Quoting old and locked posts for reference sake, how to do it properly.

Author Topic: Quoting old and locked posts for reference sake, how to do it properly.  (Read 1393 times)

I'm going to show you how to quote old posts in newer posts. This won't let you necrobump or anything, but it will let you reference old posts if you need too.

I only posted this because it seems lots of newcomers don't read the rules and post referral links and other things, or post topics asking for warez links or stuff. I just noticed how Go+ got banned for posting a referral link.

(Thanks Badspot for stickying this!)

1. Do not post ambiguous topics.

2. Do not post adult content.
- That means no nudity or gross stuff.

3. No warez - Do not talk about pirating software AT ALL.

4. Use the Search feature before posting a question.

5. Do not plea for sympathy

* Do not make posts about how you are leaving the forums. Just leave.
    * Do not make posts about how the game isn't fun for you anymore.  Just stop playing.
    * Do not make posts about how you are going to kill yourself.  Just do it.

6. Think before you post - Completely unintelligible posts will be locked. Also read Badspot's topic above this one.

7. Do not flame - If the entire point of your post is to tell someone what an idiot they are, don't bother.

8. Do not cross post. - Do not post the same thing in more than one forum.

9. Do not advertise other forums.

10. No pyramid/referral schemes -  No one is going give you money or an iPod/flatscreeen monitor/xbox 360/whatever just for getting people to click on some crappy link.  It's a scam to get you to spam forums for them.  Stop posting this crap.

Lets break down a quote so I can show you how to take an old quote from a locked post and use it  for reference in newer posts.

Code: [Select]
[quote author=Miga link=topic=16580.msg227654#msg227654 date=1179900975]
I only posted this because it seems lots of newcomers don't read the rules and post referral links and other things, or post topics asking for warez links or stuff. I just noticed how Go+ got banned for posting a referral link.

(Thanks Badspot for stickying this!)
[b]
1. Do not post [url=http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=ambiguous&x=0&y=0]ambiguous[/url] topics.[/b]
[b]
2. Do not post adult content. [/b]- That means no nudity or gross stuff.

[b]3. No warez [/b]- Do not talk about pirating software [color=red]AT ALL[/color].

[b]4. Use the [url=http://www.blockland.us/smf/index.php?action=search]Search[/url] feature before posting a question.[/b]

[b]5. Do not plea for sympathy[/b]

* Do not make posts about how you are leaving the forums. Just leave.
    * Do not make posts about how the game isn't fun for you anymore.  Just stop playing.
    * Do not make posts about how you are going to kill yourself.  Just do it.

[b]6. Think before you post[/b] - Completely unintelligible posts will be locked. [color=red]Also read Badspot's topic above this one[/color].

[b]7. Do not flame[/b] - If the entire point of your post is to tell someone what an idiot they are, don't bother.

[b]8. Do not cross post.[/b] - Do not post the same thing in more than one forum.

[b]9. Do not advertise other forums.[/b]

[b]10. No [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme]pyramid/referral schemes[/url][/b] -  No one is going give you money or an iPod/flatscreeen monitor/xbox 360/whatever just for getting people to click on some crappy link.  It's a scam to get you to spam forums for them.  Stop posting this crap.
[/quote]

let's start with this:

This is the Author's name. This can literally say anything, but for authenticity, take the username from the post and put it here.
author=Miga

link=topic=16580.msg227654#msg227654

this is the url it will take everything after https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?, and it will take you there.

to get a posts url to include the msg code like ".msg227654#msg227654" instead of just the topic number, click the posts time stamp. which would look like this:

May 23, 2007, 02:16:15 AM

date=1179900975

now this is the timestamp. It is the current time in seconds, and I think it doesn't account for DST. so you may have to adjust the hour.

https://currentmillis.com/

put it through this converter an take the last 3 seconds off.

Now if you do this without adjusting the hour it will have a timestamp that looks like this:

but even once you take off the end zeroes, it may show the time as an hour off. just go back in and lower or raise the hour until the timestamp is shown properly in the preview.

As far as formatting the post, I hope I don't have to explain that here, just try and get the formatting to match the original post in your preview.

but for links in particular, you can hover over and right click and click "copy link" or "copy link address" and it should just put the link into your clipboard instead of having to go entirely to that url.

And again, because I know someone will miss it. this does NOT enable you to necro bump, this is for referencing old posts in newer posts, not for exploiting the website.

you don't have to do anything special on old threads, if you have quick reply enabled you can just click the button and it works. that doesn't work for locked topics tho. I made a userscript for it a long time ago but it broke after the site update. maybe I'll try and fix it real quick

nevermind, I remember now why I didn't fix it, the "endpoint" for quick quotes returns empty for posts in locked threads. rest in pieces

nevermind, I remember now why I didn't fix it, the "endpoint" for quick quotes returns empty for posts in locked threads. rest in pieces

I mean you could pull a script that gets the user name post. The post id. The html that represents the post. And have that all go through and be added to your clipboard as the quote. I know thats generalizing it quite a bit. But ill have to see if that can be done through javascript.

you should recreate the functionality for quick-edit because it has use for things like bumping topics that go over the 2 month limit which is pathetically short for the forums current state

I mean you could pull a script that gets the user name post. The post id. The html that represents the post. And have that all go through and be added to your clipboard as the quote. I know thats generalizing it quite a bit. But ill have to see if that can be done through javascript.
everything in there is technically possible but html is kind of useless since you can't post with actual html
anyway here is the old userscript if you want to look at it
https://github.com/foxscotch/userscripts/blob/main/BLF/Locked%20topic%20quotes.js
there's also some other stuff in there. probably all of it no longer works with the new theme