steam deck

Author Topic: steam deck  (Read 3790 times)

The only caveat I see is that.. this thing is loving massive lmao. Actually the biggest handheld ever made and puts the Game Gear & Atari Lynx to shame in terms of size.

Yeah the size is pretty damn massive. Likely still fine to carry around but it's a bit odd.

Comparing this to Steam Machines is silly. Steam Machines were doomed to fail from the start not only due to SteamOS Linux support stuff but because there was pretty much no target market. Either Steam users already had a PC or were better off part upgrading than getting a Steam Machine. This one at least targets a market, niche or not. It might not end up a smash hit but I think it will do well for everyone involved unless there are physical post launch issues involved.

i kinda want one ngl

i love the switch but i also love all the games on steam and switch games are the most fking expensive thing ever

also emulators

Snip
Switch is emulation beast when hacked
Also the cost of games can be solved by-
user was banned for this post

Switch is emulation beast when hacked
Also the cost of games can be solved by-
user was banned for this post
can you homebrew the switch? i havent looked into it

you can but i think its on specific OS versions because of nintendo's hatred for homebrewing

you can but i think its on specific OS versions because of nintendo's hatred for homebrewing
not os, but specific switch models (check your serial number). There was a hardware patch because nintendo got scared straight. They spent millions on security and nivida ruined it for them. nivida fixed it eventually but alot of the unpatched switches were still released.
Sadly switch lite is out of the picture as they made sure to patch it.

As far as I'm aware the main method is hardware specific to 2017/2018 models only unless something in the scene changed. It involves exploiting a recovery feature of the Tegra hardware by shorting out a specific pin on the Joy-Con rail with a paper clip. This prompt the system to think something is wrong and it boots up into this mode which opens it up for homebrew.

Personally I wouldn't do it tbh. The idea of risking my Nintendo account to a ban at all is too much for what its worth.

Also I still think a Steam Deck is much better option than a modded Switch. Better performance in third-party games (even against an Overclocked Switch obviously) and much better emulation like GC games at 100% speed and most likely Wii U emulation too.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 07:29:10 PM by ThatDarkNinja778 »

Snip

That is the ONLY method to softmod. If you’re willing to solder then you can get the sx OS chip and hack any mode of switch. Yeah team executer got arrested, but the Chinese have already made a thousand clone chips on aliexpress.

As far as risking your Nintendo account, IF you take the proper precautions, you won’t get banned. Or at least, I am not banned and I’ve been running this for about two years.

The steam deck IMO isn’t comparable. Steam deck IS a handheld computer. The thing is a powerhouse. But it isn’t out yet. So until then, we will see.