Author Topic: Can you Export the free google sketchup file as diferent file?  (Read 1121 times)

I was wondering if it's possible to get a free version of google sketchup and export the model as a .DTS or some other file type.

no, you need the pro version to export as an .obj, and then you're going to have to use Blender.

500 dollars for pro.... I'm alittle short for that... :(

I'm not sure why I am saying this because inevitably were gonna receive a huge wave of crap from SU but...

Theres a free trial available for the full version of Sketchup. It works for 450 hours (or close to that) and for that time period is fully featured.

From there you can...

Sketchup ---> .obj ---> Blender ---> .dts

Sketchup ---> .obj ---> Maya ---> .dts

Sketchup ---> .3ds ---> MS3D ---> .dts

Sketchup ---> .3ds ---> 3DS Max ---> .dts

Sketchup[/b] ---> .3ds ---> MS3D ---> .dts

Milkshape can inport .obj files too.

Milkshape can inport .obj files too.

Aye. and I think Maya can import 3Ds files too. I just figured having a list a mile long of all the possibilities was redundant.

I wouldn't recommend doing your modelling in SU because after exporting you still need to flatshade, add joints, add textures (sometimes) and reexport again. Many of the skills (like placing joints) are similar to how you would approach typical modeling for games which is slightly different from the extrusion based nature of SU.

In other words, your not really avoiding the more difficult nature of modeling by using SU.

There is a free plugin on the Internet which lets you export .obj files from Sketchup. Search.