Author Topic: DF: Drunkenwork (Succession!)  (Read 7742 times)

From the Mirrortires thread;
THE RULES

Each player will be given a full year turn to manage the fort however they want. The point, of course, is to survive as long as you can. First person to forget up will be hilariouslaughed at and so loving up should be avoided. There's also this basic stuff...

1- Thou MUST AVOID Adamantine! In the case the fortress guards are not ready, mining of the holy rock should it be found is to be avoided! ADAMANTINE IS CURSED!

2- Thou MUST NOT cheat! Shameless manipulation of the laws given to us by the blood god is a crime, punishable with a hammering!

3- Thou MUST update! Thine brethren must inquire on the circumstances of the fortress! (or atleast post the map on that site once in a while, along with a small story of something interesting that happened, but keep in mind that FULL updates are still heavily recommended. Get creative)

4- If thy cannot update within 4 days, thine turn shall be forfeit! The next player will acquire what you had done and continue from there. If it cannot be acquired, the game will continue on from the last spring player change.

I am well aware that sometimes the year becomes boring as forget when nothing happens, ever, and everything is going just too smoothly. You can still post that, just because you aren't dying doesn't mean it can't be an entertaining read. Everyone wants to know how the dwarves are managing. Making a huge deal out of something rather "unimportant" (like miasma breakouts, mad dwarves, stuff like that) can easily keep people interested, more so then 30 days and 30 nights without a loving update.

EDIT: Look guys, half assed updates suck and everyone is sick of them. New rule of thumb, If your update consists of 10 or less lines, odds are good your update isn't very impressive. Make an effort or else we will lose interest and it may result in skipping your turn entirely. If you need some inspiration on how to make epic updates, or just need a point of reference to make your update, go read this tale of amazement Here: http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/

Be sure to post the map in the Map Archives once in a while. It's not all that difficult. All you need to do is download the file converter program. Then go in dwarf fortress, load up the fort, and press escape and then Export Local Image. You will then be able to select the Z layers of general interest and extract them under image type files. Next, use the Converter and select a single one of the images to be converted. The program will identify all other images and convert them as well into a single, nice package. Then, upload that package file to the site and there you go. A link to the archive site can be found below within this post.

5- Thy will not mess up previous leader dwarves, unless it mayhaps be hilarious. NO! THY SHALT NOT forget WITH dUMBELLS :'(

This one is kind of a biggie. Players will name a specific dwarf after them, and you should avoid murdering them without any reason other then to piss said player off. If that dwarf dies heroically in combat, or goes beserk and is finally brought down by a dozen elite guards, then that's fine. Just don't intentionally seal them in a room to flood it and drown them, that's not all that funny.

Extra rules (I can't believe I forgot this one)

6- "No vandalizing past landmarks or tombs and the like."

In light of the complete and utter failure to keep the fortrress of Mirrortires alive, the site was abandoned and the dwarves went back to their mountainhomes.

Now we are going to strike earth again, with a new version, a new world, maybe some new players, and more strictly enforced turn lengths.

First we need to decide what sort of world and situation we want to have, since we can get a physical world and reroll the civ histories to get the war status we want to go into.  Or whatever we want to do with this part of the game.

After that, Sheezy is going to choose a location and take the first turn.  Depending on how fast he goes I might take second turn.

Turn order;

1. dUMBELLS
2. Rkynick
3. XD!
4. Muffinmix
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:06:25 AM by Anti-Cop »

Am I EVER going to get to go on one of these?

Sheesh, they always die or something.

I'm in.

I'm after rkynick. I'll gen up a world, already have the seed.

I'll try to take a go, just two things, should I remove my custom races/items(both my modded and edited ones), and in the case that I do strike adamintine what should I do?

edit: dUMBELLS beat me. :(

edit: added a little more on.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:40:20 PM by XD! »

Adamantine don't mine it, or avoid the pits, or something.  It's not really a game-ender anymore.

I already generated the world.  Sheezy requested taiga/conifer forests.  I messed around with the params and got it to generate without infinite rejects on the second try.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=tzdeqtlgv34&thumb=6

Guys I backed out, the next guy can choose the area in the world.

Me next, I have a ridiculously epic idea and I'll try to make it work out even though I'm not an artist ;)

Edit: Want me to find a good site? I have a pretty good idea what to look for. (Mountain tile, magma, brook/river, 4+ biomes for allot of diversity)

Edit 2: What are all those white tiles? Is that snow?? Oh god, epic snow fort :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:12:23 PM by Muffinmix »

So I'm going? Just want to be clear on this.

if I am, I will proceed to start my turn post-haste.

Don't worry, I'm a very good starter, but I suck come goblin-raid time.(save for making endless arrays of traps)

Also, permission to make artificial lake using pumps?

I've already struck earth after Anti and I worked it out. Expect my turn to be completed really soon, I won't be taking long this time.

I believe you forgot me Anti

Aww, but I was the next guy :[

You people and doing things without informing the rest of us :/

So I'm going? Just want to be clear on this.

if I am, I will proceed to start my turn post-haste.

Don't worry, I'm a very good starter, but I suck come goblin-raid time.(save for making endless arrays of traps)

Also, permission to make artificial lake using pumps?

You're after dUMBELLS, and yeah you have permission to make whatever you want.

dUMBELLS apparently chose a 6x6 embark that is supposed to have a magma vent or something in the far north and a river bit in the far southeast.

I don't agree with using overwhelmingly large embarks to get as much stuff as possible, but I am not sure when I will be able to play this if at all.

I am dUMBELLS Clobberblockade, leader of The Iron of Webs, citizen of The Plank of Elevation. Some know me by my strange obsession with Siliceous ooze, others know me for my strong addiction to alcohol. My comrades, however, know me by my mining ability, I will personally set the foundation of this fortress. It's name: Drunkenwork.

Once introduced to this environment I first noticed the brook was frozen over, I should start on an underground reservoir. I've started up this fortresses entrance layout, I think it should give us good defense against the oncoming goblin sieges. A wall will be built around the channeled portions and space will be made for those marksdwarves.

After hours of hard work me and my partner Ducim Manormoistened we have finally got the rooms carved out. Praise Ral Rocksparks the Flare of Flame; the river is no longer frozen! I gave orders to the woodcutter to cut down exactly seven trees for our beds. Those blasted elves would complain if I took any more tree's 'lives'. Why we are allied with them and why they still are alive I do not know.

I was walking today and suddenly heard a crunch sound, looked down, and was horrified to see a rotten dragonfly. I immediately gave the dwarves an order to put a stockpile of refuse outside. This is why I hesitated when the dwarves wanted me to take kittens along. I also sent the bookkeeper to his office for the next month or so.

The moat has been going along smoothly, it's just that these dwarves keep going on death wish runs to grab some stone down there. It is now summer, and my ultimate fear is for a carp to appear in the river, but I am doubtful as the river freezes in winter. We have more than enough food.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3092-drunkenwork
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:56:14 AM by dUMBELLS »

I like how:

Am I EVER going to get to go on one of these?

Sheesh, they always die or something.

I'm in.
I'm after rkynick. I'll gen up a world, already have the seed.

However...

Turn order;
1. dUMBELLS
2. Rkynick

Jesus when are these forts going to die? The first one was fine, and then the second one was ok, but I really don't see the amount of enjoyment that can come out of this...