Who are some of the worst TTRPG players you've dealt with?

Author Topic: Who are some of the worst TTRPG players you've dealt with?  (Read 936 times)

It seems like a lot of people here have played TTRPGs before, like D&D or Pathfinder. My personal favorite is GURPS because of how flexible it is, but that's off topic. I want to hear all your stories about the stuffty, handicapped, and downright malicious players you've met and how you dealt with the situation.

When I was in high school, we had this sort of tabletop games club that I was a part of as soon as it had opened. A year in, some kid showed up wanting to GM a campaign of Pathfinder. No one knew who he was or how well he could GM, but since he was going to be using a module I figured it'd be fine. I made a cavalier and was excited to try a new system. Anyway, we're all gathered around with snacks and stuff, and he says we're in a tavern and we all meet each other. And then guards come in trying to arrest us. He never really gave us a chance to talk in character, he just said "you meet" and then attacked us with nigh-invulnerable guards out of nowhere. Somehow we ended up in a sewer and got into a fight with a dragon that killed a few party members and then the first session ended... I just didn't bother going back to that one. Apparently he kept up the same thing later, speeding people along the module with no conversations and painfully deadly fights.

One time I was hosting an online game for some people on this forum (you know who you are) and it was going well for a while. There was one pretty annoying guy going by the name of "Dakaru" who had aspergers and was an obsessive scalie. He constantly mentioned his tail-loving special interest and how he was having "fun times with snake" after he had tamed a python. He also said a bunch of other handicapped things like "cigarettes help if you have asthma" and "i can't go to the DMV because i'm too anxious so i'll just sit here and let bad things happen" (ad-libbing the last one, but that's what he was doing.) He eventually got in an argument with another player and said that he's not going to stick around if we're gonna argue with him on whatever they were talking about, and most of us just waved him goodbye. I want to say that the campaign got better after he left, and it probably would have but I was starting to turn into a forget up with my writing skills failing me so the campaign ended just a few sessions later.

Well, since this has its own dedicated topic now, I guess I should just write about one particular story that always irks me when I think about it.

I want to say about maybe 6 or 7 months ago, I joined a Pathfinder 2e campaign run by one of my 'friends', (who I later hosted a game for and he and another player ended up contributing to it immediately going into the toilet). Playing a bit in a some of his earlier campaigns The DM wanted me to play a more chaotic character than I had in the past, usually I played extremely good and morally upstanding healers who kept the party on the right track, and kept them alive. This time he wanted me to play one of my other characters, a Bard by the name of Follio the Jester, an all around unhinged Half-Elf who basically only valued the lives of his party and those that the party wanted to live. Now, I'm not a person who plays chaotic alignments as "Chaotic Stupid", I always worked together with my party to achieve goals, and never attempted to cause friction. The majority of my hi-jinks was method-acting on the part of Follio. This amounted to things like:

• Tracking down the man who single-handedly got him fired from his gig at a circus, and paying the rest of the party members to aid him in his revenge. (This was in the first session and got the party on the trail of the main plot)
• Attempting to steal a plot-relevant artifact with the party rogue, after hearing a rustling in a nearby room, Follio was told to "keep quiet" (even though he hadn't said anything). Follio then immediately turned around, fiddled around with something, and turned back around with false 'stitches' around his mouth, done with make-up, he then neglected to say a single word, responding with bodily gestures and occasionally pointing to his mouth, until someone wiped the make-up off his face.
• Screaming at a fleeing alien that tried to kill the party and also didn't understand his language "IF YOU DON'T STOP I'M GOING TO STAB YOU!". He didn't stop.

Needless to say, I was having a blast playing as Follio. And the DM and the rest of the party absolutely ADORED him, to my genuine surprise. The reason he wanted Follio in the campaign in the first place was because I had played him earlier in some of his One-Shots, and the DM and others found him so funny that whenever I mentioned I would be playing as him, they would always get excited. However, there was one outlier that ended up disliking Follio and everything that he stood for (which was nothing, which I think made her hate him more). Sadly it was the DM's girlfriend who I'll call Mave, as that was her character's name at the time. Oddly enough it only took one real instance of actual conflict to get her to switch from disliking but tolerating him to outright hating him. You see, in one of the sessions for the campaign were all doing a sort of 'collaborative lie' to a certain wizard for a reason I honestly can't quite remember, and Follio/I ended up accidentally sharing a piece of information I shouldn't have. Mave took the opportunity to yell at me, not Follio, me. Now, Follio may be ostentatious and flamboyant, but I'm not. I'm pretty shy and non-combative, so I simply apologized to her and said it was a mistake and completely unintentional as I didn't know precisely where the lie was going, because we hadn't coordinated it earlier in the first place. The rest of the party understood and moved on, still succeeding in convincing the wizard, however while she sort of simmered down, she didn't talk for the rest of the game. The session ended normally, and we all said our goodbyes. Later on the next week, the day before the game, the DM messages me asking if I can play a different character for the next session. I ask why, he says that he doesn't fit well with the party, of course I know the real reason why he wants me to switch, but nevertheless I relent and say I'll make a new character. I go on to ask the rest of the party privately if they had any trouble with Follio, and if they did, that I would change the way I played him if I was causing too much trouble. They all responded that they loved Follio, and didn't need me to change the way I played. They seemed unaware that the DM had recently asked me to switch, and when the next game day rolled around everyone seemed shocked that Follio was gone. Everyone except Mave. I left shortly after that, saying I had real-life stuff to contend with, which was partly true. However, I can't deny that making me change characters at his girlfriend's behest definitely had an influence on me.

