Author Topic: New BL.us site.  (Read 5631 times)

i personally likeed the old site better

i personally likeed the old site better

I do too... For me..the new site is just not...whats the word...Pleasing, so to speak.

Image loading is weird and buggy, the Flash doesn't display unless I refresh, and overall the look is way too heavy. I'm on Camino & Safari on Mac OS X, FYI.

Nice site at least he tried guys.

Badspot

• Administrator
The images are just images.  The flash is just flash.  I'm not doing anything wrong.  If it doesn't load right it's your problem.

The first time first time I went to the site after uploading it, it was all wierd looking because of caching issues.  After I refreshed a few times I haven't had a single problem in IE or firefox. 

The images are just images.  The flash is just flash.  I'm not doing anything wrong.  If it doesn't load right it's your problem.
No, and here's why:

Upon looking closer at what you're doing, 1.) you're passing parameterized Flash variables into the Flash movie for your menu. Great for reusability, right? No. On Flash Player 8 doing this sometimes breaks because of some bizarro memory addressing issue or something, the technical crap is beyond me. This is not why people are starting to use a client-side JavaScript to rewrite the DOM to add multiple instances of the same Flash object like you are doing, but it helps

Also, this breaks usability & search engine indexing. The same goes for the news headers. Is there any reason to make the headings Flash besides the font & drop effect?

2.) What I thought were images not loading were Flash elements, for the reasons written above.

3.) The heaviness I mentioned is a matter of taste. The lines are really thick, the page bgd clashes with the blue gradient header bgds, and everything feels too "big" even at 1200.

4.) I was just trying to give you a heads-up that something was broken. Doing some minor things differently on your end will make things work more smoothly. Sorry if I came off like a richard, but the fact is there's something wrong on your end you may want to think about changing or tweaking for best results.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 11:17:06 PM by Luquado »

I'm going to have to agree with Luq on a few points. The flash doesn't add anything except for shadows (which you might be able to do with CSS), and it really makes it harder for search engines to parse your content. By using proper markup for headers and such, you'll get better results for SE's.

And yeah, I think the lines might be a little thick, IMO. And that aqua-blue color clashes a little with the other blues.

It looks good :-) Now maybe the age of time website could need a new design later ;-)

I LOVE the new look!
If i could, I would make my site like it.

I LIKE IT :D, IT'S ALL BLUE, i like blue!

I liked the old site better, but I guess that's a matter of taste. The new one isn't bad at all anyway.

Badspot

• Administrator
The problem isn't a bizarro memory addressing issue, it's this:
The main issue with using any embed method that uses only object tags to embed any plugin on a page is that Safari ignores the param tags.
I also repeat the variables in the <embed> tag, but I guess it ignores those too.  I'll try the javascript thing but I don't have a way to test it in safari.

The purpose of using flash elements for the news headings is so you get image-like quality without using images.  You get anti-aliased text with a shadow and you dont have to worry about people not having the right font or the font being the wrong size (which would break the table). 

Fair 'nough, I use Flash headers on a couple sites. Check out sIFR though, it lets non-Flashers see the headers AND search engines index them correctly :)

Brilliant Site, love the curves too. Kinda adds like a new dimension or something... like 5D or something exept to block....
>_>   ?   <_<
eh, yeah!
and the nav is cool too, more animation and stuff, perfect
;)

Cookies to you!
 :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

Badspot

• Administrator
Well, I experimented with using javascript to write the flash objects and it seems to be useless as a general solution because of the amount of time it takes for IE to run the javascript code.  It adds nearly a second to page creation time. 

And since safari apparently doesn't identify itself, I guess the only thing to do is make a flash video that redirects you if it doesn't get a variable passed to it.