Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 53570 times)

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-498-marksdwarfswarm
Olol cool!
He lost a champion in that :/

Still pretty intense

Edit: My strange mood dwarf dropped the copper bars he was carrying after I forbade them, sweet!

Now if only I could nudge him towards the aluminum
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:00:18 PM by Muffinmix »

Goddamnit I REQUIRE ECONOMIC STONES
I just want DF to get mic support and say "YOU LAZEEE BASTUDS!"
I cant get those lazy forgets to do much, they mull around and occasionally dig stuff.. D:

Olol cool!

Still pretty intense

Edit: My strange mood dwarf dropped the copper bars he was carrying after I forbade them, sweet!

And then you get an aluminum spear.

I cant get those lazy forgets to do much, they mull around and occasionally dig stuff.. D:
Dig into rock, and make sure it's ROCK, not soil.

Also only the miners with picks dig.

Olol cool!

Still pretty intense

And then you get an aluminum spear.
Haha I wish.
I got a loving Quern :/

Dig into rock, and make sure it's ROCK, not soil.

Also only the miners with picks dig.
Dig downwards and you'll hit some bedrock, that should give you some nice stone for the moody dwarf.

Also disable all Hauling tasks on the Miners. They are far, far more valuable when they do their job. Even if you have no important rooms to mine out, prospecting for minerals is extremely beneficial to the fort. Besides that, the amount of strange moods is proportional to amount of squares mined, so that alone should be reason enough to have miners mine day and night.

Good Exploratory Mining patterns: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Exploratory_mining
(Mining shafts work ridiculously well with little effort and reveal everything. I would suggest using these especially if you're looking for a certain rare metal *hint hint*)

The maximum number of artifacts in any one fortress is limited by the lower of:

* The number of items created divided by 200
    * The number of revealed subterranean tiles divided by 2308 (this is an area equivalent to a 48x48 square).

I just make random tunnels and change levels every now and then and repeat.   :cookieMonster:

I just make random tunnels and change levels every now and then and repeat.   :cookieMonster:
Same here actually, too lazy :P

You can use macro software to make mine shafts, It takes about 10-20 second to make a set of 4 ten level shafts and it moves the cursor into place for the next lot, it takes a while but it sure is easier than doing it yourself.

You could also put a shaft destination over the whole area that you want relieved, then use the remove destination tool to remove the area that you don't want staired, so you don't have to make every individual mine shaft square, just 3+how many rows+how many columns=number of strokes.

Woops (ended up not harming any of them, and I did mean to collapse it, I'll post a link to that site of my current fortress a little latter with the big hall that spans two stories.)

You're lucky that the collapsing bit didn't punch through three floors and drops half of your gem and bar stockpile into a volcano, with about 5 of your dwarves with your trade depot and the elves that you tried to kill.

Speaking of elves, one of the elf caravans that arrived some few years ago was attacked by goblin bowmen while they were chilling out at the depot. All but one died, and a small while afterwards that single elf said he'd be on his way. It's been 3 years now and that elf is still at the trade depot, all he did was walk from spot to spot waiting for loving something. I also didn't get any more elven caravans after that (although I did get a diplomat who was profondly pissed for some reason). I'm thinking of murdering the god damn hippy to atleast recover the forgetton of stuff that he has yet to move out.

You're lucky that the collapsing bit didn't punch through three floors and drops half of your gem and bar stockpile into a volcano, with about 5 of your dwarves with your trade depot and the elves that you tried to kill.
I meant for it to collapse (made a mistake when trying to make a two story hall leaving an area hanging from the ceiling), and it fell one story onto the bottom level of my fort, so no worries there.

Also, on the topic of trading elves: The typical elven caravan (from wiki)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:17:58 PM by laremere »

I will not really trade with elves unless needed, they offer to crap, and I am limited to what I can offer.

Also, I'm going to start a new fortress, make sure everything I make is a good location, I'm going to start mining near the begining(I mean mining for minerals, as soon as I get the basics of the fortress done), I'm going to kill my first caravan, mostly so I own a anvil, and I am for a making a few traps near the begining, but I will need to ask the following for some help.

How do I connect Pressure pad/ levers to traps/doors.

If I am going to channel, how do I create a drawbridge first?

When do I the first attacks(I mean a small assualt, nothing big) come, so I can prepare a small army by then?

How do I elect a shreiff when I am able too?

Edit: What the forget? My wardog died from bleeding to death when Nothing attacked him...
Edit: Never mind, Raccoon, seriously, that was suprising...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:02:50 PM by XD! »

Sieges?  I have better things to worry about.

LIKE FINISHING MY INACESSIBLE CLIFFSIDE TOMB IN THE NEXT 9 MONTHS.