Author Topic: DF Succession game Fort CloisterCrush, strike the earth!  (Read 8256 times)

This is a new thread for a new succession game fortress. If you aren't familiar with Dwarf Fortress, I recommend finding the main Thread in Games and checking it out. There's a good reason why everyone is going crazy over it (Probably because everyone is actually crazy)

What's going to happen

We will be taking turns managing a Fortress in the game Dwarf Fortress. The turns will be a full year each, from Spring through summer, fall, winter, and then the turn ends at the beginning of spring in the second year. During these turns, expect starvations, ambushes, floods, dead kittens and tiny dwarf dramas. Good stuff

There are some new rules.

1. The Player Order list will not be included this time, seeing as players are simply "not around" to play, and waiting after them destroys some of these threads. INSTEAD, we will give the turn to whoever is readily available and willing to play.

2. Whoever is currently playing has 48 hours to finish their turn. No exceptions, if they do not finish their turn, they have 12 hours to post the current save file to continue from (regardless of what season/day they are in). If they cannot even do that, then their efforts are lost and the game continues on from the last save file posted.

If someone DOES bail out and post the save while he was somewhere in the middle of some season, then the next person to take his turn will have his Year "start" from the beginning of the first season change he sees. So if the save dates from the middle of Fall, 4th year, then the next player's turn will end at the beginning of Winter of the 5th year.

3. POST THE SAVE FILE IN THIS THREAD AFTER YOU ARE DONE.

4. POST "GOOD" UPDATES so we know what the heck is going on. General rule of thumb, if the post has less then 10 lines, odds are your update isn't too good. Exaclty how you make the update apart from that is up to you, I recommend making 1 update per season and posting Screenies.

5. Don't sabotage the fort purposely right before your turn is done, like flooding it or something, although that would be hilarious.

6. Everything else goes, so go crazy and make the most insane projects you feel like doing. Wanna flood the entire map with magma? Go for it by all means.

Thread rules:

You are free to discuss anything relating to Dwarf Fortress in this thread. The insanity peaks your interest and now you got a question about the game? Go ahead and post it. This is NOT a private, exclusive party reserved for the folk that speak some moon language about dwarves and fortresses, and it should not be. If you're a casual reader, completely oblivious to what the hell is going on with these cheap ASCII characters which others mysteriously understand clearly, then go ahead and make a post asking about it. We'll be happy to reply.

I will start up the fort and finish it later tonight God damn this is taking a long time, but I'm a perfectionist at heart so hopefully you guys won't be too disappointed by waiting a little longer. This post is prompt to be edited with Embark location info and some other stuff. Please by all means post away in the meantime, finding the perfect site with the most features (without cheating mind you) could take a bit.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:10:15 PM by Muffinmix »

2. Whoever is currently playing has 48 hours to finish their turn. No exceptions, if they do not finish their turn, they have 12 hours to post the current save file to continue from. If they cannot even do that, then their efforts are lost and the game continues on from the last save file posted.
If they're obviously TRYING, and something goes wrong (say, they got to Autumn, updated to there, showed progress, and thunderstorm stops them for the night), does that count for an exception? 48 hours PERIOD sounds a little TOO strict (better than the 4 days but meh).

Hopefully this one goes somewhere. I may try to get a turn in later.

2. Whoever is currently playing has 48 hours to finish their turn. No exceptions, if they do not finish their turn, they have 12 hours to post the current save file to continue from. If they cannot even do that, then their efforts are lost and the game continues on from the last save file posted.
If they're obviously TRYING, and something goes wrong (say, they got to Autumn, updated to there, showed progress, and thunderstorm stops them for the night), does that count for an exception? 48 hours PERIOD sounds a little TOO strict (better than the 4 days but meh).

Hopefully this one goes somewhere. I may try to get a turn in later.
I want it to sound strict. I'm tired of people starting this up, then leaving it up in the air for a week, and basically killing the thread.

But, if it's an utmost special case, like the guy is putting a stuffload of effort in his updates, or better yet, is MS painting all the events of his updates (forget that would be awesome) then the "No Exceptions" will be ignored and he'll be given more time. Except for that, it's harsh I know but I'm really tired of this stuff happening, or more or less "not happening".

Still looking up a good location, any suggestions?

Once again, I am in.

Try to get a place in yellow mountains, temperate climate.
Lots of sand & a river if possible.

