blf might outlast kiwi farms lmao

Author Topic: blf might outlast kiwi farms lmao  (Read 12497 times)

internet culture has changed and as much as i love stuffting on idiots online, these kind of sites now are just breeding grounds for people who are radicalized in this kind of behavior. kiwifarms itself may not condone it but all it takes is one bad actor to do something foul (and by the looks of it it happens a lot)
Of course, but what does shutting down KF accomplish? They'll just go somewhere else you know?

4chan has been around significantly longer and has been the breeding grounds for much more terrible stuff yet the website is still up. We've seen a lot of terrible stuff spawn from Reddit too. However these sites weren't created for drama farming, I get that.

I can't really argue with what you're saying at all and it's agreeable, but despite KF's intended purpose a majority of the users and Iban/Null don't support private investigating or supremely edgy stuff like wishing for people to commit Self Delete. These issues are more an Internet anonymity issue than a KF issue IMO, and that's a much larger fish to fry. These issues exist on most if not all social media platforms. I don't think we can really propose a solution to that besides condoning that behavior and punishing it accordingly, there's no real way to truly stop it.

what is the difference between threats being posted on sites like kf than other social media platforms like facebook/twitter/youtube? i'm sure there have been more than thousands of such things posted on those websites, even murders/terror attacks that have been carried out on after being posted about on the bigger websites. but no one calls for facebook to be shut down. regardless of how you feel about kf, you have to admit that this campaign to get rid of it is orchestrated by media companies with much more than sheer good intentions. all of it's politically motivated, and will only embolden them further to come down harder on larger targets. sites like 4chan will be next, mark my words.
NVM someone beat me to the point I was typing up lol

I mean, if a website is a magnet for types who spew hatred towards marginalized groups and individuals, then threaten and harass them using their personal information, then yeah it probably would be a good idea to drop it, even if the management on the website does not explicitly condone it (though their apparently consistent hands-off approach to these things is a bit of an eyebrow raiser). In contrast, mainstream social media sites are vastly more diluted and are usually accountable to some degree. Twitter might attract some nefarious people who might initially fly under the radar due to the vast size of its userbase, but they eventually get dealt with after the moderators are made aware of it. There's a paradox-of-tolerance issue going on here; if you tolerate the intolerant, then the intolerance will spread. I'd know because the general toxicity of this forum during the mid-2010s directly affected my line of thinking through sheer social osmosis, and boy has it taken me a while to undo the damage.

Yeah, KF could be viewed as a "containment site," but it honestly benefits from being an extremely centralized resource—this results in the negative-influence thing that I described above, its (former) ease of discovery, and making personal information that people really want to keep private trivial to access. If it gets taken down, then people eventually drift: maybe they'll end up latching onto another platform, but when there's a few of them and a lot of people against that few then they won't be there for long. At the very least, forcing the site to go underground will keep the average joe from stumbling on it and spreading its gospel of stalking people that you think are weird.

Also, it's a site founded and run by Iban. What did you think was going to happen? Even the regulars on that site don't like him.

Of course, but what does shutting down KF accomplish? They'll just go somewhere else you know?
you're right, what we really need to do is kill everyone who used it

We need a way to rid ourselves of their impurity... we need something effective... a system.

I don't think there is anything wrong with documenting people and their stuffty behavior online and in the real world though, that's the thing. Many of the people being talked about on the site deserve to get dunked on. They're not just documenting children being silly or people making a dumb mistake that's then corrected, they're following people who are generally deranged and cause trouble everywhere we go. Many of the "victims" are borderline criminal, if not straight up criminal. If nobody is calling out someone's bullstuff, they're just gonna continue with the bullstuff. It's essentially social pressure, which is what the intention of the Drama subforum here on BLF is/was. If you can't punish someone directly, call them out and hopefully everyone telling them to stop convinces them to change their behavior for the better. There's not much else you can do ya know?

It doesn't sound like you've taken the time to really look at the website, because you're acting like this is just a hate forum that picks on innocent people for the lulz or something. It's not. Yes, there are and have been threads that are essentially just bullying, but a majority of posts and users are essentially just a news outlet for stuffty people. Documentation from the sidelines, not directly interacting with the people being "targeted".

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 07:55:18 PM by Mr. Bones »

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CLOUDFLARE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think there is anything wrong with documenting people and their stuffty behavior online and in the real world though, that's the thing. Many of the people being talked about on the site deserve to get dunked on. They're not just documenting children being silly or people making a dumb mistake that's then corrected, they're following people who are generally deranged and cause trouble everywhere we go. Many of the "victims" are borderline criminal, if not straight up criminal. If nobody is calling out someone's bullstuff, they're just gonna continue with the bullstuff. It's essentially social pressure, which is what the intention of the Drama subforum here on BLF is/was. If you can't punish someone directly, call them out and hopefully everyone telling them to stop convinces them to change their behavior for the better. There's not much else you can do ya know?

