what do greek2me/ravencroft's avatars look like?

Author Topic: what do greek2me/ravencroft's avatars look like?  (Read 4644 times)

I'm working on a special project that's Blockland related. No details until I have something significant to share.

What fonts does Blockland use for: The Title, Chat Messages, Player Names, and Events?

What movement tricks exist in Blockland?

One last thing: What did Greek2Me and Ravencroft's in-game avatars look like? Probably asking people to dig real deep with this one.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 07:08:28 PM by Rigel »

palatino linotype, impact, and arial for 99% of guis if not 100%

Thanks Conan, but I just realized I need more info about something else. What movement tricks exist in blockland due to the glitches and quirks of Torque 3D? I have a list I was able to come up with, but I'm sure I'm missing something, or I'm missing details or just wrong about one of these.

Continuous Jumping
Not very unique, but holding space makes you jump as soon as you touch the ground, which leads to various other techniques.

Slope Boost
Crouch-jumping from a slope adds a lot of velocity. Continuous Jumping preserves a lot (but not all) of the momentum.

Corner Climbing
Players can jump into the inside of a 90 degree corner, and then Continuously Jump off the bricks in the corner if their feet touch the top edge of a brick.

Rocket Jumping
The splash damage of a rocket is pretty low, but the impulse velocity is high. Players can sacrifice a little health to rocket jump very high.

Impact Damage
There’s fall damage, but hitting anything at high speeds can kill the player.

Grapple Rope
This tool lets the player swing from whatever they shoot. However, players cannot climb the rope straight up.

Jet Boots
These jets are attached to the soles of the player’s feet, and propel the player accordingly. If they’re standing still, that’s up. If they’re laying down, then that’s forward.

Vehicular Wall Clipping
Certain vehicles (like the magic carpet) can clip through single-block walls at a high enough speed or weird enough impact angle.

Double Jumping
Jumping up to a ledge at a specific angle allows you to get another jump off of it without losing momentum and launch much higher into the air.

Inverted Corner Climbing
In some configurations you can climb a convex (270 degree) corner. This is a lot slower and more precise than on a concave corner.

Coyote Jumping
After walking off of a ledge, there is a brief window where you can jump in mid-air.

moveforward(0.1);
Putting this command into console and crouching toward a wall sometimes allows you to slide straight through it.

There's one where a slope with an ledge covering the top with a gap between can be hit at a certain angle to slide along it. I forget the specifics of how to recreate it.

Not really a movement thing but sliding in between ramps I always thought was cool. Whoever made the giant tower of slides deserves props, really glad it made it into the game the comfy vibes are off the charts thinking about it.

Wish we had surf like the source engine has.

There's one where a slope with an ledge covering the top with a gap between can be hit at a certain angle to slide along it. I forget the specifics of how to recreate it.
This sounds pretty neat, I'd love to see a video of it in action!

hmm lets see. here are some I can think of off the top of my head

Jump-Jetting
Basic and pretty widely known, jumping and jetting at the same time provides a boost to the initial jetting velocity

Additive Jump-Velocity
Similarly to jump jetting, any events/script that addVelocity to the player (i.e onPlayerTouch player addVelocity 0 0 10) will have increased effect if you press jump upon touching said brick/object

Getting Unstuck From a Door
Don't you hate when this happens? Sit, hold shift (crouch) and click to open a door you are stuck in. You may have to spin around to get it to work properly depending on which side of the door your facing

Water Jumping
If you time it correctly, you can actually jump off the surface of water by walking into it and hitting space at the moment your feet hit the top of the water

Crouch Humping
Make sure you have sit function bound to a shortcut key. Hold shift and jump, then while in the air use sit and press S/move backwards at the same time, you will be stuck in the crouchBack sequence.

Off the top of my head I know that by jumping off the slope of tree bricks, you can rapidly accelerate to a point as long as you keep jumping and holding down W. Your jump height will be low but you'll move pretty quickly for a short while.
When friction begins takes over you will begin to decelerate and your jump height will return to normal. As far as I can this mostly works on flat surfaces, as hitting a wall or falling a few bricks will return your speed and jump height to normal. My guess is this is a quirk with max player velocity where you are trading horizontal speed for vertical speed.

It's pretty fun, sometimes I'll load up Beta City and mindlessly do this.

This sounds pretty neat, I'd love to see a video of it in action!
https://leopard.hosting.pecon.us/dl/cvtfp/Blockland_uOZekmNI8g.mp4

moving sideways doesn't work in all directions with 2x2s (works better if you have correctly collided longer inverted ramps)

also don't forget about air strafing, which lets you jump around barriers that otherwise prevent you from going straight forward

https://leopard.hosting.pecon.us/dl/cvugs/Blockland_R4TQftzzVd.mp4

as for other tricks that aren't *necessarily* movement, you can use crouch-sit to hit something behind you or hit something over a chest-high wall while not letting others hit you

https://leopard.hosting.pecon.us/dl/edhsw/Blockland_jOvcHEPFJU.mp4

and lastly: *wheeled* vehicles that have good wheel spring values can drive into stacks of decollided but raycasting-on plates to get vertically boosted

https://leopard.hosting.pecon.us/dl/ymskt/Blockland_ePXc4HVgaG.mp4

also you get more air time/can "swim faster" if you don't just bob along the top of water but instead do a little dive/leap/dive/leap (as you move faster in air and get more proportional airtime-to-underwater-time total this way)

https://leopard.hosting.pecon.us/dl/cvtfp/Blockland_uOZekmNI8g.mp4

moving sideways doesn't work in all directions with 2x2s (works better if you have correctly collided longer inverted ramps)
Oh wow, this is not at all what I had envisioned. This is even stranger!

as for other tricks that aren't *necessarily* movement, you can use crouch-sit to hit something behind you or hit something over a chest-high wall while not letting others hit you

https://leopard.hosting.pecon.us/dl/edhsw/Blockland_jOvcHEPFJU.mp4
I remember this causing some fuss in the trench warfare servers because it made for really small targets that were hard to return fire on.

and lastly: *wheeled* vehicles that have good wheel spring values can drive into stacks of decollided but raycasting-on plates to get vertically boosted

https://leopard.hosting.pecon.us/dl/ymskt/Blockland_ePXc4HVgaG.mp4
Never seen this one before either! Seems like it could've been used for a really risky shortcut in Kong's deathraces when that was still a thing. Also is that a new version of the duplorcator? I remember it looking like a turquoise wand before.

also you get more air time/can "swim faster" if you don't just bob along the top of water but instead do a little dive/leap/dive/leap (as you move faster in air and get more proportional airtime-to-underwater-time total this way)
This is a throwback. I remember dolphin-diving a lot in those pre-shadow ocean freebuild servers. I don't think I ever had much opportunity to do that again post-shadows.

All in all, really cool stuff, thanks for the videos Conan!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 09:04:23 AM by Rigel »