Suggestion to bring back terrain and interiors with concept screens

Poll

Should Blockland have its former terrain and interiors back?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Suggestion to bring back terrain and interiors with concept screens  (Read 19670 times)

i think realistically the only way this will be implemented is if badspot make blockland open source.

i think realistically the only way this will be implemented is if badspot make blockland open source.
if badspot wont do it we will have to magically reverse engineer the loving game ourselves

did yall know that every other game engine in the world supports both "terrain" and "interiors"? and you can make whatever you want with them? these days most of them don't even cost anything

Someone make a unoffical update. Oh wait we dont have source code.

SOMEONE MAKE A TERRAIN MOD!!!

oh wait... they did.

cmon people actually host with the terrain mod

EDIT
if badspot wont do it we will have to magically reverse engineer the loving game ourselves
Good ducking luck, People smarter than you or I have tried. You CAN decompile it, but you wont get something usable. Badspot didnt just make a game, he edited parts of the engine. Without his copy of the engine its not gonna be possible.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 12:45:54 PM by soldier101@ »

B4v21  exists for a reason.. give it some love people :)
(as long as that's allowed) (?)
and the blockland archive discord of every found map and addon ever made even super hard to find ones that were lost to time by dead links but were found from peoples old saves.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 12:00:35 AM by Flying Ace »

did yall know that every other game engine in the world supports both "terrain" and "interiors"? and you can make whatever you want with them? these days most of them don't even cost anything

Already playing around with realistic interior buildings in Age of Time v3. Check it out here.

Already playing around with realistic interior buildings in Age of Time v3. Check it out here.
you have an interesting interpretation of the word "realistlc"

I really dunno. Has that single core thing ever been addressed? Why are textures limited to 256px2? There's a lot of quality and performance bottlenecks that are just hard-coded into the platform. Saying this as someone who has extremely fond memories of creations in Blockland, on map terrain, of map terrain, and without map terrain, in regards to its capabilities as a game: Why bother polishing a turd?

I really dunno. Has that single core thing ever been addressed? Why are textures limited to 256px2? There's a lot of quality and performance bottlenecks that are just hard-coded into the platform. Saying this as someone who has extremely fond memories of creations in Blockland, on map terrain, of map terrain, and without map terrain, in regards to its capabilities as a game: Why bother polishing a turd?
it's a special turd
because despite the limitations you can still make good looking stuff, it'll look dated of course, we are talking about torque after all, but you very much can still get good use out of terrains and interiors if you know what you're doing

it's a special turd
because despite the limitations you can still make good looking stuff, it'll look dated of course, we are talking about torque after all, but you very much can still get good use out of terrains and interiors if you know what you're doing
Oh I definitely know. Again… Blockland was an extremely formative game and I kinda wish there was an hours tracker built in so I could see for myself how much time I put into it. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it was in the mid 5 digits and best $20 ever spent. It's at this point though where novelty is just not going to be adequate. Certain parts of it put it ahead of the curve in the past, but now its competitors are racing ahead.

holy stuff this is sick

holy stuff this is sick
Not until you see this. Still need to figure out how collision will work, fixing the glitched UV faces, etc.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 05:47:33 PM by Antares »

been working on a little something myself in my free time over the past week and a half. adding static meshes to the world would be trivial, and converting heightmaps to meshes isn't particularly outrageous either. I'm doubtful it'll go anywhere but hey, no harm in sharing.

been working on a little something myself in my free time over the past week and a half. adding static meshes to the world would be trivial, and converting heightmaps to meshes isn't particularly outrageous either. I'm doubtful it'll go anywhere but hey, no harm in sharing.
I've responded to your private message about reading the heightmap data from the game files. I think what you really need to do is use some program (or just the mission editor?) to convert the .ter files into .ml files which most likely contain the 16 bit heightmap data in a basically copy-pasteable block of binary data.

I'm glad there's still some people who enjoy the game but I honestly did not expect to be reached out to almost every other year after leaving the community like 5+ years ago.

Honestly might just be easier to outright re-do the game from scratch. Preferably on an engine that's not Torque, and not janky as hell. Like other people have said Badspot sure as stuff won't do it, he's been AWOL for months and hasn't cared about this game in years.