It doesn't sound like you've taken the time to really look at the website, because you're acting like this is just a hate forum that picks on innocent people for the lulz or something. It's not. Yes, there are and have been threads that are essentially just bullying, but a majority of posts and users are essentially just a news outlet for stuffty people. Documentation from the sidelines, not directly interacting with the people being "targeted".
wasnt the impetus to take down kiwifarms originating from a canadian trans streamer being targeted by users of the forum? what justified trying to track her down and harass her irl?

and on that note - what about chris chan, which was the original reason the forum was set up for? chris has only degenerated as much as he has because of the harassment he got for being targeted by online trolls. if there was no online focus on him he'd probably go by as a bog-standard autistic manchild who never grew up, rather than whatever forgeted-up title people give him now.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 08:57:18 PM by Conan »

on the chris chan note - just so everyone knows, the actual suspects involved in manipulating/goading chris into the recent atrocities have as of late been sending emails to KF begging null to remove the evidence of what they did from the forum, where it is all, naturally, archived. Null has actually done a fair amount to help chris.

what justified trying to track her down and harass her irl?
Nothing did. Infact most condone it, including IBan. Not to asskiss IBan here, but most people didn't think this was okay to do - including KF members and it's owner.

It's like someone in the thread said earlier, it doesn't take an entire community to investigate and harass someone. One bad actor can do this, and that's exactly what happened. You should be angry with the person/few people who thought this was okay, not with the website that massively and publicly condoned this. It's like when YouTube drama happens and fans of Youtuber A brigade to Youtuber B's channel to stuff on them because Youtuber A criticized them; even though Youtuber A never told their audience to go harass Youtuber B. In this situation would you blame the Youtuber, or would you blame the bad actors? The only reasonable answer is the latter. A website with thousands of users daily cannot and shouldn't be held responsible for the behavior of a few; if this was the case then most every social media platform should be shut down by the same logic.

and on that note - what about chris chan, which was the original reason the forum was set up for? chris has only degenerated as much as he has because of the harassment he got for being targeted by online trolls. if there was no online focus on him he'd probably go by as a bog-standard autistic manchild who never grew up, rather than whatever forgeted-up title people give him now.
Chris-chan is a victim of bullying, this isn't debatable. As stated earlier and if you're familiar with KF, most of it's members don't like IBan/Null for many reasons, the Chris obsession being one of them.

on the chris chan note - just so everyone knows, the actual suspects involved in manipulating/goading chris into the recent atrocities have as of late been sending emails to KF begging null to remove the evidence of what they did from the forum, where it is all, naturally, archived. Null has actually done a fair amount to help chris.
This. The people responsible for manipulating Chris are genuinely monsters - and because of KF everybody knows it. Especially the girl involved who's name I forget at the moment, I suspect she is on borrowed time and probably going to get in legal trouble soon enough, and she should. These folks are worse than most lolcows, especially worse than Chris. Chris up until recently was one of the lolcows who was actually not really harming anybody.

This isn't the case for most other people who are common subjects on KF though. Most of these people being documented are POS's, like potential or genuine child predators, people who abuse the courts to file false lawsuits, people who harass women online or IRL AKA extreme incels, deranged people who have been charged with crimes or soon will be, etc.

The lolcow's who ask for their threads to get removed/threaten legal action are the equivalent of criminals getting mad at someone ratting them out for informing police, they're upset that people are catching on to their stuffty behavior and want to censor it. I don't think I've seen a single case where a 'victim' was justified to ask for their thread to get taken down. stuffty people can't succeed if everyone knows that they're stuffty.

I heard someone posted a bomb threat on facebook.
I think it's time to shut that website down.

4chan going down probably would be a net benefit for the internet ngl
wrong. 4chan is amazing for research

@crook/mr. bones although you bring up valid points, i think there is an argument to be had that kf enabled those stuffty people to do those things by allowing the publication of other people's personal information without repercussion. you can say that theres a benefit in that kf have targeted genuinely bad people, but what kf identifies as a "bad person" can include people who haven't actually done anything seriously wrong, and vice versa. i personally wouldn't trust iban (or anyone i only know online, for that matter) to be impartial, ethical, or fair in drawing that line as the site administrator, given the lack of accountability except in extremely egregious situations.

It seems the actual crux of the argument is, "It is evil to publicly investigate, compile, and archive people's stuffty online behavior", which is what KF is truly guilty of; making the facts and history readily available to anyone and everyone [...]

When we tell the truth, is it our responsibility to conceal and suppress it so that it doesn't make it into the hands of people who would act maliciously? Personally, I loving hate equifax.
the more i think about this post the more i feel that yes, it is our responsibility to prevent the distribution of personal information. besides the fact it goes against the idea of "information privacy is a value people should respect" when talking about corporations which collect user data and sell it, it is the social equivalent of giving everyone a gun specifically made to let you shoot the victim. the vast majority of people will not shoot the gun. a few will take it too far. even fewer will actually mete out a fair amount of vigilante justice, if thats possible to even define. and most likely, none of those few will factor in that others may have already dealt fair punishment, and that they may be adding on undue excess punishment as a result.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:55:33 AM by Conan »

Can a couple dozen of you openly dox and Self Delete bait someone so we can get blf nuked too. Ime a poor child with leukemia and its my dying wish .

i personally wouldn't trust iban (or anyone i only know online, for that matter) to be impartial, ethical, or fair in drawing that line as the site administrator

Personally i would trust the child enthusiast CityRP creator to be the judge jury and executioner of all of mankind but that is just my  honest opinion.