[Issue: WiFi] Cannot play most online video games for more than 5 to 10 minutes

Author Topic: [Issue: WiFi] Cannot play most online video games for more than 5 to 10 minutes  (Read 1175 times)

woah blockland forums is still up, at least i have a forum with a community of sane people

Hello everyone, and I've got an issue on my hands that I need your help with (because apparently, windows support forums haven't helped with resolving the issue).

For the past week or so, I've had an issue where on most online games I lose connection to after about 5 or 10 minutes of playing on the server/match/etc. On certain online servers on games like Brickadia and Minecraft, this issue never appears, Not to mention that this network I'm on -- my mom's WiFi network -- is the only one experiencing this issue, on my device only. All other WiFi connections I go to don't even have this issue and work like nothing's wrong. Plus, Discord, YouTube, and pretty much every other social media place and literally every website I go to works completely fine; it's just online video games that I'm having an issue with.

I've tried changing the DNS server for the connection, to no effect, and even updating my computer, to no avail.

Can I get some help? Thanks in advance! I'm willing to provide more information if anything mentioned above is unclear, or you need to get your information straight.

ok i hate being grammatically correct but if it means getting a point across then i'm all for it, hope ur having a good day everyone

Loose cables connecting the router?

what kind of games do you have problems with

interesting issue that could be a lot of things

do you have a dynamic ip/some sort of thing that constantly changes your ip? this could be locally (eg changing your local ip from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.168) or globally (unlikely since the isp has no reason to reissue your ip so frequently, but still possible probably). if you do, the games that you play that result in disconnects could just have no way to handle that and fail to reconnect

what kind of games do you have problems with
literally any game i never mentioned in the original post: roblox, blockland, overwatch, u name it

do you have a dynamic ip/some sort of thing that constantly changes your ip? this could be locally (eg changing your local ip from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.168) or globally (unlikely since the isp has no reason to reissue your ip so frequently, but still possible probably). if you do, the games that you play that result in disconnects could just have no way to handle that and fail to reconnect
normally windows has an automatic IP address setting if i remember correctly, but if i don't have this issue anywhere else with the setting turned on, then i don't think having it on at my mom's house should cause issues either. the two most frequent places i go to for playing games r my mom's house and my grandparents' house. at my grandparents' house, everything works just fine, which was also (sort of) mentioned in the original post.

quick update: tried manually setting my DNS server and IP address, still got the same results

maybe your connection keeps resetting for some reason? that could trigger a new ip being assigned, even if you set it locally. you can confirm this is the issue if you check your actual local ip every time you dc

potentially try out a plug-in wifi adapter (eg usb) and see if that fixes it

maybe your connection keeps resetting for some reason? that could trigger a new ip being assigned, even if you set it locally. you can confirm this is the issue if you check your actual local ip every time you dc

potentially try out a plug-in wifi adapter (eg usb) and see if that fixes it
tried to check for IP changes, and well, the IP never changes. plus, i did a speed test while the game was frozen, and the site was experiencing no issues whatsoever with getting a scan done.

Could be windows firewall being stupid with your games and blocking the connection from a false positive or something, maybe try fully disabling / adding an exception to those games in Windows Firewall and see if it's still happening?

oh wait, i got a solution: simply updating the drivers for my wifi has done the trick

ooooooooohhhhhhhhh

thanks everyone for the help. locked topic.