Food

Author Topic: Food  (Read 1921 times)

Food thread, post pictures of food, discuss food.

Started making bread for the first time, super fulfilling and tastes better than store bought bread. Flour recommendations highly appreciated. I want to get into milling my own.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/back-of-the-bag-oatmeal-bread-recipe

(Hour and a half later, then baked)

Also made fried dough the other day, it didn't really fluff up but tasted good.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/county-fair-fried-dough-recipe

Not shilling for king arthur btw, I've been using their recipes since I figured the protein would match as that's what I have and it would be better.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 06:43:13 AM by Soukuw »

i just use king arthur flour for my baking but it looks like you're already doing that lol

homemade bread is like always 10/10 tbh. you should try making sourdough

Baking is not my forte. I am gluten-free, so I have yet to find a good bread/dough recipe that doesn't come out to a cracker or dry out the next day. However, this trendy bakery in a neighboring state has pretty decent bread. I usually buy the mixes xd.

i just use king arthur flour for my baking but it looks like you're already doing that lol

homemade bread is like always 10/10 tbh. you should try making sourdough
I'll keep it in mind, I haven't really liked sourdough in the past but maybe if I make it myself.
Baking is not my forte. I am gluten-free, so I have yet to find a good bread/dough recipe that doesn't come out to a cracker or dry out the next day. However, this trendy bakery in a neighboring state has pretty decent bread. I usually buy the mixes xd.
Could it be how you're storing it? I found my bread got stale very quickly if it wasn't properly sealed in a tupperware. (You can actually see right below I didn't have a tall enough tupperware to fit my bread this time and I plastic wrapped it)

I'm on a quest to make the fluffiest pancakes. Also before I get stuff for the little black specks I made kielbasa in the same pan just before this.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 01:12:24 PM by Soukuw »

those are some nice looking pancakes. lately i've getting the urge to wake up early and make myself a massive breakfast.

those are some nice looking pancakes. lately i've getting the urge to wake up early and make myself a massive breakfast.
Do it. Pancakes genuinely make any day feel better. Tbh I put fruit on them and I don't eat a lot of fruit so I'm probably just depressed because of that lol

Two things that can help your pancakes: fluff your egg white before adding it and let your mixture settle in the fridge for a little bit (30 minutes is good but less is fine)

Crepes are also incredible and are fairly easy to make. I like them because they cook faster.

I'll keep it in mind, I haven't really liked sourdough in the past but maybe if I make it myself.
not a fan of the sour flavor?

not a fan of the sour flavor?
R u flirting with me? But nah not really haven't had in it a long time.

Rye is also ehh

R u flirting with me? But nah not really haven't had in it a long time.

Rye is also ehh

rye is so good, havent ate white much since

i'm not a big fan of rye tbh. it's probably my least favorite bread. but i mostly had it when i was a kid so maybe my opinion has changed now

Getting better I think. I need a different pan.

I just noticed you can see where I temped it on the left, there's a perfect circle.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:11:21 AM by Soukuw »

oh babey the oats on the top, beautiful

hows it taste?

oh babey the oats on the top, beautiful

hows it taste?
Better when I read the recipe closer. Pretty sure I mixed the rising times up and did 1 hour 30 minutes for the first rise and 1 hour for the second. Pretty sure that's why it's much less dense and much more fluffy than last. Crust is pretty hard which I kinda like but apparently I might be able to soften it up by putting tin foil on for the last 10 minutes to keep the moisture in. I really really need to read recipes closer. lol

I haven't worked the dough after the first proofing as much as they say to do so that might also make a huge difference. Still my best loaf so far I think.

Light Brown Sugar

1 Cup (8 oz/240g) white sugar
    1 teaspoon molasses (treacle)

Dark Brown Sugar

1 Cup (8 oz/240g) white sugar
    2 teaspoons molasses (treacle)

And it tastes better than regular brown sugar I think. Not my recipe of course.

crunchy crust is the stuff. idk why people don't like a good crunch on their crust. give me the heel of the french bread it's the best part baybee

baguette superior being