the stagnation of blockland

Author Topic: the stagnation of blockland  (Read 21176 times)

On a related note, just how many updates did Blockland get that couldn't be done before v21 anyway?

Badspot claimed Shadows and Shaders couldn't co-exist with "Interiors and Terrains"

I really doubt that claim, and honestly, I think it was more likely that he couldn't figure out
how to make shadows and shaders look good inside of maps like Bedroom, and decided to axe them.

I can see how interiors and terrains could've been a bridge too far for shaders/shadows, considering how almost every single graphical system in blockland immediately breaks when you enable shaders; ranging from projectile textures to colorshifted additive transparency. But the outright lie was that it was preventing anything else and that there would be an acceptable alternative

Badspot claimed Shadows and Shaders couldn't co-exist with "Interiors and Terrains"

I really doubt that claim, and honestly, I think it was more likely that he couldn't figure out
how to make shadows and shaders look good inside of maps like Bedroom, and decided to axe them.
Aside from that, what new additions have we gotten since then that couldn't be done when we did have interiors and terrains? Like the bots, the treasure chest and doors, the teleporter brick, etc

We were told that the interiors and terrains made Blockland's development harder or something like that, but what did we really get out of their removal besides the shadows and shaders that couldn't be done otherwise?

Aside from that, what new additions have we gotten since then that couldn't be done when we did have interiors and terrains? Like the bots, the treasure chest and doors, the teleporter brick, etc

We were told that the interiors and terrains made Blockland's development harder or something like that, but what did we really get out of their removal besides the shadows and shaders that couldn't be done otherwise?
my point is, I don't even think the shadows and shaders needed the removal of maps.

my point is, I don't even think the shadows and shaders needed the removal of maps.
maps are back though, documentation is a little convoluted and no one is willing to make new ones, but gsf did bring them back.

maps are back though, documentation is a little convoluted and no one is willing to make new ones, but gsf did bring them back.

static maps are kinda cringe though
the collision system is limited, they use up a bunch of datablocks and iirc terrain is difficult to make work
plus from what i've seen the process for making a static map actually work is very tedious and boring

i'd make stuff for b4v21 but it having a whole 0 players for most of the year isnt very encouraging
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 05:24:47 PM by adel »

I'm not trying to disprove you or whatever, i'm genuinely asking out of curiosity if Blockland ever received an update post-shadows and shaders that justifies the trade off

I'm not trying to disprove you or whatever, i'm genuinely asking out of curiosity if Blockland ever received an update post-shadows and shaders that justifies the trade off

the only changes i can think of post v21 is gamemode support, more aiplayer functions and more game settings, none of which would have been impossible to put in v20

Not really, no.

It takes mods to even make the Shaders look decent, because the as is shaders are kinda garbage.

I can see how interiors and terrains could've been a bridge too far for shaders/shadows, considering how almost every single graphical system in blockland immediately breaks when you enable shaders; ranging from projectile textures to colorshifted additive transparency. But the outright lie was that it was preventing anything else and that there would be an acceptable alternative

Yes. Exactly.

Shadows&Shaders might have broken on most maps, so why not leave that to map devs and clients?
Disable/Enable Map Shaders. Have them disabled by default for the client, and disabled by default for
default maps like Bedroom, Kitchen, Slopes, etc.

Blockland now requires multiplayer to be fun. Everything about Blockland is built to lean against multiplayer.
Back in the Pre V21 days, with all the maps, builds and content available, even if you were on the game alone,
Blockland could be fun.
Rosy retrospect.

Have them disabled by default for the client, and disabled by default for default maps like Bedroom, Kitchen, Slopes, etc.

Yeah but that's the kind of decision making process someone with their head not up their ass (i.e. not badspot) would have done - or just axe the shaders entirely, they sucked, and I dont think anyone even uses them regularly.

And on the subject of the thread I'm in camp "Blockland needs a decompilation/port/fork/whatever." - but the thing is unless that decompilation works perfectly with all the existing mods it's gonna be pretty pointless. I don't think any of the people making mods - not to mention all the modmakers who quit years ago - are gonna have much fun tweaking everything they ever put out to and then re-hosting it.

