Author Topic: Clonk Rage  (Read 21615 times)

Clonk Rage is an action/adventure/rpg/building/RTS game in beautiful 2-D. It takes a little bit to get used to, but once you learn how to control and learn it, it gets to be a narcotic (addiction). I’ll try to summarize the game a bit. Basically, Clonk is an extensive 2D action-adventure-strategy platformer. Usually you control a group of the Clonks, using them to build up a settlement. For the building process you need resources, which you can get by digging into the ground. There you can dig for coal, pump up oil, or blow up veins of ore and gold. While gold is the common currency in the game, you also need energy – coal is used to fire up furnaces, which melt ore to metal. And windmills are used to power elevators which will let you mine more professionally. There are also pipes, wires and other thinks that you can connect to make things work!

At least, that’s the most common scenario. Actually that’s just a tiny bit of what Clonk offers in terms of variety, but summing it all up is practically impossible. Other popular scenarios are the middle age, where huge castles are built and knights fight hand-to-hand or on horseback, and the Western, where small towns are built and cowboys shoot each other. There are also several flavors of foreign worlds, like the arctic, a deep jungle… you name it.

There’s an uncountable amount of more stuff due to Clonk’s modability. For at least 10 years now there’s been a huge community of people who have created all sorts of stuff. It ranges from level mods that use pre-made content, or scripted adventures (for example, there is a neat Diablo-esque level that includes questing and leveling up), to completely original scenarios, like a cool sci-fi pack that includes armored troops with machine guns, hoverbikes, and huge complexes full of alien scum. I hope that helps explain why it’s so hard to just define Clonk.

Technically, the series has come quite far. While it featured cute, but crude, hand-drawn 2D pixel art in the past, the game now features a 3D look that isn’t any less charming. Probably most interesting though is the destructibility of the terrain, which reminds of Cortex Command, and the “fluid” physics. The water in the game is pretty dynamic, making rain a lethal foe as it loves to flood your mine shafts. The only thing that hasn’t really changed is the quite archaic midi music. For me that’s simply added nostalgia, but it might be annoying for new players (F1 disables music!).

And to briefly cover one of Clonk’s most important aspects: there is multiplayer. All kinds of it. You can play in split-screen with up to 4 players sharing a keyboard, but you can also plug in as many gamepads as you’d like. There’s also internet-play, which works mighty fine without especially much lag. And how you play is entirely up to you: You may want to play a small “Melee”, which is a kind of deathmatch, or you may build up huge colonies with walls and other defenses to have really big battles. Or you can just play a level cooperatively to build up a huge colony with a friend… or twelve.

Catch me or other Blocklanders online. My Username is "Radial543". You can get a fully functional demo (you can play online, but you can't create servers or play a couple of scenarios) to buy it (I did, it's awesome) it is 15 USD or EUR 15.00.

Now time for a screen-shot gallery!

Youtube trailer/gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p83_ONA9qyw

Yay for single computer split-screen!

There is alot more features and things that you can do in Clonk, but I didn't want to post too much!  :cookieMonster:

Link to website: http://www.clonk.de/contents_en.html

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:01:33 PM by Radial543 »

It's like worms with CC with lemmings with Age of Empires?

I've played this with some people, it can get pretty laggy if you make it rain oil and then a volcano lights it on fire.

EDIT : Oh lawd, you linked to CC in there.  Didn't even notice.

Is it free?

Catch me or other Blocklanders online. My Username is "Radial543". You can get a fully functional demo (you can play online, but you can't create servers or play a couple of scenarios) to buy it (I did, it's awesome) it is 15 USD or EUR 15.00.

I have the registered version since about half a year ago, great game but haven't played in a while.

Fix up the first post with proper screenshots and a link to the website:
http://www.clonk.de/contents_en.html

There are several free versions of Clonk, I'd recommend looking into those, too.

Haha, I remember playing clonk planet. I had made a modified map that gave you all the pieces you needed to make a huge castle and flat basement pieces to work on. I would build huge elaborate castles that had windmills contained inside them, and huge catapult and cannon towers. I would load liquid concrete balls into my cannons that would fill in the tops of his towers so he couldn't use them anymore. I would also fire flaming arrows over his castle and burn down his sawmill, pumps, and other stuff behind his castle. Then I'd build a tower so high that he couldn't shoot the arrows back over it.

I pissed him off one too many times doing that and now he doesn't play anymore. :(

Well, sorry about that. I will add pictures and a link. I accidentally posted it when I was clicking preview, but before I could modify it, I had to get off the computer due to someone else wanting to get on. I posted the Rage version because its compatible with my OS and has online capabilities. You can talk about other versions in this thread too.

Edit: yay fixed my mistakes.

Haha, I remember playing clonk planet. I had made a modified map that gave you all the pieces you needed to make a huge castle and flat basement pieces to work on. I would build huge elaborate castles that had windmills contained inside them, and huge catapult and cannon towers. I would load liquid concrete balls into my cannons that would fill in the tops of his towers so he couldn't use them anymore. I would also fire flaming arrows over his castle and burn down his sawmill, pumps, and other stuff behind his castle. Then I'd build a tower so high that he couldn't shoot the arrows back over it.

haha, thats awesome!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:39:44 PM by Radial543 »

this sucks. the ai refuses to do what i tell it

this sucks. the ai refuses to do what i tell it

Too complex tunnels screw it up, elevators and straight tunnels usually fix that.