Author Topic: Blockland vs Roblox: Vehicles  (Read 10623 times)

I know i just feel like starting a roblox fight so this topic gets locked.

Ok, I'll lock this topic!
I just wanted to point out though that they had an exceptional system to make vehicles and we don't.  Yet we buy the software and they don't.  I'm just trying to make Blockland better in most every way, so noone will be able to say Roblox is better and actually have a legit point.  What's wrong with making a good product better, thus widening your target audience and increasing sales?

And if you read all of my post, I didn't hear anyone argue all of my suggestions.  There's always a way to do things.  What about my idea to build a vehicle model on-the-fly with an editor?  The idea is this:  Make a plugin that takes brick peices in a segment of space and then turns the pattern of bricks into a model for a vehicle, so it can be spawned at a vehicle pad?  The bricks don't get moved or changed, they just define what a model should look like and the plugin builds the model and assigns it to a vehicle script.  Then it can be saved and re-cloned again and again.  We'd need an editor gui to to customize the script and thus behavior, but do you think there's potential there?  Maybe if that can't be done, an external program can be used to turn build files into vehicle models, with some sort of algorithm to find CoG and all.  Of course, only the vehicle should be in the build file, you don't want to turn Beta City into a vehicle!

If someone gives an "it's possible" reply, I'll lock this topic and start a new one, sans Roblox.  If we continue debating the obvious and pointless, I'll lock the topic and forget about it.

oh no don't get me wrong you have just people are going to get the wrong idea and get sidetracked

it's possible....

But it'd be a pain in the ass to code, and because of that no one will want to implant it.

Also only idiots think we need to beat roblox

We aren't trying to defeat a community.
We aren't trying to duplicate roblox function's.

It's possible, within certain limitations.

You're going to have to build the car out of pre-molded parts in the game.
You can't model, animate, load and distribute models to clients on the fly, at least not without seriously editing the engine.
You're going to get the old "hey all of my body parts are lagging 3 feet behind me!" effect you got in RTB...
Unless you design the vehicle the same way Badspot made the avatars (which is coincidentally why we can't make custom avatar parts) and make a default vehicle consisting of every part overlapping and just hide the parts you aren't using.

But when it comes down to it, there are things that Roblox will probably always do better than Blockland. The Roblox engine was designed from the beginnings as a very physics oriented engine. If you've taken a look at other Torque games, you'll quickly notice that Torque isn't very robust when it comes to physics. In the few games that do have "objects" with physics, the "objects" are typically just heavily edited vehicles.

Your suggestions have been intelligent though, don't let anyone in this thread discourage you. But also keep in mind, we don't need to compete with Roblox. People who buy another game aren't necessarily "lost customers" in the same way that someone who buys one brand popcorn over another is. All playing Age of Empires II did was lead me to purchase Alpha Centauri, Civilization, World in Conflict, Age of Mythology, Universe at War, Rise of Nations, Red Alert 2... (not in that order or at the same time of course)

What i don't get is why we would want to stop and waste time to make some crappy vehicle when all we really should do is plop down a vehicle spawn and hit it with the wrench.

What i don't get is why we would want to stop and waste time to make some crappy vehicle when all we really should do is plop down a vehicle spawn and hit it with the wrench.
The whole concept of making a vehicle look how you want it.

I don't care too much about the look.  As long as it goes fast, I'll drive it.
also
inb4drama

Hmm... So the brick collision thing is based on a grid with each cell the size of a 1x1F, right? Now, if we could make a vehicle that spawns as a, say, small baseplate with wheels, and has its own brick grid (possibly of a limited size depending on A: whether the collision grids can be limited to certain X/Y/Z size, and B: whether it's any easier to accomplish as opposed to an unlimited grid) which would rotate along with the vehicle.

Now there would be the issue of how to tell the game which grid we're trying to build in ('though I think there could be a GUI, a tool, or some keybinding(s) for that), not to forget the question of how many grids the engine could handle before coming crashing down.

Hmm... So the brick collision thing is based on a grid with each cell the size of a 1x1F, right? Now, if we could make a vehicle that spawns as a, say, small baseplate with wheels, and has its own brick grid (possibly of a limited size depending on A: whether the collision grids can be limited to certain X/Y/Z size, and B: whether it's any easier to accomplish as opposed to an unlimited grid) which would rotate along with the vehicle.

Now there would be the issue of how to tell the game which grid we're trying to build in ('though I think there could be a GUI, a tool, or some keybinding(s) for that), not to forget the question of how many grids the engine could handle before coming crashing down.
Not possible bricks are stactic shapes which can't be moved.

They are static shapes generated on a 3D grid. So, as I said, why couldn't we make MORE grids, ones that are positioned relative to a vehicle?

Unless of course a movable brick grid (with the collisions and rendering and all) would be either completely impossible to make or VERY taxing on the computer if made on the Torque engine (and don't say it's either one if you haven't fiddled around with Torque yourself (i.e. the engine code n' stuff) or haven't acquired a general understanding of the engine otherwise (not talking about making addons to Blockland)).

They are static shapes generated on a 3D grid. So, as I said, why couldn't we make MORE grids, ones that are positioned relative to a vehicle?

Unless of course a movable brick grid (with the collisions and rendering and all) would be either completely impossible to make or VERY taxing on the computer if made on the Torque engine (and don't say it's either one if you haven't fiddled around with Torque yourself (i.e. the engine code n' stuff) or haven't acquired a general understanding of the engine otherwise (not talking about making addons to Blockland)).

Dude it is just not going to happen anytime soon. Play gmod if you want to make something like this. If not that go buy some legos.

Dude it is just not going to happen anytime soon.
I wasn't demanding Badspot to make this now (or ever), just pondering on the possibility of how buildable vehicles *might* work if they were implemented in Blockland. :\

It isn't going to happen.