Author Topic: blockland: the community that killed the game  (Read 82622 times)

This thread feels strangely cathartic. Me and another former player, TCF aka Critz, had talked about this months before I even found this post. It really is bizarre that these forums never got any extra mods or at least more admin work from badspot. So much outright flaming and other strange behavior just went unchecked. I dont think the 'small village' vibe this forum had to it helped either. Everyone who posted regularly had a reputation, and you were either chill or bound to be flamed and targeted if you were particularly vulnerable. It was pretty cliquey and cynical, though I guess thats all you can expect from a forum of unsupervised newly adolescents (or adults that act like them).

As hype as the Steam release was, it was doomed from the beginning to actually bring in a good amount of new, committed players and to revitalize Blockland. It surely brought a lot of money for badspot and a surge of popularity, but I can expressly remember how a majority of these new players were overwhelmed by the older established playerbase. With this in mind - along with other atrocious behavior that festered on the forums - I cant really appreciate the hands off approach badspot had for the community.

But I can appreciate this community for what it was in some parts. I didnt have the best reputation, often posting inocuous, spammy, or sometimes rude things like many others were. So I apologize for that. But for the friends and genuinely decent people that are/were on here, I'd like to thank you for humoring me while I was growing up. And to thank the creators delivering these insane collaborations to the community - such as the new years and halloween servers - which made great memories.

i was a really strange kid and didn't join this forum for the game. i somehow have less than 10h in it despite participating in one or two 'events'. (bl family fued)
got invited here in 2013 by my then-bf vv45689 after a forum just like this place but focused around Roblox called IronNoob shut down. that website was hosted by shedletsky and had very little to no moderation too.
idk what rallied me to stay up all night every night arguing with other kids on forums pointlessly, but i was pretty used to it before i even joined. glad i learned to cool down a little after probably over a dozen accounts though. eventually i spent less time posting and more time making friends, and drawing. i got to join 'the clique' discord and 'the art discord' and 'the gloryhole' discord, where i met some awesome people. none of whom i still talk to, though.
its funny to me how im nervous to post anything here, when i used to do shift+alt+s so quickly.

edit:
trying to find my old accounts, but seems like there's some which are gone?
toothed deer
toothed_deer
Alex GShep
RSoMKC
folie a deux
Donnies Catch
ForgetLavender
hootaloo
sleep
edit edit: not gone, just not in the memberslist. this is going to make hunting much harder.
edit edit edit: THX BADSPOT

this is the last account i have with access, and its on a key i bought for a friend of mine for the sole reason to post here, he had also been an IronNoob user. unfortunately he passed away last year.
quadruple edit: if u feel like reaching out my discord is @honkpocket
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 10:02:26 AM by Unimproved »

I'd like to thank you for humoring me while I was growing up. And to thank the creators delivering these insane collaborations to the community - such as the new years and halloween servers - which made great memories.

We arent dead yet lol

yarrr there be plunder i see

quadruple edit: if u feel like reaching out my discord is @honkpocket
in retrospect seems like a lot of you were already friends with me on discord lol
so in this case feel free to say hi, or dont be surprised if i say hi first

DUDE the itransmission thinks yo cringe ass is UNFUNNY. Oh? Nopony cares?

what happened to you dry

DUDE the itransmission thinks yo cringe ass is UNFUNNY. Oh? Nopony cares?
heres a song