9 Dead in mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio.

Author Topic: 9 Dead in mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio.  (Read 4029 times)

Im just giving an example. There are plenty more. Blood walks into Crip territory and kills 3 rival gang members. Considered a "mass shooting". Happens almost every day. There are many incidents of legit incompetent doctors. Surgery mistakes.
Doc: "Have you had anything to eat today?"
Patient: "No."
Patient dies during anesthesia. Also cases where people wont admit to using cocaine or other drugs before a procedure and dying because of the chemical mix. Sure its not a 500 high number but its not a 0 either.

Lets also not ignore the other symptoms of death on that list Tyson posted.

https://old.reddit.com/r/gunpolitics/comments/clxp8b/americans_please_value_your_freedoms/
but you are literally invalidating the fact that gun violence occurs just by labeling it an everyday occurrence, stop trying to downplay it lol. Medical (and the other reasons tyson pointed out) are all incredibly nuanced and extremely complicated stats.

the best example i could give you is that:
-imagine if 250 people died because of chairs last year, you wouldn't immediately go: "bro theres 500 people that died of medical problems who cares", your reaction would be "what the forget, why are there 250 people dying of chairs??"
-so then you would look at why people where dying because of chairs, discover that they are faultily manufactured, or people didn't have the proper education to use them so they would get injured using them. then you would enacts rules and regulations to alleviate the problem.

of course 500 people dying of medical/whatever is alarming, but it's a complete whataboutism and deflection

but you are literally invalidating the fact that gun violence occurs just by labeling it an everyday occurrence, stop trying to downplay it lol. Medical (and the other reasons tyson pointed out) are all incredibly nuanced and extremely complicated stats.

the best example i could give you is that:
-imagine if 250 people died because of chairs last year, you wouldn't immediately go: "bro theres 500 people that died of medical problems who cares", your reaction would be "what the forget, why are there 250 people dying of chairs??"
-so then you would look at why people where dying because of chairs, discover that they are faultily manufactured, or people didn't have the proper education to use them so they would get injured using them. then you would enacts rules and regulations to alleviate the problem.

of course 500 people dying of medical/whatever is alarming, but it's a complete whataboutism and deflection

Yeah, theres gonna be gun violence. What can you do about it? If it were in the 1700s, you probably would have had a chance at making America a gun free country.
Speaking of gun-free countries, how wild is it that Brazil has 60,000 homicides a year, at approximately 168 per day? Homicide rate of 30.5% is kind of crazy. (BTW: our homicide rate is 5.3%)
Venezuela? Whopping 56.33% homicide rate? Jamaica?

And then why does Switzerland, the most gun loving country in Europe, have a homicide rate of 0.5%?

A plane crashes killing 150 people and nobody bats an eye. A guy kills 8 people and suddenly everybody loses their stuff?

why are you comparing us to the worst countries on earth in terms of safety? is there really nothing we can do to bring our homicide rate down?

we got it better doesnt mean we should just ignore the problem.

and the last line of your post is "whataboutism". people dying in plane crashes is a terrible thing and should be addressed as a serious problem, but that does not invalidate or diminish the issue of gun control/gun violence. do we just ignore the fact there's been shootings in public areas against random civilians with no reasonable motive?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:14:34 AM by Conan »

you can move all the goal posts to 10 deaths all you want, but then when those become common you'll say "what? only 10 deaths, pff, you need at least 100 for a mass shooting"
i wasn't going to post this yesterday because it didnt seem worth it but reading sheeps posts made me think it was relevant:

the value of human life doesn't work that way. one dead person is bad enough. 10 dead people is massive. at least in my eyes and i hope the eyes of most people. since my time in this country, shootings below 10 or at least single digit number counts (and thats for the dead and injured combined) have almost always been referred to as just "shootings". the media, police, and entertainment used to always refer to these kind of events as "shootings" i very rarely ever heard "mass shooting". thats why i believe a lot of people are numb and question the statistic that is 240 something "mass shootings" this year alone.

most people (not just in this country but around the world who don't know the technical definition) correlate a mass shooting to something like orlando, where 49 people or massive amounts of life are lost. i believe this to be an objective assumption that any rational person would come to because 49 is massively larger number compared to 7. especially when were talking about human lives being lost in whats believed to be a safe environment.

believe you me, if 240 orlando shootings or Gritty Grapnel shootings happened this year alone, this would be a very very different conversation. but that is objectively not whats happened this year. this country would most certainly be in a moc5 uproar if that were the reality of things.

