Author Topic: Alright kiddies, time for a grammar lesson.  (Read 5740 times)

Had a grammar unit test about punctuation (all of the grammatical errors and rules that you've talked about.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 06:18:42 PM by ^NecaNinja^ »

I'm going to give this topic to a few friends at my school, who WRITE with "u, ur, lol, dat, wut, i, im, wtf, omg" and other words.

First of all, the ability to read something is extremely important, and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise.

I Agree. I talk (most) normally, because i'm NOT english and i don't know that well your ...uhm... here, this is a word i don't know.  Your  "OMG man, lezgo to yar candeh place !" ...this gives and idea after all.   :panda:

I blame censorship and hip hop on all the bad English running about. Censorship forces people to make new words for ones that already exist to still seem like they have an edge. Hip hop....well how else are you going to get something to rhyme with another thing than to invent a new word? Also the former reason as well.

It's not that hard to figure out what is being censored.

OMFG, this is gold.

First off, i.e is Latin and does not mean "in example". Secondly, the phrase is used with LOWER CASE letters.
I.E= Initials. (Internet Explorer, Ian Epson)
i.e= "That is"

http://www.englishforums.com/English/Example/bpjqb/post.htm

The hippo is critical.
Acronyms do not have definite meanings. You can turn any series of words into an acronym. Therefore, "I.E.", in this context, means "In Example".

Acronyms do not have definite meanings. You can turn any series of words into an acronym. Therefore, "I.E.", in this context, means "In Example".
An acronym can work like a word. Like the meaning of AD is "Anno Domini", the meaning of "i.e" is "id est".

Not to forget than "In example" makes no sense. I believe you mean "For example".

e.g. or i.e.
The abbreviation e.g. (from the Latin exempli gratia, 'for sake of an example') indicates that one or more examples follow of what has been mentioned in general terms: It could be cheaper by public transport, e.g. by train or coach. The abbreviation i.e. (from Latin id est, 'that is') indicates that an explanation follows of what has just been mentioned: Gratuities are discretionary, i.e. you don't have to leave a tip if you don't want to.

you'd say for example not in example

e.g. or i.e.
The abbreviation e.g. (from the Latin exempli gratia, 'for sake of an example') indicates that one or more examples follow of what has been mentioned in general terms: It could be cheaper by public transport, e.g. by train or coach. The abbreviation i.e. (from Latin id est, 'that is') indicates that an explanation follows of what has just been mentioned: Gratuities are discretionary, i.e. you don't have to leave a tip if you don't want to.

you'd say for example not in example
Seconding this. "i.e." has been misused too many times, but that's how we English(American) speaking peoples roll.

god why do most people think children cannot get their grammar right, i am a child and i do pretty well, as you can seemust relieve stress

Not to forget than "In example" makes no sense. I believe you mean "For example".
"In example" makes absolute perfect sense to me. "In example, we see this lizard is fat". Say it out loud, both "for" and "in" make sense.

i.e= "That is"

Also, Id Est means "In other Words...". Regardless, in this context it still makes sense.