Author Topic: I want to host a race  (Read 1962 times)

Sunday, Sep. 8th Schedule
All times are in Pacific Time
ThingTime
Early Setup07:00 AM
Building Starts07:30 AM
Snack Break09:00 AM
Racing Starts09:15 AM
Lunch12:00 AM

I can host on Sundays.

Im working on a collision pack for ModTer so we can use big jumps.  Its at like 10/152 right now.
After that i need to make an easy to use checkpoint system.  Im thinking just a scripted brick.  You place it down and give it a name like CHECKPOINT 5.  Then the scripted stuff takes care of the rest.

Floating bricks is a must.  As is vehicle events.  Scifi particles, weather particles.  Default bricks + Modter.
Itd be nice to get some more prints for modter.

For weapons, im not sure.  I dont want people dieing and sitting out too much.  So maybe just the pie weapon, spear, that sort of thing.

For vehicles, drift jeep, drift turismo, FROG.  Theres a plane, what was it, the JABO(Corsair)? Idk.  I would like suggestions for this, i havent been watching the new vehicles that come out.  Im looking for stuff that is fun to drive.

Edit:
No interest huh? aight.  I guess the school year is starting or something.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 04:24:05 PM by Tendon »

i think there's been no interest because this sounds like a very strange type of race

not to discourage your creativity or say you can't utilize addons like that, but when i read "race" i expected something a bit more simplistic i suppose? those addons are also kinda outdated, especially the FROG

potentially zone bricks with the names for checkpoints - or an output to do checkpoint[5] or similar
that way you can build a custom floating icon thing without raycasting
or just something on the ground/poles to go between

i think there's been no interest because this sounds like a very strange type of race

not to discourage your creativity or say you can't utilize addons like that, but when i read "race" i expected something a bit more simplistic i suppose? those addons are also kinda outdated, especially the FROG
The FROG is outdated.  But its hilarious.  Giant ass alien vehicle...
That is why I ask for suggestions.  I have not been paying attention to the new vehicles that came out.

ia m intrested
Ok cool.  I will host this next sunday morning.  That day is my birthday, so I expect there will be a party or something irl in the afternoon.

Generally we would build a track in the first hour and a half, the race it the rest of the time.

potentially zone bricks with the names for checkpoints - or an output to do checkpoint[5] or similar
that way you can build a custom floating icon thing without raycasting
or just something on the ground/poles to go between
An output event sounds perfect. I want to separate races by name so that there can be multiple races in 1 build.  They would also be separated by brick ownership.  Cant have randos creating an extra set of checkpoints off to tge side and winning the race immediately.

So something like onventerzone > vehicle > checkpoint [racename]

I can pipe the events into an extra script if we want to do something special, like change vehicles mid race.

I tested the server out on saturday.  I was able to make a ring that changes you from a car to a plane.  But the events are super complicated and it would be much easier to do with a script.
I tested a zone which makes it appear as though the vehicle was turned into a cannonball.  When the cannonball hits the ground the vehicle reappears.
I tested a pipe sort of track and tried to turn planes around in the pipe.  I did not have success with the corsair.  But some of the great war planes had limited success.

Proper collision is super nice.  I dropped a vehicle on the ground super hard and it didnt glitch through it.  It just sort of bounced. :D

Ok cool.  I will host this next sunday morning.
what time and timezone?

Lets see.  I want 2 hrs to race.  1.5 to build.  And i want to be done at Noon.

All times are in Pacific Time.
Early setup @ 7:00
Building starts @ 7:30
15 minute break @ 9:00 for snacks, water, etc.
Racing starts @ 9:15.
Ill be leaving sometime after 11:00.  Ill leave the server up if it looks like it's going well.

I imagine we will continue to evolve the track as we race.

If anyone has like, a track from a game they want to recreate.  Theres a chance i could port the visual part of it to blockland.  That would give us something to model our track off of.

Everything is still on.
The checkpoint system is working.  It's fairly basic.
It stores the checkpoints on the clients, so if you respawn you don't have to start over at the beginning.
It works using events & minigames.  So it should be easy to use.

It does not track laps.
It does not support respawning at checkpoints.

Those would be great to add but I've got other stuff to do.

Work on KotaiCol is coming along (better collision).  Currently the 8x modter have perfect collision.  I'm working on the 16x right now.

Well, I was the only one who showed up to build, so the track wasn't great.  But I had a great time racing with ya'll.  I tried to keep things fresh by switching up the vehicles and weapons a bit each round.

Definitely need to do something to the checkpoint mod.  Not respawning at the checkpoint really sucks.

i forgot to arrive reeeeeeee