Author Topic: My summer project.  (Read 2050 times)

I was thinking of contacting a friend of mine, who will be trying to get into a college for game programming or something related to that matter. I was thinking it would be a good experience for the both of us as I would like to learn about modeling and texturing, as well as mapping and a bit of coding, but the main problem is what engine to use. I was also hoping for something that didn't rely heavily on coding, especially of the c++ breed.

It is going to be an FPS. And the engine HAS TO BE FREE.

I thought of retribution, but it would feel more like a mod and everything is grainy.

It absolutely needs to have multiplayer capabilities over a master server?

The highest bidders for me right now are the Sauerbraten and Cube engines.

I may add a poll once people talk about others.

.......And the engine HAS TO BE FREE......
Good luck with that.

Yeah i agree with Xoax, pretty much impossible to find a free game engine.
I think you should work on something else , you don't seem to be a coder or
graphics designer(it will take many months to master coding and modeling).
Also there will be other cost for *Master server hosting(I think you have to pay for server hosting) and modeling program.
So um good luck i guess..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:39:07 PM by Benefit »

If you wanna use C++ you could look into using XNA express. I dunno what kind of capabilities you could get though.

Good luck with that.

I recommend Torque Game Engine.  It's not free though.

ogre3d is free.  But their licensing sucks.

irrlicht is free and it looks ok.

I bought TGE.

Good luck with that.

There are plenty, I could even make a list.

Yeah i agree with Xoax, pretty much impossible to find a free game engine.
I think you should work on something else , you don't seem to be a coder or
graphics designer(it will take many months to master coding and modeling).
Also there will be other cost for *Master server hosting(I think you have to pay for server hosting) and modeling program.
So um good luck i guess..

It isn't impossible at all considering that there are dozens.

Also, you don't really know me, so you couldn't really say that "I don't seem to be a coder or graphics designer."
I realize it could take months or years to learn a language which is why it is a summer project. I also own MS3D which is a reasonable modeling program with many exporting options. Master server hosting on a free engine I doubt costs money, especially if you look at games like AssaultCube (Free game) and BLv0002. (The engine wasn't free, but I think using its server was.)

I am also working with a friend, which is a thing that some of you seemed to miss.

This is mostly a learning experience, I am not expecting to create a successful free game that has very little bugs in it.

ogre3d is free.  But their licensing sucks.
It's licensed under the LGPL, what's wrong with that?

ogre3D (and irrlicht too i think) is just an engine for the graphics, i think he wants something that also kinda helps with the other stuff too

edit: also what about IOQuake3? a somewhat enhanced version of id tech 3, but then again that might be to much on the "heavily coding" side :/
http://ioquake3.org/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:37:47 PM by zackin5 »

ogre3D (and irrlicht too i think) is just an engine for the graphics, i think he wants something that also kinda helps with the other stuff too

edit: also what about IOQuake3? a somewhat enhanced version of id tech 3, but then again that might be to much on the "heavily coding" side :/
http://ioquake3.org/
IOQuake3 is the worst engine I've seen yet for 3D.

I'm starting to veer off the course of engines that have MP support, because that would require more frequent updating.

I'm also thinking about engines that can be coded in javascript a bit. Maybe C++ too.

Don't use cube or retribution because they suck\.

What about Sauerbraten?

Also, I agree with you very much with retribution. Cube for me has its ups and downs, the biggest would be the grainy looking textures for most things.

Sauerbraten is an updated Cube, so it's included in the Cube part.

Try using id Tech 3. You can get a free open source game that uses it, and get the source code. World of Padman is like this.