are we cursed?

Author Topic: are we cursed?  (Read 3657 times)

there arent any definitive answers to these questions, and answers that do exist arent easily accepted by all. selfishness comes from survival instincts, but otoh humans/primates are an inherently social species. theres no way to reconcile the two in a logical way as the premise/core assumptions you have are what define what answers work for you
socializing feels like an evolutionary means to an end and not as much about selfishness. for example, biologists organize to provide crutches to the damaged environment, clean up, plant new trees, etc. its a social activity that also involves socializing with other species of animals, through studying their environment, providing medical assistance. the process still causes indirect damage since all the materials used (metal, wood, electronics) involve ecological damage or child labor.

on the flipside, people can also socialize and organize into poaching parties and decimate whole species, murdering and driving them to extinction. the profits they make off their meat/hide/tusks helps the poachers feed themselves and their families and provide some selflessness or positivity as a means to and end.

its true that the way you perceive and define morals greatly changes the answer, making it super difficult. the answer i try to find in general is if the give-and-take nature of organic life is specific to the planet or is the best available strategy for survival in the universe. 
i reject the assumption that humans are selfish by nature, i feel like the only way we survived in nature is through collectively helping each other out

cavemen grouped into tribes and would outsmart and outrun prey, its literally the only way we weren't torn to shreds by every animal
i see it as collective selfishness. the cells and organs of a Flash Mober have evolved to work together to sustain itself, and they will enable the Flash Mob to commit atrocities with indifference as long as they are fed. in the end, the cells get all the energy and oxygen they want, and the murderer gets a vessel to harm others. our ancestors could collect and organize to hunt, build and survive more efficiently than the rest, and the ones that died at their feet enabled their success. countries at war have millions of citizens collectively working for their own self interest and their own survival. whether they approve or disapprove of their government's atrocities is irrelevant because they will still work to eat, pay rent and taxes and enable the war.

it feels like the only selfless thing to do is die/go extinct so you can free up resources for other creatures.

Don't everyone post at once

we aren't cursed the earth is cursed with us

it feels like the only selfless thing to do is die/go extinct so you can free up resources for other creatures.
sorta explains what jesus did

we aren't cursed the earth is cursed with us
what's the difference

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:57:45 AM by Goth77 »

i seriously cant imagine how badspot must feel reading this thread and thinking about the things that have happened in this game and its forums and how its all lead up to this one thread

what's the difference
the first poses us as the victim

yeah forget those ww1 vets who were too soft to stop Riddler, what a bunch of sissies
Those were the near end of the 'good' times, not the weak men.

The weak men caused WW2, the hard times.

The strong men came home from the war, created good times and the good times created boomers.

Those were the near end of the 'good' times, not the weak men.

The weak men caused WW2, the hard times.

The strong men came home from the war, created good times and the good times created boomers.

Precisely. The idea is that the "strong men" of WW1 made the good times (Roaring 20s), which made a lackadaisical mainstream culture that resulted in The Great Depression (bad times). In turn, The Great Depression called for men to be stronger and create the boomer generation. You got the memo, I appreciate you

For the general thought of selfishness, I hope if I had more I would give. Unfortunately as the state of things are I just need enough money to pull my rotten wisdom teeth and I think many share a similar feeling.

The worlds getting better every day and it's IMO fairly pessimistic to think otherwise. We're literally sitting atop the '(actually) golden' tool of peace, unadulterated beautiful human connection undivided fairly unhindered communication that spans across all languages and the globe as a whole. Never before has anything like this happened, this is 10,000 years in the making. Isn't this the start of literally everything Humans have been working for?

It kind of blows my mind and I think it's very beautiful.

The worlds getting better every day and it's IMO fairly pessimistic to think otherwise. We're literally sitting atop the '(actually) golden' tool of peace, unadulterated beautiful human connection undivided fairly unhindered communication that spans across all languages and the globe as a whole. Never before has anything like this happened, this is 10,000 years in the making. Isn't this the start of literally everything Humans have been working for?

It kind of blows my mind and I think it's very beautiful.
seems we as humans are both blessed and cursed at the same time. we age, we hunger, we tire, etc. these things could be seen as a curse or a blessing in disguise. experiencing life itself is indeed a very beautiful thing, provided you weren't born into slavery or some stuff - but even then people still manage to find joy in the little things in life, like humming a familiar tune or watching the sun set. "the world is getting better every day" is questionable however - from a basic standpoint looking at modern technology and human rights yes we have come a long way from our barbaric past, but we also have people addicted to way more drugs and forgeted up things than ever before - once beautiful cities now covered in graffiti and trash rampant with rodents and disease. I want to be optimistic so while I do agree the world is getting better everyday in many aspects, there is always room for improvement