[ness] twitter ACCIDENTALLY makes profit off users' security info

Author Topic: [ness] twitter ACCIDENTALLY makes profit off users' security info  (Read 704 times)

So basically they "accidentally" made a profit off their users' security info by letting the advertisers make use of uhhhhhhhhhhhh private info which is hella vague but it seems to be kinda vague, stuff like email, phone numbers and whenever you use 2fa or not
but dont worry they dont know ur email haha they just matched people based on their email, phone and 2fa also if you are a chad that has ad tailored off on your twitter acc then you arent affected by this also trust them it was totally a accident

source: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/09/twitter_data_leak/
fine of 5 million dollars incoming

this isn't news. facebook do this every day.

this isn't news. facebook do this every day.
Thanks Tony, very cool.

On a less dismissive note, hopefully this will lead to something other than nothing.

corporations don't exist to serve the people

but its a tailored ad service... isn't that how... tailored ads work...? thats like getting a haircut that you willingly asked for and then when it's done you're like 'why did you give me a haircut' and the barber is like 'oh stuff i accidentally cut your hair my bad' like its stupid vs stupid right there
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 12:42:18 PM by PhantOS »

noo not our ssecret locked accounts we use for research only haha

but its a tailored ad service... isn't that how... tailored ads work...? thats like getting a haircut that you willingly asked for and then when it's done you're like 'why did you give me a haircut' and the barber is like 'oh stuff i accidentally cut your hair my bad' like its stupid vs stupid right there
theres a difference between an advertiser saying "show this ad to people under 20" and "give me all the names, emails and phone numbers of people under 20 and I'll give you 500$"

to build on aide's point - the advertisers got the raw data. usually how its supposed to work is you give twitter your data (as part of signing up), and advertisers ask twitter to target certain demographics when displaying their ad's. twitter isn't supposed to release your data to advertisers; its not necessary for targeted advertisement cause twitter is the one handling the code that determines what ad is shown to who, not the advertiser.

Idk why anyone is surprised, until our politicians nut up (never gonna happen) these tech companies will continued to trample over our constitutional rights