Author Topic: The Gas prices...  (Read 13316 times)

People are handicapped if they think wind turbines ruin the view.

That looks lovely, but it could be the thought of it producing energy that makes it even more lovely.

People are handicapped if they think wind turbines ruin the view.
http://bp1.blogger.com/_tQ74IfNZmZQ/R1Me-8E9kuI/AAAAAAAABTQ/AO2i3pJ7gAQ/s400/wind+turbines.jpg

That looks lovely, but it could be the thought of it producing energy that makes it even more lovely.
You ever see the wind farms near Los Angles in person? It's awesome.

Nope, haven't gone anywhere out of Texas, and the farthest I've gone is to the Gulf of Mexico.

We don't have enough money to go on a vacation anywhere, while my friends goto New York or other places like every month for 1-3 days.

Around $2.20 where I live, they found a stuffload of it.

*twitch*

Cool, gas comes already refined from the ground :D

Its about $1.18 where I live.

Here's a true story, people living on Cape Cod had/have the opportunity to supply themselves with a very reasonable amount of electricity by offshore wind turbines [estimated 25 miles off shore, behind horizon line]. This is by-far the best location for wind turbines, you got the sea blowing wind towards and away from the Cape and a very strong current.

This vote got quickly run into the ground by voters of the Cape, because they felt it would ruin the scenic view of the ocean. Despite hard evidence that it wouldn't, and the large amount of energy that would provide the Cape [and the islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard], the vote got shut down. The Cape and the Islands are hard to supply energy to, and they really could have used this.

But here's the funny thing, the people who voted against it loose their houses due to soil erosion by the seashore, and they don't even use their houses until the summer. Might I add the Cape and Islands vote Republican.

Solar panels aren't cheap, and you sort of need a lot of them. Not to mention they work at 50% efficiency when it is cloudy [and 0% when its dark/overcast]. I see them as a supplement, but not a solid component to the energy demand (unless you live on the equator).

There is hope for nuclear power, states like Florida are now implementing a system that almost charges coal burning plants by the tonnage of CO2 they produce, its like a clean tax. Also they aren't allowing new coal burning plants to be built in most states.

*cough* Kennedy *cough*

Its about $1.18 where I live.
$1.18 per what? You definitely don't live in the USA.

This is a great debate by the way.

Wind turbines cost money to maintain, but they're cheap compared to building power plants, building oil rigs, building pipelines and all that stuff and then maintaining them. You can also spread out small wind farms all over the place. They need 10mph wind average areas to work, which are abundant. The location is a small problem but not what's keeping them down.

Aesthetics is the problem. People don't like the idea of having a community powered by wind, and selling the excess, because it might kind of ruin the view, but not really. I hate people sometimes.

Fission plants are costly, and disposal of nuclear wastes is also costly. My bet is on Fusion, it's going to kick every other energy source's ass. Fusion consumes a very very small amount of hydrogen isotopes, and boy does it generate a stuff ton of energy. The byproduct? Radioactive helium, it loses it's radioactivity after only 100 years. Radioactivity problem over.

The issue is the reactors suck at the moment and it's going to take another 70 years of research to perfect them. The amount of energy needed to get the fusion reaction going is astronomical, and then the reaction can't be maintained.

Edit: Also fusion is safer then fission

On wind - 2 main factors against it are truly aesthetics and reliability. A windmill doesn't provide power 100% of the time and by nature will vary tremendously. This variance puts a strain on the electrical grid as it constantly has to shift to maintain equilibrium. The maintenance costs of wind turbines outweighs the "cheap" cost to build them (not really cheap at all).

On Nuclear - The cost of building and operating a Fission plant is not that much greater than the building if any other power plant, it simply falls under tighter regulations. Their efficiency is quite high compared to the amount of energy extracted from fossil fuels on a mass basis.

I'd love to put all my hopes and dreams into fusion but I can't. We have already created fusion many times before, both in the laboratory and during war. There are at least 2 projects right now working on fusion. The problem with fusion isn't the radioactive bi-product (fissions is much worse any way)  but rather the containment of the reaction.

You see, in order to maintain and contain the fusion reaction, you need powerful electromagnets. So far the energy gained from the fusion reactors we have is not enough to power it's own electromagnets, never mind anything else. Future advances in super-conductors may help but it is still a huge gap to cross.

There really isn't a winning combination or single technology for the world's energy needs. What we all need is a greater, more stable and reliable portfolio of energy sources with less environmental damage and greater sustainability. We also don't need to be too hasty. The E85 ethanol buzz is a great example of what can happen when you get too gung-ho about something and neglect to check the facts.

The radiator is such a loving waste of energy in a car. Why do we still use them? I believe Volkswagen or someone was developing a prototype car without a radiator. Fuel efficiency is greatly increased.

Think about it, The radiator is huge loving gap in the front of your car. When you drive it creates drag on everything inside your engine. Let's look at computer cooling technology for an example of what could be possible. Put heat syncs on many of the vital parts with coolant pipes leading to the rear of the car. Rear facing fans can then push the hot hair out the vehicle. If that works, you wouldn't need a huge hole in the front of your car. You would see much greater fuel efficiency and you wouldn't even need as powerful of an engine, it wouldn't have to compensate for pushing through the air.

If you didn't want to eliminate that air gap in the car, couldn't you put wind turbines in there to help generate energy?

A lot of the alternator's energy is not used. Why can't there be a device similar to a computer's power supply which controls energy flow? The alternator operates how it normally does, but the power it produces is sent to some kind of battery(or super capacitors :o). The battery communicates with the PSU which tells it when it has a full enough charge to stop spinning the alternator. To do that you would need an electronically controlled connection from the engine to the alternator. Perhaps some kind of coupling that detaches when told to. Without the alternator spinning constantly the engine would be able to put more power towards moving the car.

And once again we come to this...who wants to pay to design systems like the ones I proposed when everything still works?

Just some ideas I had while going to the store earlier.

I'm going to point out the obvious here and inform you that car engines get really hot. Too hot, in fact, to be cooled effectively by anything but the huge mass of air that flows over it.

Heat syncs and coolant pipes wouldn't be efficient enough to warrant their extra weight and complexity.

Adding wind turbines to cars has already been suggested. Following the basic laws of thermodynamics it is a zero gain and loss system. The energy generated from a turbine on the car would be offset by the increased aerodynamic drag which would put more strain on the engine. All you would really be doing is adding another inefficient system onto an already overburdened vehicle.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about alternators to comment on your suggestion, but I imagine there are similar reasons for why they don't do it in the way you mentioned.

Car manufacturers have no compelling reason to change what they design because people still keep on buying this years model even though it is just last year's model with a DVD player added in. Vote with your dollar.

i got an ad in the mail it was for oil change. anyway it said "Fight high gas prices" thtn there was one of those signns saying gas prices it said

regulre    ARM
unleaded

Plus         LEG
unleaded

super       Both
unleaded