Author Topic: DF Succession game Fort CloisterCrush, strike the earth!  (Read 8251 times)

Drop the plump helmet spawn, we will get those from the plump helmets.

Or vice versa.

Bring wood?  Or metal?  It's actually cheaper to bring wood, copper nuggets, and charcoal to make an axe than to bring an axe.
Probably the same with the extra pick.

More variety on drinks for more barrels?  Maybe food too.

Turtles?

Don't you need an anvil for that?

Yeah I'll drop some of the spawns and get more diverse stuff instead, maybe one of each booze producing underground plant.

And yeah you need an Anvil to make the axes, which we won't start with in this case.

Also I must note that the brewer/grower and cooker/grower seems like a good idea.  Lately I've been going with brewer/cook and a fisher(because it usually takes me a half a year or so to get farming up and running)/grower.  I think I'll do that next fort.

Year 1, SPRING

The initial scout who found this land and reported it to our queen Lolor, then incited myself along with six others whom were all masters of their trade, to embark upon this newfound land. No sooner was I greeted by the queen herself in all her majesty, and then given the honor of setting out on this great adventure, and making my very own home. My name is Cilob, but a lone farmer, and the appointed current expedition leader. This is my story, no, our story.

After trekking through the harsh wilderness, through mazes of forest and the harshest deserts, we finally found our home. Our current location however seems to be between a bottomless void and a red, hot vent of magma. We quickly moved to a new, safer location, although recent sightings of a Giant Eagle in the area has me thinking there IS no safe area. We will monitor this fierce beast's movements as we mine out our home.

The red marks the Giant Eagle's position

We immediately began training our dogs into War dogs. There is no way they could possibly fend off that monstrous bird, but they will provide much use in everything else on land.

The rest of the proceedings went uneventfully, I began planting some Sweet Pods safely underground, that bird of horrors kept it's distance, and our miners began digging out some storage rooms and will soon dig out our stoneworks, and then our quarters.

More to come!

May I join as well, or am I too late?

May I join as well, or am I too late?

Nope you're not, just be around when the next turn swiitch happens. Second update coming soon

Edit: I'll post my current map at the beginning of this next update. The fort is already shaping up nicely.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:35:16 PM by Muffinmix »

Remember, I have nothing better to do than play my entire turn in one sitting .

Year 1, SUMMER

Here I have asked our field surveyor Lokom to scout out our fortress and jot down a map. And blimey did he do a fine job.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3221-cloistercrush

I'm not so sure bringing 28 dogs and training them was such a good idea now. A small swarm of wardogs follows me at all time, and another swarm does much the same for my mason Lorbam. Although I feel extremely secure having this many dogs around me at all times, they are rather troublesome and getting in the way, I've instructed the carpenter to build us a cage to keep a few of them in.

In the meantime, our miners are digging out some nice rooms for us, and some lucky dwarf gets to stay in this room filled with beautiful sapphires. I picked the short straw, as it was decided one of the miners will be staying in there. I suppose it's fair seeing as he did dig out the room after all.

In case you are wondering, dear reader, those rooms are littered with the precious rock Bauxite, which is a rare stone that can withstand the highest temperatures. Even magma cannot melt this stone, so it makes for perfect magma gates and magma proof mechanisms for those gates.

I take back what I said, that miner DESERVES his bloody room. He just went out and struck gold while mining out our main shaft to the brook. I trust one of my successors will be looking into this.

Life goes on...

And then. This.

Ok in all seriousness, I did not use any cheats, no prospector, nothing. I didn't even know there would be adamantine on this map tile, it was in the middle of a heavily mountainous terrain and it could've been anywhere on the whole map. But again out of loving nowhere, I struck adamantine. What the hell man, what the hell.

