Author Topic: Do you prefer the forum style of communication or the more instant style?  (Read 1271 times)

i'm talking about how skype or discord is more instant versus typing a message and posting it or sending it. Discord is all about sending and talking to friends. Personally it depends on how I feel at the time sometimes I just like taking longer to read stuff or post stuff and it's fun then having to scroll up and see a bunch of people typing a word or some stupid stuff like that.

im not too good at thinking of things on the fly so in general i prefer forum style because of how much time it gives you. Though discord/skype type is helpful if you need to know something really soon.

Forums are good for long term discussions, instant messengers are good for, well, instant messaging, spur of the moment type discussions and happenings

i prefer forums over reddit because reddit is a cesspoll of loving garbage popularity contests

everyone is equal here, also instant messaging has its place, but its terrible to keep up to date with a lot of people

im not too good at thinking of things on the fly so in general i prefer forum style because of how much time it gives you. Though discord/skype type is helpful if you need to know something really soon.
Agreed but the only problem I have with the forums is that this place is loving dead so waiting for replies sometimes is takes forever or you don't get any depending on the topic which makes sense. I just feel if it was more active it would be more fun obv but we can't have that now can we. Discord overwhelms me but I kind of have to use it since everyone else is.

I agree, forum posting allows me to be more thoughtful as to what I say (though that isn't often necessary cause I'm often saying stupid things) but Discord and the like kind of is much more reactive (so the stupid things I say just come naturally). I guess I don't really have a preference in that regard cause I feel like both are so different that I don't really know what's really better, though I've admittedly fallen out of posting on forums since most of the people I talk to are on Discord.

I agree, forum posting allows me to be more thoughtful as to what I say (though that isn't often necessary cause I'm often saying stupid things) but Discord and the like kind of is much more reactive (so the stupid things I say just come naturally). I guess I don't really have a preference in that regard cause I feel like both are so different that I don't really know what's really better, though I've admittedly fallen out of posting on forums since most of the people I talk to are on Discord.

pretty much this

I prefer forum posting but it seems the internet wants to be as direct as possible which worries me as I hate direct messaging because it stresses me out and makes me feel like I have to constantly check it which is so forgetin annoying versus me just being able to not worry via forum posting.

I prefer forum posting but it seems the internet wants to be as direct as possible which worries me as I hate direct messaging because it stresses me out and makes me feel like I have to constantly check it which is so forgetin annoying versus me just being able to not worry via forum posting.
this this this

the question you should be asking is do you prefer forum message boards versus Reddit boards.

that being said Reddit is loving awful. the design is tailored around showing the best posts firsts causing ALL new posts to be abandoned and unresponded to. and the top post is always some cookie cutter garbage response.

reddit is such an inherently flawed system it makes me cry. it's literally built such that people who spam and make lies up about their boring ass lives are on top

For some reason Discord feels alot less permanent. Probably because stuffty 'official' discords are never really good and smaller more clique like ones where no one really cares thrive more often.

I prefer forums for real discussion and I loving hate that Reddit helped kill the format.

forget Reddit.

discord is amazing for niche communities. zelda64 modding forums have never had a leg to stand on because there just aren't enough people interested in facilitating a reliable userbase. partially because its impossible to get any kind of help and with zelda modding being so hard thats a problem. i honestly think thats the core of it simply because thats why i never stuck around on their forums. it would take days or even weeks to even begin discussing any issues i had.

but with discord, that stuffs instantaneous. the discord isn't even small either. i think that advent of clean, easy to access, instant messaging made getting your problems answered much quicker, which entices way more people into trying out zelda modding because if you're tiny brained like me its almost impossible to learn anything notable on your own. you need help from the more experienced users who are clearly still into what they're doing, its just really really hard to get in touch with them through obscure forums if you don't know them personally

but for larger and stronger communities where actual regular discussion can be made and relied on, i think its better to be on a forum where you have time to actually synthesize what it is you're reading and responding to. its just easier that way. i dont feel like im trying to have a conversation. i can just have one and not stress about it

really big chat rooms also just freak me out. the verbal threats from people in 2007 and my genuine disconnect with what most people give a stuff about nowadays has left a mark. i cant even talk in voice chat most of the time. i feel like a socially disabled tard walking into a mine field LOL
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:03:31 PM by mod-man »

i like both, it just kinda depends on the context. i like discords for just kinda friendly richarding around and hanging out, and forums for better discussions and branching out (with smaller, private discords, it's not really common to get new users i guess)

Writing Letters > Fax > Weightlifter Forums > BLF > Skype > Teamspeak > Discord > Reddit