Author Topic: Kitchen map  (Read 961 times)

Some of you may recall the kitchen I posted a picture of in off-topic a while ago.

I've been attempting to turn it into a map file so I can load it and quark and make a map out of it.

So I started with a .plan file (Chief Architect's save format). I exported it as a .dwg (autocad drawing) file. I converted to a .dxf (autocad drawing exchange format) file. I opened this in blender and it looked exactly like my kitchen. So I exported it as a .map file, and ended up with this wonderful jumble of intersecting blocks.

I put down the project for a bit, and did a bit of research. I found a few other ways to get it to a .map file, such as going from .dxf to .vmf then to .map, but I don't think any number of conversions is going to make it look better, I'll probably end up with just some other jumble of blocks.

I've got some idea of what the problem is. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the model and not the exporter. I've imported sketchup files into quark before. I'm thinking that for one reason or another, while the model renders how I think it should look, it isn't actually solid, just a bunch of faces or something like that. The pieces aren't stuck together. I've never used blender before so I don't really have a clue what I'm doing or what I'm talking about. In fact, I haven't used anything that wasn't a brush based editor before.

If anyone has some insight into the issue or would like to take a look at the file for themselves, I can send you a copy of the dwg or dxf files.

I haven't seriously considered making a map out of this (if I can't get it to work, then I won't worry about it), but if either I or someone else can get it working, I'll definitely texture and release it. Due to the nature of chief architect I won't even need to make secret areas, the cabinets and stove will already be hollowed out. All I'll need to do is take off the cabinet door knobs that use 300 polys and put a cylinder or something there instead.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 03:27:51 PM by Wedge »