Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 53611 times)

I have also found that an underground fortress is good.
And the "Doesn't care about anything anymore." thing doesn't affect him, no one died and he still hunts. I think it's that he is an over-hardened individual from killing so many animals. Hopefully he won't go psycho.

I have also found that an underground fortress is good.
And the "Doesn't care about anything anymore." thing doesn't affect him, no one died and he still hunts. I think it's that he is an over-hardened individual from killing so many animals. Hopefully he won't go psycho.
Mine always do. Once they have their first baby it all goes downhill ):

I never get that far, not enough time, though my new fort with 30+ dwarves after ONE immigration wave may prove fun.

Also, who the heck STARTS with making forts out in the open?  That takes a huge amount of resources...

I never get that far, not enough time, though my new fort with 30+ dwarves after ONE immigration wave may prove fun.

Also, who the heck STARTS with making forts out in the open?  That takes a huge amount of resources...
Not for me, we go fine until they stop doing what theyre suppose to
I also still haven't gotten trading down, when they come Ive got no idea what Im doing

Wow, this game is complex. It took me a day to learn how to mine  :cookieMonster:

Not for me, we go fine until they stop doing what theyre suppose to
I also still haven't gotten trading down, when they come Ive got no idea what Im doing
You sort out priorities, what you most need using the + and - keys, and they either drop it off then or later. (?)

Man, getting back into the game and I already forgot something simple.

How do I cancel Building sites/stuff I haven't built yet? I accidently draged my cursor and now I'm stuck with 10 adjacent future staircases. I looked around the wiki, opened several articles and found nothing.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Designations -> Remove Designations :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:45:33 PM by Muffinmix »

What, you use the MOUSE?

What, you use the MOUSE?
I didn't know you could use the mouse. I do everything by hotkey.

I accidently draged my cursor

I misinterpreted this as a reference to the mouse cursor then.

The mouse can be used for making some designations, useful for wierd patterns.

With a little modification of the dwarf's creature file, they now no longer bleed, sleep, feel pain, breathe, or drown. They now can swim in water (though they will cancel any jobs and repeatedly fall into the same body of water, which can get VERY irritating) and they can swim in, and not burn up in magma, get happy thoughts from killing, and have new personality traits.
However, they can also breathe fire on foes (which has blasted the legs of many goblins) and have a venomous falcon punch and bite, permanently paralysing their foe after a short period of time.

If you want to change your dwarves into a super-race of domination, the code is below. Just don't get seiged by other dwarves, or you'll be in deep trouble. Otherwise, you can best most armed foes, but don't send unarmed dwarves into a small crowd of goblin spearmen, they'll probably only polish off one goblin before being slain themselves.
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:DWARF]
put this in creature_standard.txt in raw/objects

[NAME:dwarf:dwarves:dwarven]
[TILE:1][COLOR:3:0:0]
[GENPOWER:3]
[BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD]
[INTELLIGENT]
[RECKLESS]
[TRANCES]
[BENIGN]
    [EXTRACT:giant cave spider venom:7:0:0]
    [EXTRACT_VALUE:100]
    [EXTRACT_PARALYZE][EXTRACT_PERMANENT][NATURAL][PET_EXOTIC]
    [EXTRACT_ANTIDOTE:giant cave spider antivenin:7:0:0:10]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[LIKES_FIGHTING][FIREIMMUNE_SUPER][MAGMA_VISION][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED]
[WEBIMMUNE][AMBUSHPREDATOR][PARALYZEIMMUNE][FIREBREATH]
  [EXTRAVISION][NOSTUN][NOEXERT][NOFEAR][AMPHIBIOUS][NO_SLEEP]
[PREFSTRING:beards]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
[STOUT][PARALYZEIMMUNE]
[NOBLEED][NOFEAR][NONAUSEA][NOEXERT][NOPAIN]
[MAXAGE:150:170]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:5:10:BURN][ATTACKFLAG_WITH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:munch:munches:5:25:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:100:250]
[CHILD:2][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[DAMBLOCK:1]
[FAT:3]
[SIZE:6]
[EQUIPS]
[CAVE_ADAPT]
[HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[IGNITE_POINT:13500]
[LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:13500]
[BONE_HEATDAM_POINT:14000]
[DIURNAL]
[CRAFTSMAN_NAME:craftsdwarf:craftsdwarves]
[FISHERMAN_NAME:fisherdwarf:fisherdwarves]
[HAMMERMAN_NAME:hammerdwarf:hammerdwarves]
[SPEARMAN_NAME:speardwarf:speardwarves]
[CROSSBOWMAN_NAME:marksdwarf:marksdwarves]
[AXEMAN_NAME:axedwarf:axedwarves]
[SWORDSMAN_NAME:swordsdwarf:swordsdwarves]
[MACEMAN_NAME:macedwarf:macedwarves]
[PIKEMAN_NAME:pikedwarf:pikedwarves]
[BOWMAN_NAME:bowdwarf:bowdwarves]
[SPEECH:dwarf.txt]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10125]
[LAYERING:50]
[ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:0:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:CHEERFULNESS:0:40:90]
[PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:25:50]
[PERSONALITY:MODESTY:0:40:90]
[PERSONALITY:SYMPATHY:0:25:50]
Do keep a backup of your original creature_standard.txt in the raw/objects folder, otherwise bad things will happen.
All of the object definitions in the raw/objects folder are open to modification, so you can shape the game to your liking.
Also, screenshots o' plenty.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:57:05 AM by Monty »

Bump because this game is an awesome classic, I'm glad they fixed the Steam Of Death problem in the earlier version.

Also, here's totally awesome illustrative turorial that helps newbies tremendously to understand exactly what the forget needs to be done and how.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Indecisive%27s_illustrated_fortress_mode_tutorial

My current fortress has a good 60ish dwarves, one of which will eventually go insane due to lack of shells and turtles to help him complete his artifact. I built a ballista in front of his workshop and stationed a legendary siege operator on it, along with a few dozen wardogs in case the moody dwarf goes on a rampage. I can't wait to see what will happen.

Why not use a fisherdwarf to get him a shell?

I want to make a steam trap actually, but I need to sort out how to make it work.  Does water turn to steam when it flows over a floor underneath which is magma?

Why not use a fisherdwarf to get him a shell?

I want to make a steam trap actually, but I need to sort out how to make it work.  Does water turn to steam when it flows over a floor underneath which is magma?
Nah, it needs to come in contact with the magma directly. I'm not exactly sure what your setup is but I'd channel magma under the room, put some floor grates in the trap room, and put a floodgate somewhere in the room with a channel of water behind it.

Speaking of traps, Weapon Traps are ridiculously dangerous. I have obsidian on my map o-plenty and I use it to make obsidian short swords. They're as strong as Steal short swords and rigging up a trap with 10 of these things makes for spectacular decapitation whenever something walks into it.

Also the artifact issue was resolved without anyone dying, the moody dwarf somehow got a shell from god knows where and completed the artifact.

I have a legendary stonecrafter, so I sold my masterpiece obsidian sword.

I was told they were terrible weapons.

Also I want to be able to consistently make steam without the magma turning to obsidian and clogging everything up.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:30:08 PM by Anti-Cop »