(I have more stories about this group of people, if you guys want me to continue)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:57:55 AM by bloody jumper »

i always want stories that make me angry at people i'll never meet, keep 'em coming

I once had someone play as that chaotic stupid that you mentioned earlier. Well, the character was actually lawful good but the guy playing it was chaotic stupid. Anyway, my friend Logan was playing a character from a race of bird people called the "aararoosterra" and because of some jokes he made him pretty much an all american bald eagle with a star spangled banner as a cape. It was a silly idea but it was just a short high school game so I wasn't worried about being super serious. Anyway, bandits raid the caravan they're traveling in as part of the first session (I'm DMing) and they fight them off with the help of a few guards, but not before someone important was kidnapped. Logan's character hid inside of a wagon after getting hit by a fire bolt, and stayed out of the majority of the fight. Mr. Stupid took offense to that and after some one-sided arguing, decided to stab him. Logan being the power gamer that he is demonstrated why that was a bad idea by flying out of range of the Mr. Stupid's fighter and filling him with arrows.

Details are foggy because this was dumb and a long while ago, but the game which was supposed to be run by two GMs with a good/evil party ended up just following around Mr. Stupid as he failed every social convention imaginable. I tried to run everything as straight as possible but he ran the gambit of loveually harassing a powerful druid (which I described much like the dryad from Terraria. Guess he couldn't handle a little skin.) to threatening a large group of civilians because they didn't have the intel that he wanted. I learned that his mom did crack while pregnant so that might have something to do with it...

i am my own worst TTRPG player experience because every time i've tried to play d&d it was too fast paced and i freeze up when my character is supposed to say or do something :panda:

By popular demand of that Rigel guy, another story with the same cast of characters. This time the story of how one of my sessions was thrown down a well in a matter of two hours. This may get long, so strap yourselves in. Here's the cast of characters.

Me - Me, the DM
Mave -  Monkey's girlfriend, who basically has him wrapped around her finger
Monkey - Person who usually DM's
Muffin - The guy who's always picked on by Monkey and Mave, but never seems to leave their campaigns
Zindof - Chill dude, sadly pretty flaky when it comes to TTRPG's, which comes up in this story

This was 2 or 3 months ago. I had an idea for a D&D 5e campaign that I was extremely excited about, 3000 words worth of notes in a matter of a week after I had first come up with it. I laid out the basic plot, some gods (that they wouldn't encounter until later), and the first town as a sort of 'demo'. Now, the following story isn't going to make sense without a synopsis of how my world works, so I'll try to keep it quick and simple. The world is ruled by a 'mad god' who grants any prayer that comes his way, always twisting it in a fashion to both grant the wish, and punish the person who makes the prayer. Collateral damage is almost always assured as a result of a prayer. Think of it like a genie that rules the whole world. All the PC's would make a prayer in their backstory that backfires and causes them to resent and want to kill/subdue the mad god for the good of the world they live in. All the people in my group seemed extremely interested in my concept when I brought it up with them, and they all wanted to play. I was extremely flattered. Sadly a few problems began to show before the game even began, I'll make a list as to not assault your eyes with a wall of text.

• With the rest of the group making superficial prayers (that didn't affect game balance/combat) Muffin wanted to be whole size group LARGER than the rest of the party, with basically 0 penalty. I told him that since the rest of the group was making superficial wishes, and that I couldn't do that. He grumbled. A lot. This of course didn't stop him from doing what he did in the game, even though he should have known his request was a no-go. I of course still allowed him to be big (he was a Dragonborn the size of a Goliath) but it wouldn't have any affect on his stats.
• Monkey (again, this was the guy who usually DM'd for us) who I was going to for advice attempting to get me to throw out basically all of another player's backstory because it was too long.
• Zindof, who attempted to make a character who "loved" the mad god. Which made absolutely 0 sense as to why he would be traveling with a party who wanted to kill him.

