Author Topic: Blockland Wikipedia article nominated for deletion  (Read 6576 times)

He can't. That would break the rules.
2. Do not post adult content. - That means no nudity or gross stuff.
Your "Intelligence" is quite annoying, you seem to think you know more then you really do. Blockland has been post here heaps of times, how ever replica's of real parts is some what illegal here.

i read something about humping zombies :D

*bisjac lowers the bar a little more

"    * RTB: Return to Blockland The homepage for the RTB mod for Blockland
    * The Orange Block on Mix-Networks the latest fanmade version of the Builders Mod, includes the original blockand beta and a particle creator."

Linking to mods for the beta of the game is ridiculous. If either of these mods have a notable re-release on the current version, then you should add them back in, until then I don't think either should be listed.

There isn't really enough information in the development section to warrant it's inclusion in the article. I think it should be merged with the main Game modification into a single header "modification" and statements that no longer make sense should be omitted.

Here is a recent 3rd party source:
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=654&page=2

And here are two magazine scans from 2005:
http://badspot.us/dumb/misc/edge.JPG
http://badspot.us/dumb/misc/cgw.JPG

I've added these and made the changes Wedge suggested, but if anyone can think of a better place for those references to go, feel free to go and change it.

Pic, therefore it DID happen. Badspot Even thought it was the greatest build ever when I showed it to him. Only he can verify that.

Thats an awesome alien, the detail is good. The eyes were kind of done lazily when you compare them to the rest of the build though. Making the eyeball the same color as the flesh was confusing.

Gegc made it, he was to lazy to add limbs and a head. Btw the inside is finished but I'm too lazy to post pics right now.

Changed wrench event list from:
allows them to create anything from a simple light switch to a complicated missile launcher

to

allows them to create anything from a simple light switch to a missile launcher to even a game of pong.

And added the Youtube Videos as references.

Someone made a lot of good changes. The problem is that they used Internet style citations when they should have used citations for magazines.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources/example_style#Newspaper.2Fmagazine_articles_.28or_online_periodicals.29

I'm not entirely sure what the names of the articles or page numbers are, if anyone can find them I'd appreciate it.

I copied the ciation code from the other one.  I'm guessing it was Ephi's.

Pic, therefore it DID happen. Badspot Even thought it was the greatest build ever when I showed it to him. Only he can verify that.
I remember that :D

I will keep watching it. Still have a backup of it.

No, the article isn't up for nomination for deletion anymore. But I would like to take the time to whine about the article some more make a coordinated community effort to update and improve the article. Given the current selection of topics in General Discussion, I don't really think people will mind if this is bumped.

(rant below, skip if you don't care. Just complaining about grammar and some other silly things they should have taught you in school but you were probably too busy sticking gum in the hair of the girl sitting in front of you to pay attention. The people who should be reading this won't read it, and people who don't need to read it will read it anyway.)

First of all, don't Randomly capitalize words in a Sentence. In the phrase "Blockland supports a Deathmatch game mode," Deathmatch shouldn't be capitalized.

Don't make up genres to put Blockland into. It's a sandbox game. Not a freeform game, not a building game, and for goodness sakes it's not a MMOCBG (Massively Multiplayer Online Cooperative Building Game). Yes, it is all of those, but none of those have articles. Go create a MMOCBG article, wait until it gets accepted by the wikipedia community, and then go ahead and put Blockland into it.

I'd like to do some changes to it, but I'd like to run the ideas by the community and get some ideas on how to phrase it and what it should include. Finally, I'd like the community to be aware of these changes so they don't go and bastardize everyone's hard work.

Things I don't like:
(1) There are two different release dates, one for the free version and one for the beta.
(2) Ben Garney or whatever his name isn't mentioned in the developers section anymore. Did he ask to have his name removed or did we just decide it wasn't important enough to include him anymore? Do people believe that his contribution to the game deserves mention in the article or the developers list?
(3) Under the platforms list it says Retail: Windows, etc... My concern here is 'Retail'. A beta is just the testing version, it isn't important that we mention an obselete version that isn't even meant to be played anymore doesn't work. It's kind of like saying "Oh, hey, the leaked HL2 beta won't run on your Mac LOL."
(4) The development section is written (and rewritten) badly. People keep on insisting it be in there, so if it's going to stay there, there needs to be some kind of consensus as to what it's going to include.
(5) Addons section is too small and includes information that isn't about addons.
(6) v9 is a colloquialism from inside the Blockland community and shouldn't be used in the article. Ommit v9 and just say "the next update"
(7) Interactive Brick System? Either call it by the right name Dynamic Brick Trigger and Event Indexed Designation and Reaction Registration Execution Table (DBTEIDRRET) or just stick with "a [[Event-driven_Programming|trigger and event]] based system that uses [[pseudo code]] to create very basic interactive objects."

My ideas:
(1) Chop out the vanilla release date. I don't even know where that release date came from or if it's true.
(2) Take out any references to problems the beta may have had. No one cares if the beta works on their computer or not, it isn't even meant to be played anymore. Possibly take out reference to the beta altogether. Very few games on wikipedia actually include development/beta/etc sections.
(3) Write a section on development. I've been against it for a long time, but people (pointing mainly at you Lanhoj, but other people as well) Here is a great example of a development section that doesn't suck. See how it is well written, and includes lots of lovely citations, quotations, and inspirations? The development section should include notable events in the development (NOT THE COMMUNITY YOU IDIOTS. THAT MEANS MOD WARS/DRAMA DOESN'T GO IN). Here is my draft:

Blockland's development was heavily influenced by user mods created during the open beta stage. Some features that can be seen in the retail edition that were influenced by user mods include: letter/print bricks, the brick selection system, blah blah blah etc.

The large number of user mods also led to the development of a plugin mod system, making it much easier to manage the large amount of user created content available for the game.

Badspot was approached by LEGO for a job but declined, the game was originally free and eventually developed into a retail product, blockland is still occasionally updated adding content/patches/bug fixes, etc, random other facts. blah.

(one more pointless rant)

*NOTE!! there isn't anything about "BLOCKLAND BLM AIO RTB, COMEDY hurr TBM OPTION THAT GETS YOU BANNED, LALALA! in there**

TLDR VERSION:

Go seal yourself up in a subway station filled with sarin gas.