A bigger problem is there's kinda nowhere for any sort of community to congregate - forums are locked, steam forums are in a similar state to this one of constant "bl is dead", and forget discords and forget anyone who suggests them - those are even worse.

or just axe the shaders entirely, they sucked, and I dont think anyone even uses them regularly.
I wouldn't say they suck, they're definitely costly on the engine, but they look better with shader mods that i do see a bunch of people using

BTW I was wrong about how ddosing was worse than may 2nd, I just checked blockland.online's stats and blockland's average playercount dropped by like half (this is an approximation since blockland.online only takes the playercount at 6pm cst i assume). HOWEVER, medrp's return has made me a tiny bit hopeful that blockland might push on for a gain in active players regardless if they're new or not, since medrp is back and has been consistently getting like 30-40 people. Another issue is that the game is currently at a point where there's just gaps of nothing, where there's either no servers being hosted that aren't just the same old dedicated servers that get old in like an hour, or there's a very niche server like despair fever, bcs, or merp with like 10+ people on it while other servers have 2 players. This is what blockland's server list is like 80% of the time, which also demotivates anyone from hosting because the niche people are gonna stay on the niche servers and the rest are just doing something else because they saw that nothing good had players earlier. This game thrives on servers either being interesting to play or having people to talk to, not ultra-niche servers and dev servers where the admins are afk & also you can't build. New players also are just gonna refund the game 3 days in after seeing that there have been less than 15 people online every time they've checked the game.

I do have a few things that can help blockland not have these gaps of just nothing for those willing to host stuff:

1. Create a dedicated schedule of when you're going to host so people KNOW when the good stuff is guaranteed to be hosted, since this will cause people to know when the playercount is going to increase, as well as giving other hosts knowledge on when a good opportunity exists to host. Also, like it or not Discord is literally the only place to congregate or advertise anymore that isn't just spamming "JOIN *server*" on glass chat, so just friggin make a server or advertise on Bcc so you can at least let people know when you're hosting.

2. The best kinds of dedicated servers are ones that do not get old after an hour or two of playing with ≥ 6 people. While any 24/7 dedicated server (that ISNT dev stuff) is a welcome addition since it gives more options, it's honestly best if a server is fun with both small and larger playercounts. I constantly see servers reach a peak of like 15+ and then quickly die because they weren't really made for what the player cap is, and become overcrowded. Stuff like solar apocalypse and aod (as much as i hate aod) are probably the greatest examples of this since they're rather grindy in nature, and hook people.

3. Don't not host because you think you won't get players, do so anyway, take the gamble, anything different being hosting is better than nothing. I've seen default freebuilds get like 12 people in the past few months because people were just on there and talking, so it doesn't really matter what exactly you're hosting just host SOMETHING, and also check the damn server list more than once a day if you're just looking to join a server since the playercount can radically change over the course of 5 minutes.

4. Literally ask previous hosts who don't play the game anymore if you can have their gamemode files and vice versa, I'm not joking. Despair Fever is one of blockland's last saving graces thanks to it finally being open sourced and ready to download, and there are tons of other gamemodes either are or going to be lost to obscurity. Ik there's the issue of potential backdoors if they use stuff like eval, but at least giving someone trustworthy enough the gamemode zip to at least host it would help tremendously. This also applies to saves, since most new potential hosts don't want to take the time to spend 100s of hours learning to build and event for a server that's not even guaranteed to get more than 10 people.

There are also extraneous reasons for dwindling playercount like friend groups breaking apart or no longer being interested in blockland, the fact that blockland hasn't been showcased by anyone lately (most people found blockland because of videos they saw online, and people unaware of blockland are still exposed to it without knowing what it is thanks to those two trogtor memes), ddosing, and the handicapped dismission the game immediately gets when mentioned anymore so they don't even bother (seriously, I'm so loving sick of conversations about this game immediately becoming "Yeah, too bad blockland is dead"). The things that would actually revive the game can unfortunately only be done by badspot, who does not give a stuff about this game and hasn't for almost/over a decade now, so it's best to at least try to hold this game up ourselves.