aide33 is moving to new york city

Author Topic: aide33 is moving to new york city  (Read 1839 times)

hi a software engineer im conan

hi a software engineer im conan
greetings conan im a software engineer

where in NYC are you living? friend of mine lives in Lower Manhattan, so that's where we spent most of our time.

i was intentionally vague but if you really want to know im a software engineer
me too. i feel like the only person on this mf place who didn't first get into programming for bl. not that there is anything wrong with doing it for bl. i just think it's funny that I spent so long playing this game and yet it was something completely unrelated that got me into it. anyway congratz on da job. that nyc tech money do be hittin different

where in NYC are you living? friend of mine lives in Lower Manhattan, so that's where we spent most of our time.
i havent closed on a place yet but im looking in east village, UWS, or someplace in brooklyn
me too. i feel like the only person on this mf place who didn't first get into programming for bl.
ur speaking to a dude whos first line of code was torquescript
i just think it's funny that I spent so long playing this game and yet it was something completely unrelated that got me into it. anyway congratz on da job. that nyc tech money do be hittin different
it rly do be hittin

why owuld someone want to live in NYC

believe it or not, jobs pay significantly higher in huge cities like nyc, even when taking into account the cost of living

Because you can actually find a job? You get paid way more than other places?

It's a huge source of our economy in the USA which means literally anything you do in NYC will make you more money then anywhere else.  That basically means once you're sick of it and move away you're going to have insane savings compared to someone working in New Hampshire or some stuff.

If you buy a house in NYC it might cost more to start with but in the long run it will accrue more value than other places in the same amount of time I'm pretty sure too. If you can outright buy the house and you rent it rent is also higher so you'll make way more money.

Then you can sell the house move to someplace else and buy 3 houses.

edit:

To expand on this, if you can work and live in any place with a red marker you can afford anywhere there is a green marker.
If you live on a green marker... ur fukked
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:28:44 AM by Soukuw »

NYC costs more to live in the long run too. Ofc you make more. Balances out I think, but if it’s no better or worse and you don’t like the city, there’s no point in living there.
Getting nyc wages and traveling though, that is another story.

NYC costs more to live in the long run too. Ofc you make more. Balances out I think, but if it’s no better or worse and you don’t like the city, there’s no point in living there.
Getting nyc wages and traveling though, that is another story.
i hear this lie repeated so often its not even loving funny (EDIT: just to clarify, it does not balance out, you make significantly more money in nyc)

nyc is literally the only place in the world you can make 100k-400k per year (this is base salary not stocks and stuff) on graduation in engineering, and its nowhere as expensive as people make it out to seem.

the only people that use this talking point are unironic boomers or people who want to post-hoc rationalize never moving more than 10km away from where they where born.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:03:36 PM by Aide33 »