Author Topic: The ultimate guide to being a blockhead!  (Read 7982 times)

Chapter 5: Clans
Section 1: Joining clans
There are ways you can get into millions of clans, all easy too. You can either make an awesome box house with single layered walls and no windows, make it all rainbow white undulo. Oh and don't forget emitters and lights, those make it much more visually appealing. Submit this as an app to USSR or MotE, and you'll be famous in no time. Another way to get into these awesome clans is by going into the Titanic server, wait for all the bricks to load, hit esc, and click save. This is probably the best solution to getting into a clan.
Section 2: Making a clan
Everyone can make a clan, but only you can make a good one. Keep your clan topic less than a paragraph, and make sure its about one specific add-on like zombies, something not everyone has in a server. Make clan rivalries, start a war with MotE for sure.
Section 3: Getting people to join your clan
People don't want to have to build awesome to get into your clan, just say they have to listen to you and have something like zombie mod and everyone will join. Now you have your own personal army.
Section 4: Managing your clan
If anyone says your clan 'steals builds' say they lie and that your clan rebuilt it. If they don't believe you then, say your clan built it with the original owner. If any of your clan members call you a noob, instantly ban them and remove them from the clan, they have no idea what they are talking about. Inactive members are good for the clan, they make it look popular because it has more members.

Modifying the Game
One of the large features of Blockland is the ability to modify it to do anything you like, from making new weapons, vehicles or scripts.

Weapons:
Go to Add-Ons and copy the "Weapon_Rocket Launcher.cs" file. This is your base. Open it in your favourite text editor. Something like Notepad++ works very well, as this replaces everything at the end of lines with unreadable junk, protecting your brand new weapon from nasty people stealing it and copying your ideas.
To start with, you'll want to edit the weapon and make it original:
- Search for 'damage'. The first thing you'll find is 'damageRadius', then 'radiusDamage'. Set these to a large number, preferably in the thousands. Remember, the player's HP is 20,000 so you'll want your weapon to deal at least half of this to be powerful.
- Look for "colorShift" and change the numbers there to "0.100 0.500 0.250 1.000", which will make the weapon a dark green colour.
- You'll also want the weapon to have a different shape - try changing the "shapeFile" parts to "./shapes/rocketLauncher.dts". This is a good model, as it looks like a cannon and works very well.
- Look for "uiName" and change it to whatever you like. Choose a good name, like "mEGACANNON" or "XZ32-118" (technical and stuff is very cool) to make your weapon recognisable these when sorting through lists.
- To make the file smaller, try removing some of the semicolons as these are pretty useless and take up space in the file. This helps people download it better.
Save this as "Copy of Weapon_Rocket Launcher.cs".

Distributing Your Weapons
Create a new topic in Decals & Prints (the correct place to post scripted Add-Ons), called "MAI 1ST WEP: MEGA GNU". The capital letters will get it recognised easily. Write a good description of your Add-On, such as "1st gun dont flam plz", then use the Attach buttons on your post to attach Copy of Weapon_Rocket Launcher.cs. A screenshot isn't needed, they take ages to do anyway. Wait ten minutes, then post "bump" in the topic if no-one's responded yet. This pushes your topic back to the top of Decals & Prints, which will make people more likely to post in it. Keep doing this until someone responds.

Vehicles
Scripts
[I'll write these sometime soon, it's quite late now :cookieMonster:]

k

Vehicles
Here, I'm going to show you how to make a good, balanced and most of all, original vehicle by editing the Jeep.

