Blockland Forums > Gallery

Saturn V

<< < (2/2)

UnRegistered:

--- Quote from: jeprimer on January 24, 2020, 11:40:57 PM ---this is kind of epic, it's cool to see full scale builds in blockland. it shows how HUGE this thing was! i felt like i knew a lot about rockets, but this build kind of blows me away... this thing is huge

edit: hold on.. this is ~0.3 the original size? holy stuff.. my mind continues to be blown

--- End quote ---

The scale is very peculiar to calculate actually, I'm not entirely sure the exact conversion because I used a medium for creating the model before I created it in Blockland.

I studied and collected all the information from NASA's website and other sources for schematics of each stage and all the components, I sketched it out on paper as well. I then used Valve's Hammer Editor (because I'm a veteran level designer and I know how to use this program even in my sleep) to create a free from model using scale conversions.
1 Hammer unit is 1/16 of a foot. After I built a basic outline of the model I then scaled it .3625 the size in the editor. The reason for such a arbitrary value was because it lined up to be exactly 192 units/studs in diameter, so both values were equivalent in game and in editor. So I essentially made it so that 1 Hammer unit was equivalent to 1 Blockland stud.

So It should be .3625 of the real size, but seeing how it's vastly larger than I anticipated. I have to take into account that the Blockland stud isn't actually equivalent to a Hammer unit and that the player size is different from the Source Engine based titles.

Regardless if I screwed up the scaling, This size allows the proper resolution that I was looking for anyhow. I don't think I could've built this any smaller without a significant loss in quality and detail.

For whomever wants to actually find the proper scale factor go right ahead.
1 x 1 x 1 Blockland brick = 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.6 Torque units
Real Life Saturn V is 363ft tall
Blockland Saturn V is 2,106 Bricks tall

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version