blockland: the community that killed the game

Author Topic: blockland: the community that killed the game  (Read 82624 times)

Man this forum forgeted me up growing up lol

Man this forum forgeted me up growing up lol
I think I vaguely remember you and I thought you were cool.

please don't have been weird :|

I feel like I wasn't as affected by this place as most have been, I kept a healthy distance by mostly lurking, and only chiming in when I was extremely bored, or when I thought I had something worthwhile to say. At least that's what I've mostly done, I can't speak for younger me, he had a mind of his own. Learned a lot of lessons about not engaging with hostility here though, so I have y'all to thank for that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 01:39:46 PM by bloody jumper »

i feel like this place could have been so much better if even something as small as the "no flaming" rule had been enforced all the time. People got away with blatantly and unnecessarily insulting each other all the time. If memory serves I think people only got banned when they really crossed the line, but huge jerks almost never were and toxicity became the "cool" norm.

I'm sure badspot banned tons and tons of people who deserved it over the years, and I kind of feel sorry for him having to navigate the issue of having a growing community of children/teens/adults all mixed together during a time when indie games were unheard of. I don't think he or anyone else saw the issues that plagued this place coming. However, eventually they became plain to see, and unfortunately nothing was changed to make improvements
this is gonna sound weird but you have no idea how nostalgic your avatar is to see lol. I remember seeing it back in like 2011 when I was a kid and too shy to make an account here, so I just lurked quietly
badspot contributed to the negativity and actively bullied people himself. actually didn't he like just get in an argument with someone last week lol

badspot contributed to the negativity and actively bullied people himself. actually didn't he like just get in an argument with someone last week lol
he absolutely did, sometimes he was provoked, sometimes he did the provoking, but he got in way more arguments than he should have as the game's creator

badspot contributed to the negativity and actively bullied people himself
True lol, idk why I forgot about that.

actually didn't he like just get in an argument with someone last week lol
Yeah over the article he wrote on his website. I didn’t bring it up on my post cuz I was more focusing on the past and why he might have taken a backseat in moderating the forum in the first place

definitely very cathartic and strange to read through this thread! it is frankly a miracle that i was not groomed because of this site (i avoided several attempts through sheer luck) but even ignoring that, this forum absolutely forgeted up my development as a kid even as someone who wasn't extremely active! of course still lots of things to think back fondly on that shaped my life in positive ways and i'm glad to see people i recognize have the same realizations and positive development that i did after disengaging from the community. in the unlikely event you recognize me i have very much changed as a person and i formally apologize if you ever saw or had to deal with me being an starfish & general dipstuff! and i hope you are doing alright for yourself :)

in lieu of coming up with my own eloquent conclusion on things i'll just quote how fancypants put it which i think is very accurate

i think some of that description i'm looking for i've found in the emotional roulette i go through every time i meet someone random on the internet who later reveals themselves to be a "former blocklander." most of the time you get someone who just played the game. but sometimes you get split between two completely opposite groups of people that were raised on the forums:

• those that soaked in the toxicity and still bear some kind of allegiance to eric hartman. the people that stayed because they became more like the loudest people already here
  • those that will spend the rest of their lives growing in spite of the parts of the forums they hated the most. the people that stayed because they had nowhere else to go

i definitely won't imply that it's a good thing that the forums were like this; it would've been better if it had just been a normal game that suffered a totally ordinary death. but there are definitely some good people that were born out of the blockland forums. i'm not sure where i would be today without it

it would've been better if it had just been a normal game that suffered a totally ordinary death. but there are definitely some good people that were born out of the blockland forums. i'm not sure where i would be today without it
It would not have been better if it died like a normal game! It is not dead! >;( Dont say that!

what happened to you dry
thats not drydess in case u didnt figure it out

I think I vaguely remember you and I thought you were cool.

please don't have been weird :|
I sure hope I wasn't lol.

Ultimately I really wasn't affected as much as others here because I spent about 75% of my time in the Games board

Lots of stuff to read through. Never realized what dark stuff was going on behind the scenes, and it’s crazy to see the names of people I remember when I frequented this place much more. I can see the end is approaching, if it hasn’t already come already. Surprised the forums are still up.

Been here since ‘08 when I was stuck playing the demo on GSF’s maps. Finally scraped twenty bucks together in middle school and bought the game and what a blast it was to finally play and be a part of the community. Then stupid me and my friends wanted to troll the forums and I posted gay research on a goddamn faux-Lego forum with kids, got banned, and had to get a new key. What a dumb kid I was.

I’m almost 27 now and I still come check in from time to time. I’m not exactly sure why. Maybe because it’s the first community I was really part of. I glanced at some people’s stories here and I can heavily relate to their childhoods, and experience being here. Maybe I hope to recognize some old friends, or see something new with the game and people I sort of grew up with. It’s a strange thing. Being part of something like this before the big social media boom.

Now we’re all grown up, and sooner or later we’re gonna stop coming here. Or maybe there won’t even be a “here” to come to anymore.

I haven’t really delved into the sick drama, other than a couple posts which mention some names. First thing that popped into my head was that supposedly Bisjac would babysit Badspot’s kids, that they knew each other in real life. Hopefully it was nothing more than that.

It’s always a lot of catching up to do every time I pop back in here. I hope all of you grew up into great people, and are happy in life. I hope those of us that weren’t fortunate enough to make it this far rest in peace. Maybe I’ll see some of you in Brickadia if I ever get around to trying it out. Maybe we’ll never see each other ever again. Regardless I’ll always look back fondly on the good times I had with you guys.

Lots of stuff to read through. Never realized what dark stuff was going on behind the scenes, and it’s crazy to see the names of people I remember when I frequented this place much more. I can see the end is approaching, if it hasn’t already come already. Surprised the forums are still up.

Been here since ‘08 when I was stuck playing the demo on GSF’s maps. Finally scraped twenty bucks together in middle school and bought the game and what a blast it was to finally play and be a part of the community. Then stupid me and my friends wanted to troll the forums and I posted gay research on a goddamn faux-Lego forum with kids, got banned, and had to get a new key. What a dumb kid I was.

I’m almost 27 now and I still come check in from time to time. I’m not exactly sure why. Maybe because it’s the first community I was really part of. I glanced at some people’s stories here and I can heavily relate to their childhoods, and experience being here. Maybe I hope to recognize some old friends, or see something new with the game and people I sort of grew up with. It’s a strange thing. Being part of something like this before the big social media boom.

Now we’re all grown up, and sooner or later we’re gonna stop coming here. Or maybe there won’t even be a “here” to come to anymore.

I haven’t really delved into the sick drama, other than a couple posts which mention some names. First thing that popped into my head was that supposedly Bisjac would babysit Badspot’s kids, that they knew each other in real life. Hopefully it was nothing more than that.

It’s always a lot of catching up to do every time I pop back in here. I hope all of you grew up into great people, and are happy in life. I hope those of us that weren’t fortunate enough to make it this far rest in peace. Maybe I’ll see some of you in Brickadia if I ever get around to trying it out. Maybe we’ll never see each other ever again. Regardless I’ll always look back fondly on the good times I had with you guys.
miss u bb

Miss you too buddy. And Electrk, and all the other BluZone fellas.

thats not drydess in case u didnt figure it out
Uh oh! My brother in Christ we have a conspiracy theorist! Contact the Faucikorps! Nerd emoji! swarth