First, go and open Vehicle_Jeep.cs with whatever program you like.
Search for "damage" then change the "maxDamage" and "destroyedLevel" parts to a high number, such as 999999. This makes your vehicle indestructible - obviously you don't want people shooting it and killing it!
Look for "mass" and "density", make each of these about 0.1 so the vehicle is bouncy and better controllable. Also change bodyRestitution to 0.1.
Under "engine", change the torque to about 100000 and the wheel speed to a number that's at least 10000. This gives your new vehicle good and balanced acceleration/power when compared to others with an speed of 30. Change both "brake" numbers to about one or two so the vehicle can stop easier with less force on the brakes.
Now, the controls. Make each of the "rollForce", "yawForce" and "pitchForce" numbers a range about 8000-10000. This makes it easier to turn, etc.
Save this. Don't worry if it says "overwrite" or whatever, just keep pressing Yes until it saves.
Now, open Support_Jeep.cs.
Search for "WheeledVehicleTire" and change the shapefile part to any model out of the Add-Ons/shapes folder. This will make your vehicle look better, with special wheels. One fun thing to try is the Ball model (add-ons/shapes/ball.dts) and if you want change the Radius of the wheels. Change all the Friction parts to 0 or 0.1 and the Damping ones to 10 as you don't want friction and stuff slowing your car down. Finally, go to the JeepSpring below it and change the damping to 10 as well. Save this file.

Post the add-on on the forums with a good, short (5-10 words) single line description. Attach both files to the post. If you have followed the instructions correctly, you should now have a brand new vehicle ("Jeep") that is very fun to drive for everyone, when bouncing around the room.
if you do manage to catch it and get in, don't accelerate. full speed makes the entire game crash

This thread is full of win.

I laughed so hard on everyone's post.

I'll help you out, Space.

Scripts

Making a script is a bit more advanced; you can't just edit numbers. You really have to piece together a puzzle to make a script work. Start by finding good scripts around the forum. Download the add-on (make sure to post in the topic if it's past the 2nd page) and look at the .cs file. Since THEIR add-on works, you can just use bits of it in yours. Combine pieces from a few add-ons until your .cs looks like a full fledged mod that took weeks to write.

After you've done this, post it in one of the boards (except Add-Ons, that's only for the bad modders). Wait about a week, then post it in Coding Help. With a little bit of luck they'll give you an even better script, which you can then post on the forums again. Good luck with scripting your new mod!

^^ That was not as funny as it couldve been.

Space Guy's is very long and doesn't reflect the typical sort of blockhead that doesn't know anything, so i probably won't add to the first post, but thanks for writing it here.

Space Guy's is very long and doesn't reflect the typical sort of blockhead that doesn't know anything, so i probably won't add to the first post, but thanks for writing it here.
NOOB

Make all the shapes for your add-ons in Milkshape, just make a few cylinders and export with the name "ub3rgnu". When saving it, make a new folder in add-ons/shapes and call it "BEZT GNU" or "Add-Ons". Then make a folder inside of that, and save your shape to there. Then go to add-ons, copy Weapon_Rocket Launcher.cs and put it in your new folder, after that, open it with Wordpad and use the "Replace..." button to find "uiName". Change the part that says "Rocket L." to whatever you want. Then find "shape:" and change "RocketLauncher" to "ub3rgnu", and save. Now upload the .cs to Rapidshare (It's the best upload site around, everybody loves it!) and then upload the .dts. Ignore everybody that tells you to put them together, that's stupid. Now copy the links and post it in any section but Add-ons. Don't forget your topic name, make it something non descriptive, like "gun" or "hi".
There, you're done! If you want to, post the link to your thread in as many topics as you want.

:cookieMonster:

NOOB

Since i understand i am going to be flamed if i don't include all of the cool people who were in blockland first, I will add Space Guy's addition. Take into account that it was my choice to place peoples additions into the first post.

If you're going to, post the "Weapons" one only, I don't think I made the Vehicles one that funny. (Rushed...) Someone help me out by making a better one with things about modelling it.

The vehicle does actually work in-game, though, until it crashes the whole thing because you let it bounce somewhere or accelerated. :cookieMonster:

I like FalconDude's one, it just needs to be longer. (more of it!) For scripts, I was going to say "Download something off the eighth page of Coding Help"... but basically the same.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:49:29 AM by Space Guy »

I love this :D

Great laugh, so true.