YouTube now banning Hacking & Netsec videos from their platform

Author Topic: YouTube now banning Hacking & Netsec videos from their platform  (Read 3274 times)

EULAs are public and require consent thanks to consumer protection laws. because of them you know exactly what you can and can't do on a service. stop whining and go find a different service that lets you post tutorials on how to commit corporate espionage
learning how to fix my iphone is corporate espionage now LUL

learning how to fix my iphone is corporate espionage now LUL
when did i ever say it was

You quite literally just... I mean... Do you read what you type

You quite literally just... I mean... Do you read what you type
did you read what i typed or does your mind subconsciously strawman everything? right to repair and service products has nothing to do with network security and hacking. one is actually just loving illegal and the other voids your warranty

its good that those videos are taken down because now we'll have less friends trying to install linux on their iphones
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:22:15 PM by PhantOS »

wait I get the hacking thing but whys netsec being banned? can someone explain this to me I don’t watch videos like that often

did you read what i typed or does your mind subconsciously strawman everything? right to repair and service products has nothing to do with network security and hacking. one is actually just loving illegal and the other voids your warranty

its good that those videos are taken down because now we'll have less friends trying to install linux on their iphones
no one agrees with you

no one agrees with you
what part do you not agree on? that an EULA specifies in plain english all the limits of the service? that at any time you can simply disagree and free yourself from any restrictions? that you will always engage in a service with full knowledge of what you can and can't do on that service so there's absolutely 0 surprises? teaching people how to commit crimes is illegal if it involves accessory before the act and can result in felony charges?

you're right i made all of that up, it was all a ruse.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:55:38 PM by PhantOS »

i get why they removed this but still. i like homebrew and game modifications for stuff

things that are absolutely useless to make illegal but are still illegal:
installing linux on your iphone/nintendo switch
modding offline console games (i'm looking at you nintendo)
showing off how to use an unintended feature of something which doesn't affect it in any major way
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:25:52 AM by Unova2 »

steam is now banning video games from their platform
any os is now banning downloads of any kind
internet is banning internet
rooster and ball torture is now legal

My bad for being a bit too vague on the OP. What they meant with Hacking is stuff like  "Showing users how to bypass secure computer systems or steal user credentials and personal data."
Good riddance? Maybe, but it could also affect videos that teaches homebrewing and explaining how exploits work.
But the cybersecurity community isn't happy about thie at all, imagine trying to explain an patched exploit only to have it taken down. Maybe a video about Reverse Engineering WannaCry, or heck even an historical virus. I'm at least hoping that Danooct1 doesn't get in trouble over it.

My bad for being a bit too vague on the OP. What they meant with Hacking is stuff like  "Showing users how to bypass secure computer systems or steal user credentials and personal data."
Good riddance? Maybe, but it could also affect videos that teaches homebrewing and explaining how exploits work.
But the cybersecurity community isn't happy about thie at all, imagine trying to explain an patched exploit only to have it taken down. Maybe a video about Reverse Engineering WannaCry, or heck even an historical virus. I'm at least hoping that Danooct1 doesn't get in trouble over it.
the cybersecurity community is loving handicapped. there's a website where you can submit faults in security systems for a bounty to the actual owner of the service which is good because then you tell the faulty service exactly how they can fix that one problem. but putting 'how to hack facebook' on youtube under the guise of an education video that should raise awareness of the loopholes behind facebook security is absolutely loving handicapped and will just basically teach thousands of people how to continue exploiting the fault

the same people here who are basically claiming that removing videos on hacking is some sort of censorship are also the same people who stuff on every company that has a major security breach. like they want videos on how to hack steam's database to be public but then blame steam when 10 million users personal data gets leaked onto the web

homebrew immediately breeds the release of undetectable pirated games. most consoles like xbox poured millions of dollars into the security of their console to make sure that their homebrewing toolset didn't allow hackers to basically boot and redistribute full launch games on it. nintendo not wanting to pay that same amount of money to make a homebrew SDK doesn't automatically make people entitled to homebrew themselves. it just violates their license agreement and voids all warranties. and since nintendo owns the license agreement they have the right to copyright strike anything along those lines
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:54:51 AM by PhantOS »

the cybersecurity community is loving handicapped. there's a website where you can submit faults in security systems for a bounty to the actual owner of the service which is good because then you tell the faulty service exactly how they can fix that one problem. but putting 'how to hack facebook' on youtube under the guise of an education video that should raise awareness of the loopholes behind facebook security is absolutely loving handicapped and will just basically teach thousands of people how to continue exploiting the fault
not necessarily, it forces the company to fix the issue. the whole point of documenting and making these issues public is to force people to not rely on security through obscurity and also teach people/get people interested in computer security

look, there really isnt much upside to banning this stuff and a lot of it is gateway information for people to get interested in computer security. its not like anything on youtube is the most severe kind of issue - those exploits tend to be extremely secret due to actual monetary value attached to it. making the easy-to-use and relatively tame exploits public not only forces companies to fix them rather than just let it be, but also helps them in determining the source of the error (if a weaponized exploit exists)

not necessarily, it forces the company to fix the issue. the whole point of documenting and making these issues public is to force people to not rely on security through obscurity and also teach people/get people interested in computer security

look, there really isnt much upside to banning this stuff and a lot of it is gateway information for people to get interested in computer security. its not like anything on youtube is the most severe kind of issue - those exploits tend to be extremely secret due to actual monetary value attached to it. making the easy-to-use and relatively tame exploits public not only forces companies to fix them rather than just let it be, but also helps them in determining the source of the error (if a weaponized exploit exists)
bringing this documentation directly to the company first so they can fix it is what people should be doing before publicly posting about the security breach where everyone can attempt it and deal actual damage before it gets patched. imagine if someone discovered an exploit that gave you infinite turnips on your farming server and this person told everyone except you and you joined one morning to find half the server in possession of infinite turnips. compare that to if the person pm'd you on discord and allowed you to fix it and you didn't have to go back and revert everyone's turnip counts

hacking is just incredibly aggressive and targeted bugtesting. you can't possibly be testing on live outside services in good faith. there are better ways to attempt this- ie making a website yourself and testing every fault so you learn about security naturally and fix each one of them
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:59:28 AM by PhantOS »

sure, banning homebrew may be in line with eulas, but that doesnt justify banning netsec or other infosec videos. a lot of that stuff helped me in my computer security class and theres some really good stuff out there.

bringing this documentation directly to the company first so they can fix it is what people should be doing before publicly posting about the security breach where everyone can attempt it and deal actual damage before it gets patched
they do this already...? most videos on security exploits are released post-mortem or are almost immediately outdated as security techs are actually on top of stuff constantly. the only exception is phishing or whatever since they cant “fix” that effectively, and most videos on phishing are teaching you how to avoid it anyways

they do this already...? most videos on security exploits are released post-mortem or are almost immediately outdated as security techs are actually on top of stuff constantly. the only exception is phishing or whatever since they cant “fix” that effectively, and most videos on phishing are teaching you how to avoid it anyways
if the company that was attacked is ok with these postmortems being released online then they won't be copyright striking it. keep in mind that that one fault being fixed doesn't mean that someone can't use the same method of attack on a different system