Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 53610 times)

this game takes alot of time to learn the basics and even understanding it dosn't it.

Not really, just a decent amount of intelligence and the desire to learn.

But once you learn it is a lot of fun.

I dont like games where they force you to read guides and have no tutorial.
I have few exceptions, but I'm not trying this until it gets a tutorial.

There are tutorials online.

One dwarf died then the rest kept jumping off cliffs until they died D:

Wtf is up with this game

Hahaha they must have loved him/her.

I am currently contemplating venturing near enough to some frogmen with a miner to cave in a huge obsidian block on top of them.  The entire lake is under an overhanging slab...

How to you train militia? My dude also just died because lack of water. I tried to get water by mining into the wall until I reach a water spot, however my base flooded. How am I suppose to gather water?

By doing it without flooding your base.

Really.

I have tried to get a small lake inside my fort, but it always floods the level. How2Do?

Are you draining a lake or redirecting a river?

If it's a lake, try to make your new area smaller really close and about the same size.

If it's a river, don't make the lake's location lower than where the river is, the river will fill it up to it's own height.  If you must, use a floodgate connected to a lever to close off the flow once the lake is full/mostly full.

Any strategies on getting metals?

Hit D for Designations
Hit M or w.e for Mine
Set the corners to a mountain.
Make sure you have a stockpile ready.

If there are gems in it you'll see * looking things.
If you want stone then you probably will have trouble finding it in clay.

On a different note:
I have gotten used to the graphics with the help of a graphic pack, however I just cannot seem to make a room or hunt for the life of me. (I've gotten hunting working once but people died and everytime I try to make someone hunt with a weapon / sheild they just stand there being a soldier, help?)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:58:06 PM by dUMBELLS »

Hunters usually use crossbows and bolts, right?

I tried that once and he didn't go out hunting but instead became a soldier, so I guess when you send people hunting send quite a few, they'll all go for the same animal and not many casuallties will happen. I wish I knew how to make them armed hunters though.