Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 53605 times)

They will go and find weapons.

Or wrestle...

Also hunting is for barbarians, learn to farm.

Just started playing DF yesterday, and just saw the post on here today. Had a really good fortress going until I ran out of metals that I purchased at the beginning. I dug low in the earth and remembered the place had an aquifer, everywhere I dig on the third floor down has water. I'll probably make a new fortress, great game.

Also, if anyone wants to see their fortress in a 3-D render (you can't actually play it in 3-D) download this: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?f=2&t=001450&ubb=get_topic

They will go and find weapons.

Or wrestle...

Also hunting is for barbarians, learn to farm.
I've got to disagree with you there :D
The in game guide says that farming may be hard with larger fortresses, most often you won't run out of animals to kill. If you do, just use cows instead.
I figured out how to give the hunter a crossbow, before embarking you must set your hunter to be an ambusher, I also recommend starting with some dogs to train into hunting dogs.

Anti cop, I want an INTERACTIVE TUTORIAL
Not a user manual.

On a different note:
I have gotten used to the graphics with the help of a graphic pack, however I just cannot seem to make a room or hunt for the life of me. (I've gotten hunting working once but people died and everytime I try to make someone hunt with a weapon / sheild they just stand there being a soldier, help?)

Making rooms are easy

Lets make: A Bedroom

dig out a rectangle with a one space opening to lead to a hallway

Ex:

========================
=      ====================
=      ====================
==  =====================

Create a bed using the carpenters stall
Place the bed in the room
Press Q and select the bed
Press R to make room

You can then assign the room to a specific dwarf, or you can make it a barracks (Where dwarfs without rooms will go)

Create a bed using the carpenters stall
Place the bed in the room
Press Q and select the bed
Press R to make room
When I try to place the bed in the room it keeps saying that it must be inside.

====
=++==D
====
and
=====
=+++==D
=+++==D
=====
Have not worked for me.
KEY:
= Wall
+ Floor
D Door

Take a screeny for me

Are you building out in the open?

It needs to be under a roof...

Are you building out in the open?

It needs to be under a roof...
How do I know where a roof is?
And also, my Hunter seems to have gone insane, not wanting to do anything.
It says, "Doesn't care about anything anymore."

It will say something about the tile being "interior" or "subterranean" or something like that when you are over it in k-mode.

Did his/her lover/child/long-term friend/dog/cat/kitten die?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 05:58:23 PM by Anti-Cop »

It will say something about the tile being "interior" or "subterranean" or something like that when you are over it in k-mode.

Did his/her lover/child/long-term friend/dog/cat/kitten/doesnt have enough beer/doesnt like his room die?

omg, i give up, need more interactive tuturial

I seriously do not understand how an interactive tutorial is better.  Unless you have no capacity for learning something that's not hand-fed to you.

I found it easy once you learned how to dig

I always make a downward-staircase and make that my fortress
Also, these dwarves are emotional