Author Topic: Why am I so sentimental over electronics?  (Read 4311 times)

Every time this sorta thing happens, I get all sentimental. When I got a gameboy advanced to replace my gameboy color. When I got my desktop to replace my laptop. And now, I have just got a new phone to replace my old one.
My old phone is a Virgin Mobile Oystr, nicknamed by me to be "pocket-phone", that I got about three years ago and we have seen alot together. It was my first cell phone and basically my first step into actually becoming a normal teenager. It was partly the reason I had the one girlfriend I actually cared for (she had the same phone, it kinda was like a joke I guess). It helped me stay in touch with my parents and friends in times of crCIA. It helped me get a ride back from the mall after my friend decided to ditch me there. For a breif time I used a Razr but then switched back to the Oystr. This phone has so many memories. Recently, however, it had been refusing to charge up. I would connect the power thingy to it and it would charge for half a second then stop and say the cord was disconnected. The phone itself was also beginning to become kinda dated, sometimes when I pressed a button it would take several seconds to respond. Whenever two days ago I had to get a ride home from work, only to have my phone turn off due to the battery while I was trying to find my dad's car, I decided I would try one last time to charge it. It resulted in me chucking the phone at the wall in frustration. Don't worry, I didn't break it, infact the phone decided to charge for a good two hours after that point. At that point I figured it was enough, so today I bought a Cyclops and transferred my account to it. It looks rather similar to my old phone, aside from the camera and lack of antenna, and I was able to make the menus and such look almost identicle to my old phone's, so thats good. Whenever I went to turn off my old phone for the last time, I made an ordeal of it. First I took pictures of it using my new phone, so that I could possibly show people my first cellphone incase random conversation brought me to that point. Next I set the main message to "Welcome Back!" in case I ever need to use it again, say to transfer a phone number that my dad left on it from when he used to use it (forgot to mention he had the phone for 3 months before he gave it to me). Finally I pushed the power button on it in such a dramatic way. I closed the phone as the power down video played and held it closed in my hands as it played for the last time its distintive 8-bit "goodnight" tune. I unplugged the charger from the wall and used the cord to wrap them together. I then placed the phone in my childhood memories box along side an old broken necklace, some coins, and maps of inmagined kingdoms. Good bye pocket-phone.
*tear*

How does being sentimental over something make me emo?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:33:18 AM by ladios »

Perhaps I should get a blog.   >.>

Ladios, I feel for you man. I'm a pack rat myself, and I get really sentimental about letting things go. For instance, this computer I'm using though on the inside is completely different, on the outside I demanded to keep my e machine casings, I love them too much. I have the same feelings where you become almost attached to an inanimate object because of the memories, not necessarily using it, but remembering using it. That way when you see it in your childhood memory box and you're 34, you'll think back and say "I remember the good times when... "

So really these guys are all just being jerks. And yes, an inanimate object wouldn't mean more to me than the value of a life for instance, its just the fact that you remember it.

If you organize a funeral for it(I mean a full fledged funeral with a 6-foot deep burial at a real cemetery, and also hire a priest to give a eulogy), I swear that I will get a ticket to California and come to it. :cookieMonster:

I get sentimental over everything : 3

Even this cup
*dances with cup

I get sentimental over everything : 3

Even this cup
*dances with cup

hahahahah icup

I got sentimental over my old computer until it started freezing and then I beat the cr.p out of it
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:09:23 AM by Domidore »

I'm the same way you are, Swholli. As much as I may change out the insides of my computers, I usually like to keep the case.

Also, it was kinda sad when I let my old Sony Vaio go. My first computer, but it was getting to be in a bad condition. Same with my completely non-working Powerbook G3 (My first laptop)
Cept I still have the Powerbook.

RIP Vaio 1998-2006
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:22:16 AM by Miga »