Continuation

Our miners reported that they struck some strange eerie blue rock. I came down the shaft to see what they spoke of, and saw it. This stone glowed with an otherworldly light. Small blue rocks of it lay on the floor, I picked them up and the miner Vucar told me this was no normal stone, and he'd never seen the likes of it. The rock I held in my hand was strangely light, lighter then any other stone I'd come across. The faint glow it emitted was both beautiful and strangely sinister. Something about this stone was not right, and I instructed my miners to immediately cease mining it and dig in the other direction. As I made my way back up the shaft I pondered the meaning of this discovery, what we had found. Was it Adamantine, that mythical metal said to have been sewn into the earth by Armok himself? I sent a messenger pigeon out to inform our mountain home of the strange discovery.

I hadn't even the time to ponder this strange stone and the miners had already struck another vein of Gold. By Bugsud those miners work fast.

Our season proceeded normally for the next few days, with not much change. The woodcutter spots Elk fairly often outside North of our fortress. It seems they frequently migrate in our region. This would make a perfect spot for hunting, well, if that bloody Giant Eagle wasn't prowling just to the west.

Our kitchen was set up, our rooms were finished, our stockpiles were all lain out, and our workshops were already moved indoors. Our next task was to make a good dining room.

We seem to be suffering a Miasma problem, as everyone is too busy to pick up after that damned cat. The fortress cat actively seeks out vermin and tears them apart, leaving the corpse behind to rot. And that rot makes quite a smell, that you can surely trust me on.

You might also see just up north of that miasma cloud a double bridge structure. That is our fortress' last line of defense against marauding parties. The current fortress will be designed to completely lock down with a flick of a switch. None will be able to get in or out. As I mentioned, this is the very last line, and I plan on making many other layers of defense outside of that one which will still allow the dwarves to safely proceed outside.

Inside the fortress, each Shaft will also be capable of retracting the drawbridges and thus Access to the upper and lower levels, unless the invading parties fancy a drop to the lowest level of the shaft, a good 24 levels down.

And with that, Autumn has arrived. I asked my trusty scout to once again draw up a map of the fortress and the surrounding area. I am starting to think he is some kind of artist.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3223-cloistercrush
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:39:48 AM by Muffinmix »

Do not mine any further

Don't put our fortress at risk. Not yet. Leave it be and redirect your tunnel far away from it.

Of course, you probably know this.

Also, consider getting some forges up and such. Preferably with the magma.

Do not mine any further

Don't put our fortress at risk. Not yet. Leave it be and redirect your tunnel far away from it.

Of course, you probably know this.

Also, consider getting some forges up and such. Preferably with the magma.

I was just about to start that up, since the miners have done everything else except some defense lines around the fortress. I'll set up a good room and block off any magma residents with the fancy bauxite I just found.

And yeah, I will not mine the adamantine except if someone gets a strange mood and claims a forge, but we don't have any weaponsmiths/armorsmiths yet so I doubt they'll take anything except a craftsdwarf's shop.

If I do get a moody dwarf taking some workshop, I'll know "where" to mine, or at least have a good idea of where to mine to get the less risk.

For now, I need to get some sleep. I've been at it for 5 hours now and if it wasn't 3:45 in the morning I'd keep going. I'll continue this insanity  first thing tomorrow morning. Also that Giant Eagle is staying put on it's side of the brook so it's relatively safe outside the fortress.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:48:04 AM by Muffinmix »

Year 1, FALL

This morning Lorbam, the fortress mason and architect, came and informed me that he had just designed the greatest bridge he had ever imagined. I told him that was fantastic, and then I asked where the bridge was so I could see it. He immediately shoved a pile of pages with indiscernible lines and strange symbols towards me, and I realised these were just plans for a bridge. Before I had time to react to what was going on, he told me proudly he'd go build that bridge up right now, and left. The end result was not as good as he had imagined.

As we were mining our new Magma forge room, again our miners reported they had struck a strange blue rock. This rock had become almost a nuisance, as this is the second time our mining efforts were thwarted due to it. I told my miners again to change location. I have a feeling this is going to happen again unless we stay clear of the magma pipe.

We seem to be suffering a pet problem, as all 28 wardogs seem to be spontaneously giving birth inside that cage. With this many dogs, I'm still wondering if 28 dogs was such a good idea. I told my scout to keep cramming any pups that manage to flee the cage back into it. And with that, I go back to my daily farming tasks.