Basically my ideal location.(I love going for those areas)

Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?ujfedwhtj2h

Warning, if you have a file names region2, then rename it before extracting.  Muffin, you probably should change the name of the file...

Hidden features:
Chasm in the upper lefty hand corner.  Not necessary if you want to just use the underground river chasm, so you can move the area right one to get more lakes, trees and soil.
Underground river that flows from the left side around the middle and then into a small chasm in the middle.
Magma pipe in the bottom middleish.  

Also, may I make suggestions for a few other rules: You must do an update once a season, even if nothing interesting happens, just post about daily dealings of dwarfs.
If you are unable to complete a full year in the time allowed, you may finish up the current season, and post the current file as is, and the next player will play a full year starting there.
Make sure you post talking about all the current projects, so that the next person knows whats going on.
If you fail, your turn is over and post the save as is when you lost.  A person who is brave can try and take it back.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:10:39 PM by laremere »

Also, may I make suggestions for a few other rules: You must do an update once a season, even if nothing interesting happens, just post about daily dealings of dwarfs.
If you are unable to complete a full year in the time allowed, you may finish up the current season, and post the current file as is, and the next player will play a full year starting there.
Make sure you post talking about all the current projects, so that the next person knows whats going on.
If you fail, your turn is over and post the save as is when you lost.  A person who is brave can try and take it back.

I'll include that in the OP. I don't want to pack in too many rules so I'll try and comb a few of them.

Also I got a few good candidates so far, I don't like the low amount of Biomes you got on that one, means very low diversity in resources and wildlife.

It DOES have Flux though, so I'll take it if I can't find anything else good soon.

Also, will there be any restrictions on insane projects?

I was thinking a giant tower raising out of a lake 20 Z levels deep.(I've wanted to do something similar for a while now)

I want it to sound strict. I'm tired of people starting this up, then leaving it up in the air for a week, and basically killing the thread.

But, if it's an utmost special case, like the guy is putting a stuffload of effort in his updates, or better yet, is MS painting all the events of his updates (forget that would be awesome) then the "No Exceptions" will be ignored and he'll be given more time. Except for that, it's harsh I know but I'm really tired of this stuff happening, or more or less "not happening".
Yeah yeah yeah, fair is fair but if there's some real life restriction (bah, real life.) then that's kinda over the "fair" line.

Whatever.

Rky, #6.

Also, will there be any restrictions on insane projects?

I was thinking a giant tower raising out of a lake 20 Z levels deep.(I've wanted to do something similar for a while now)
There are no restrictions on projects. Heck, why don't you go all out and make that thing entirely out of obsidian for extra awesomness?

On a side note, I found a completely awesome spot and now I'm just trying to top it. This place will probably have "special secret stuff" buried somewhere in the area, without needing to be any bigger then 6x6.

Yeah yeah yeah, fair is fair but if there's some real life restriction (bah, real life.) then that's kinda over the "fair" line.
If you have a real life restriction, then just do it another time.

Rky, I think beer before giant towers of doom.

If something happened IRL and you can suddenly no longer play, just post the save even if you haven't finished your turn. No extra fuss required.

I'll post the details of this in the OP as it's not too clear, but this will help us keep the ball rolling.

Things happening IRL and me not being able to play? I laugh at you. I could do 4 years in one day.

Alright 3 spots guys: the one laremere posted, one with almost certainly some "secret special stuff" easy enough to find and allot of woodlands, 5 biomes. Another spot that's much more mountainous, same basic features, 5 biomes. The two spots I found don't have a surface magma source though. I'll keep looking in the meantime, I still haven't found any spot I really liked.

Edit: Another good spot, mountains, volcano, 4 biomes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:14:38 PM by Muffinmix »

I'm in, of course.  I just now noticed this thread.   :panda:

I have determined through many more maps that this is the spot of our new fortress:

Those yellow Cups on the mini map are Elf Retreats by the way.

I got all the preperations done and I'll embark soon.
The team!

2 Miner / wrestler / swimmers
1 Woodcutter / Axedwarf / armor-shield guy (the Militant in case the miners aren't around)
1 Carpenter / Mechanic
1 Grower / Cook
1 Grower / Brewer
1 Mason / Building designer

The Supplies!

Last minute checks guys, then we're off

Edit: Apparently the fortress name is Angrystar fish the ageless bane-animal of bins, that's kind of long, want me to reroll?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:32:42 PM by Muffinmix »