Mastodon | an Email system, but for Social Media

Author Topic: Mastodon | an Email system, but for Social Media  (Read 2286 times)

do you have to create an account for each server?
No. You only need one account.
arent client/server models still a centralized system? i thought the appeal was it was decentralized?
No, client-server models are not an inherently centralized system.

centralization is meaning one single system is where it all is connected. This is decentralized because many different
servers host an ActivityPub system. Think of it as a situation in which Yahoo Mail went under. Email isn't gone because Hotmail is gone.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:40:35 AM by Master Matthew² »

No. You only need one account. No, client-server models are not an inherently centralized system.

centralization is meaning one single system is where it all is connected. This is decentralized because many different
servers host an ActivityPub system. Think of it as a situation in which Yahoo Mail went under. Email isn't gone because Hotmail is gone.

ignore this post I'm being dumb

is this p2p? or something like tor in terms of using volunteers for nodes/hosting?

is this p2p? or something like tor in terms of using volunteers for nodes/hosting?
it's neither really. individuals host their own instances of it, where you can make an account. within that instance it behaves like twitter, but the person hosting it has all the control, as opposed to the person who created mastodon

master matthew's email brown townogy is stupid, you can think of it more like discord servers, except for the fact that mastodon itself, as an organization, can't unilaterally impose any restrictions on you. instances can interact with each other, so you can follow an account on a different instance regardless of what instance you're on, but every instance decides for itself what content is to be permitted on it. literally the only way that it's like email is that it uses the @ symbol before a domain name to specify what instance a given account is from

it's neither really. individuals host their own instances of it, where you can make an account. within that instance it behaves like twitter, but the person hosting it has all the control, as opposed to the person who created mastodon

master matthew's email brown townogy is stupid, you can think of it more like discord servers, except for the fact that mastodon itself, as an organization, can't unilaterally impose any restrictions on you. instances can interact with each other, so you can follow an account on a different instance regardless of what instance you're on, but every instance decides for itself what content is to be permitted on it. literally the only way that it's like email is that it uses the @ symbol before a domain name to specify what instance a given account is from
Truthfully I don't like the email brown townogy either. But I really couldn't think of anything better.