Then this happens, graphite. By Armok that rock can ignite! And we're planning to run magma over it! I am beginning to tire of all this nonsense, I told my miners to continue digging that damned magma channel and we'll take care to haul whatever dangerous rock they dig out. Then we'll simply wall off the rest of the vein with something less combustible.

An outpost liaison, an extremely well dressed and well mannered dwarf had arrived today just up north from our outpost. A caravan had also arrived, although they were on the other side of the brook with that damned Giant Eagle. I pray for their lives.

Luckily the Giant Eagle seemed to almost shy away from the caravan guarded by Axedwarfs and Hammerdwarfs. Our proudest true dwarven warriors were less then no match for that thing, an elephant size bird capable of creating many a horror story and for good reason. When my Queen Lolor spoke to me before I departed on my journey, she told me to be wary of two creatures that meant dwarven death: Giant Eagles and then in hushed tones, Carp. While I pondered why in the world fish of all things would present any sort of danger, one of the miners Vuccar interrupted me, saying the bulk of the caravan had made it safely to the Depot tunnel.

I just realised a small problem, we had nothing to trade. In my rush to get the fortress ready I forgot we needed something, if anything, to trade to these merchants, else we would already have a scarred reputation. The giant eagle is being strangely cooperative and letting the idiot portion of the caravan come inside our fortress to get to the safe, underground depot. Why they would want to climb all the way up the mountainside in order to get to the depot on brook level, I do not know.

And then, this thief pops up beside my rather strong carpenter Asmel, and trekking not too far behind was my mighty scout whom had several  months of martial training under his belt.

The thief went down quickly but not without a fight. Before he succumbed, he had badly gashed the Asmel's lower arm. It could have been a whole lot worse, as although kobolds are small in stature, they sport a small blade that can often times fatally wound even Dwarves if they get a chance to use it.

Asmel made a surprisingly fast recovery and got back to work. I swear that dwarf is as stout as the very wood he works. I often feel proud simply being privileged to work alongside him.

In the meantime, one of the Caravan's hammerdwarfs is going on a rampage and murdering all the helpless camels, literally sending them flying into rock faces. One day, perhaps we will have our very own militia capable of doing that.

Another thief is found, and this time our mighty Scout is ready for action. He mentally reviews his martial rules, and then gives chase, axe in hand. He catches up with the thief down the mountain and severs the thief's entire arm in one clean bloody slice.

The thief is no match for this mighty dwarf.

While the scout is away cleaning up after the other thief, a third thief pops up! Again our carpenter Asmel is ready to greet the visitor, with his fists.

The giant eagle, through all this fiasco, has been very strangely cooperative, silently looming on it's small cliff side perch. I fear it's planning something, watching us from a close enough distance. I told my dwarves not to provoke it, but they keep going down the mountainside to haul whatever it is they haul. I have a feeling I will need to resort to some drastic measure to keep my dwarves safely indoors.

While all this other nonsense was going on, I began cooking some of our huge stock of booze into some lavish meals, in the hopes to give the traders at least something worth trading for. They must be a hungry lot by now, and perhaps we will be able to procure ourselves an Anvil.

I'll need to work fast, otherwise they'll leave!

Phew, I made it. And boy were they hungry, they were practically drooling over these delicacies I made for them. I managed to swipe a nice anvil, all the meat they had and our secret weapon against that monster bird, a steel crossbow. Once the forges are set up I trust my predecessors will be able to equip a small squad with more crossbows to go strike down that horrible bird.

And then, out of nowhere the Liaison who was stalking me came up and asked me what I wanted to request from next year's caravan, I pondered my choices carefully...

Intermission
Alright guys! I'm going to take a small break and ask you what you'll want to have them bring next year? You'll be the ones playing next so I figure you guys should make the choice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:30:13 PM by Muffinmix »

Usually you request what you will need... materials or seeds.  Maybe weapons and armor if you can make enough trade goods to afford that.

focus on whatever we need to become self sufficient-- i.e seeds instead of plants, anvil instead of metal-crafts.

I just noticed we have no turtles, I'll ask for some of those.

Maybe Flux as well?