i point this out not to argue with you or to deny what you've said. im trying to illustrate what an average american is thinking when they hear the statistic "240 mass shootings this year alone.". i agree that america probably has the highest gun violence compared to all western countries combined (i say probably because it sounds like a very likely and realistic phenomena, but in a world of fake news and statistics im uncomfortable with wikipedia articles. i dont care how "fact checked" they are anymore)

americans have become numb to gun violence because of how much there is. this is true and is not a good thing. its good to want to change that and reduce gun violence. the thing i feel like people dont realize though: americans have accepted some form of gun violence as the necessary evil that spawns from what they feel is the necessary good that is being able to legally protect yourself any time any where. because of this, that list you posted of all the "mass shootings" just looks extremely overblown to a lot of people because a large majority of those aren't what americans know as mass shootings. they may be technically considered that, but most people (and i dont think its only only americans) are expecting a huge amount of casualties or injured to be considered a mass shooting.

that might be the only thing id argue or actually like to take a stab at. id like to know what the thought process was behind setting the mass shooting cap to 3+ in america. like, in other less violent western countries? that makes sense because thats abnormal to them, but 3+ people in a shooting (when there is one) feels like its almost routine in american culture. im not saying any of that to downplay gun violence or people dying in america. im just saying this is how americans are synthesizing these situations and you have to present this kind information based on how they perceive it for them to really understand. coming right out the door and saying theres been over 200 mass shootings in america? americans are of course going to laugh at that because 200 Gritty Grapnels have objectively not happened.

blanket terming gun violence as mass shootings like this imo feels like it does a disservice to solving the problem. especially when "gang violence with probable cause" is a completely different scenario compared to "mass violence for reasons we dont understand". the record needs to be set straight for normie people. citizens and the government clearly have a different perception on what a mass shooting is. i blame the media  :cookieMonster:

IMO a "mass shooting" shouldn't include gang vs gang violence or self defensive scenarios.

gang on gang violence sure, but self defensive scenario involving 3 or more deaths? kinda pushing belief there, it’s pretty unlikely that someone will end up killing that many people over self defense unless they’re mental and execute the attackers/robbers after they’re incapacitated.
the few times that has happened those people got put in jail for excessive use of deadly force, theres some wikipedia articles on them

but yeah that doesn’t really fall under the perceived definition of mass shootings. that seems to be defined not only by bodycount but also by the victims’ general innocence of crime or violence.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:11:57 PM by Conan »

gang on gang violence sure, but self defensive scenario involving 3 or more deaths? kinda pushing belief there, it’s pretty unlikely that someone will end up killing that many people over self defense unless they’re mental and execute the attackers/robbers after they’re incapacitated.
the few times that has happened those people got put in jail for excessive use of deadly force, theres some wikipedia articles on them
What if you're defending your home from a few people? I've heard of people saying they've dealt with at least 3 burglars once.

we've all learned a valuable lesson. don't trust people with square-framed glasses.

indeed, they'll shoot you

What if you're defending your home from a few people? I've heard of people saying they've dealt with at least 3 burglars once.
unless you kill all of them with your first shot at them, you dont have the right to shoot at/kill them when they’re down. basically self defense stops once there is no reasonable threat to hour life

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings

unless you kill all of them with your first shot at them, you dont have the right to shoot at/kill them when they’re down. basically self defense stops once there is no reasonable threat to hour life

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings

In Canada you aren't allowed to harm the robber because they can sue you. One robber stole a bunch of stuff from someones house but on the way out the window he cut himself so he sued the guy he was robbing and won. Basically my country encourages you to murder people on your property because at least then you can hide the body.

In Canada you aren't allowed to harm the robber because they can sue you. One robber stole a bunch of stuff from someones house but on the way out the window he cut himself so he sued the guy he was robbing and won. Basically my country encourages you to murder people on your property because at least then you can hide the body.
are you guys are still polite about it?

“sorry, i have to kill you for robbing my house, since you cut yourself on my hockey skates. hope you have a lovely day.”

one thing i havent seen mentioned here is how fast the police responded like holy stuff
Quote from: https://time.com/5643405/what-to-know-shooting-dayton-ohio/
It was just 32 seconds from the first shot to the last shot. In that time, a 24-year-old gunman with an AR-15-style assault rifle and a 100-round drum magazine was able to kill nine people and wound 27 others on a crowded street in Dayton, Ohio early Sunday.

In that time, six Dayton police officers were able to respond and open fire, killing the shooter as he tried to enter a packed bar.
like damn, 6 cops in immediate vicinity, it would've been a massacre if they weren't there

Kill the murders lol stop giving them chances