contributes to the need for tests like the SAT and ACT. If you do this, you're part of the problem. Schools have no backbone because theyre afraid of the dreaded lawsuit. And honestly, why shouldn't they? Frivilous lawsuits end up passing through courts all the time. Stupid people seem to be winning smart prizes for avoidable circumstances all the time. That is definetly a subject to be discussed, but it's far too vague to go into detail here, but I thought I'd note it.

By regulating grades and education you change the duty of grade assignment and verification from just each and every school to the state/federal government. And I know that's a risky decision, and in most situations this would be a no-no. However, this isn't like most situations. With this change of duty, schools can lean back on the government for protection from aggressive Karen's who think their brother-son, who never shows up to school, deserves all A's and the honor roll.

This will then create a consistency for grades across schools, so colleges don't have to force people's hands into a stuffty test, that determines your score based on a mix arbitrary attributes and questions answered correctly. Pushing kids out of the pathline of college who don't fit that future.

College isn't for everyone. And there are other options. Trade schools are great alternatives. But forcing people into college who shouldn't be there is bad for the college, the student and whoever has to pay back the debt the misplaced student will inevitably end up not being able to pay back.

alright you've lost me here
I'm gonna sound like a snobby bitch here especially after reading anecdotes of some people in the rest of this thread, but every student in my school district from kindergarten to 12th grade was given a chromebook because of a google grant this year, and it's been one of the worst things to happen to the county. elementary schoolers are incapable of learning because desperate grade school teachers are struggling to integrate chromebooks into rudimentary math when they don't even know how to use a computer, let alone handle the responsibility of a personal laptop. middle schoolers are using it as a distraction because they're awkward bitches that don't know how to juggle both a school schedule and a personal life, so they just default to watching videos on their devices. high schoolers struggle to learn from it because the thing as a whole is so locked down that it can't be used for any computer-related classes (for security reasons which are obvious), and any regular classwork that instructors try to assign us through the chromebook are so incredibly difficult to work due to both stuffty hardware and stuffty software being used to try and instruct teenagers who inherently resent anything of this sort

in six different schools throughout the country I've gone to I haven't once seen a school that directly tries to deny device use, and it's almost always encouraged. in not a single one of these school districts the advantage of personal devices was taken advatantage of properly because there's always going to be a problem in management which constricts all the opportunities the 21st century raises to education. I've deadass spent my last year spearheading a committee to strongly tone down technology use in my county and other counties like it, because students just can't learn when a county can't properly implement a system in which kids can teach themselves using their devices, and because there's no real answer to these problems at this time where intensely encouraged phone or laptop use will teach students better than interactive real-world communicative assignments or lectures. I'm well aware that there are schools and counties in which management implements absolutely fascist policies about it (ex. the whole thing that happened about installing plugins to people's phones to track them), but there are many more systems that are overcompensating and giving way more freedom than your run-of-the-mill irresponsible teen should be getting

the 180 day year is because of farming schedules (which is pretty funny because it hasn't changed in two thousand years), and a good deal of families particularly through the midwest still depend on this actually. in a perfect world this would be something you could just throw at the county or the state and let them decide whether it's better for a 180 day school year or more or less, but teachers' wages are already put into a chokehold as is, and district administration just can't afford to add more days of pay to teachers' salaries in their current state. I'll say that several of my classes have struggled to finish their curricula by the end of the year and just ended up skipping whole swaths of important material because they just didn't have enough time to teach. these are the classes that I honest to god learned the most from, because the instructors really cared about the material and making sure students learned it in the best possible way. I'd hate to see people like that having to teach like braindead robots from A to B to C, so keeping the 180 days which people are used to is just what makes sense. I'd be happy to agree with you on the grades thing but your solution is again not accounting for human error and diversity. unless we had a 22 legions of judges for students' grades to handle it on a case-by-case basis, regulating grades wouldn't work---except we already do, and the system is still flawed because these administrators are themselves just as human and diverse as the next guy

I'm really glad you mentioned trade school because it's really not talked about enough. every time I've heard it in announcements or assemblies in schools throughout my district and surrounding districts, it's just been in a list grouped in with college, military, and the work force. college is generally advertised as the only course of action for students, but like you said, college isn't for everyone. many people were made for a conceited effort into a single focus, and they don't quite realize it until college leads them through a twisted maze of "hey, you could also do this" one step too far

I feel like we just derailed a bit, think it's possible to move this part of the thread onto a new thread if that's fine with OP.

I feel like we just derailed a bit, think it's possible to move this part of the thread onto a new thread if that's fine with OP.
Oh yeah, stuff, my bad.

Do as you wish