So yeah, things weren't looking great from the outset. And honestly, I knew this game might end up being a stuff-show the moment the first red flag was raised. So game night arrives, all my hard work finally coming to fruition. I've made a town with the Main Quest and 4 side quests (all of these quests having 2-3 separate endings except for the Main Quest, since that feeds into another quest). The side quests go on for a while, so I hoped that would keep them distracted and entertained if they didn't want to do the Main Quest the moment they got to town. I swear the first thing that happens is Monkey knocks on 2 separate houses to ask them about nothing, forcing me to come up with 4 characters on the spot, right before he was going to go for the trifecta, the rest of the party pulled him away. Muffin was still somehow convinced that his character was Large, and was quickly shot down by the rest of the party causing him to grumble for almost the rest of the game (he perked up when he started rolling really well in a fight later on). Mave ended up carrying Monkey around (he was a goblinoid), so he couldn't go anywhere unsupervised. The party decides to go to the local tavern, where long story short, they learn that the well in town is apparently whispering and attempting to get people to jump in with promises of wealth and power. Obviously, no one has been dumb enough to believe it. The party decides to investigate, and all go to the well, ignoring its pleas for someone to jump down. Mave decides to hold Monkey over the well mentioning it's by his SCARF. Obviously the scarf comes loose, and everyone starts rolling dex saves, with Zindof coming in clutch and catching the goblin before he became the ghost's dinner. This is where it gets bad

Monkey, the moment he's saved by Zindof, runs screaming out of town. Saying that he won't be coming back because he's scared of the party, and I stuff you not, says "That's what my character would do". I immediately respond with "Then roll a new character.". Monkey, as if by magic, comes up with reasons to go back to town. Zindof obliges by running after Monkey and giving him a pep-talk to come back. When they return, Mave and Muffin have gone inside the Alderman's house to take the job for the ghost in the well. The Alderman tells them there's a cave to the east of town that leads to the aquifer that the well draws from, and they should be able to access it from there. They come to an agreement, and leave. They tell the others where they're going, and they all begin marching due east, eventually making it to the cave. Another long story short, they find out that the cave is occupied by a Bugbear and a Hobgoblin on opposing branches of the cave. Each of them want the other dead, with the Hobgoblin hinting that maybe there could be peace between them if they attempted to talk it out. The party attempts to convince the Bugbear, but they all fail on their persuasion checks, the Bugbear sees them as traitors to their earlier agreement to kill the Hobgoblin, and combat begins. The fight goes somewhat smoothly until Mave decides to prepare an action to shoot at the Bugbear if he charges at her from behind a stack of boxes he's hiding behind, because one of the other casted Cause Fear earlier. However one of the other players charges the Bugbear, negating the need for the Bugbear to charge, so her prepared action doesn't go through. Obviously I should have ruled it so she still shot him, but I made a mistake, and even admitted to it. This doesn't stop her from going dead silent for the rest of the game though. Soon after that, Zindof leaves unexpectedly, leaving me, Muffin (who is having a good time because he's wrecking house during this fight), Monkey (who is mad because his girlfriend is mad), and Robin who is mad for obvious reasons. The moment combat ends, I stop the game, and leave the VC.

The next day, I get criticism from Mave saying I had made her the 'bad guy' for the scarf coming loose while she was holding Monkey over the well. That was the moment I promised myself that I would never host or be in one of their games again. Maybe a week or so later, I decide to host another game without Monkey or Mave. I took the most well-behaved players from my last game (Muffin and Zindof) who were happy to try again with another group, and decided to find another two players online. That's a whole different story though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:27:07 PM by bloody jumper »

this is one of the reasons why i think dnd is overrated

man we had this great campaign going, the dm had been working on it for days. 100 pages of story. really cool theme where you're supposed to find some sort of soul animal, and all your stats and powers are based on that animal. at the beginning, we sort of had a soul search where you completed various puzzles to get your soul animal pick. i ended up getting the phoenix, which had a really good resurrection ability and generally kicked ass.

the way that ended up working out was i sort of completed the puzzle by stealing other players' work, not even intentionally. this pissed off the person working on the puzzle so bad that he legit threw a temper tantrum, threw other people's stuff around, and screamed at everyone. someone told him to calm down and he screamed that she was a bitch and talked way too much (she was his crush). for like a straight day i was itching to lay a fist into his nose and break it. we never ended up finishing that dnd campaign because there was no way that we could exclude this guy from it. hell, we were playing the game in his dorm room. we did try another session but nobody was comfortable. this guy kept loud mouthing it off with his idiot friend who kept backing him up and nobody wanted to be around these two people.

i'm legit still pissed about this like a year later. that campaign would've lasted like 6 months and we would've had so many great stories from it. all it took was this guy acting like a 5 year old to ruin everything. not even the first or last time he acted like this. forget him.

maybe i'll get the dm to do the campaign this upcoming semester. the guy dropped out of college because he cheated on the same girl he yelled at and isn't coming back because he likes playing minecraft all day too much for his own good. honestly, thank god i never have to see his face again.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:19:51 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

Why couldn't you play without That Guy?

Why couldn't you play without That Guy?
he was basically the center of our social group for better or worse (mostly worse). everything mostly revolved around him and most of the time he wouldn't act like a chimpanzee so everyone else tolerated him. if we left him out of d&d he would've certainly heard that he was being excluded through his other friends and that drama was something everyone else was trying to avoid