Poll

Would you want maxis to redo Spore for a more "sciency version"?

Yes, there is no question that they should.
25 (67.6%)
No, Spore is perfect how it is.
4 (10.8%)
They should do an expansion pack or something that makes it a little like the demo'd spore, but not entirely.
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Why Spore sucks  (Read 5703 times)

When Spore first came out I loved it, played late into the night just to get to the next stage.  It was fun, and it was great playing around with the creature editor.  Then I got to space, played around a bit, and then had a few busy days, and haven't really returned to it since.  Why did a game that looked so cool and promised to be so fun lose all its depth, and become a game of somewhat fun smaller games?
Well, it turns out there is a real reason.  There is a general overview here:
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/8555.page

and a very interesting post by someone who interned at EA and worked on the old prototypes:

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/5225.page

For those of you who chose not to read it all.
1. Will has this awesome game called Spore, it has many cool things such as a balanced eco system, and having it so that creatures with longer limbs can reach farther, and run faster, and all sorts of many cool things.
2. Hotshot comes in and says people are too dumb to play such a sciency game. (even suggesting that the creatures should wear sneakers at one point)
3. The last three years of the production of Spore are basically spent on dumbing down the game.
4. We get Spore, and in a few cases the free released prototypes of the game get higher ratings then the game itself.

osht....I wanted to buy spore too D=

yo quiero un version muy intelegente!

because i wanna feel smart... ):

He'll always go downhill after The Sims , I agree with Zero Punctuation on this game.

He'll always go downhill after The Sims , I agree with Zero Punctuation on this game.
Are you serious?

Sim City 4 was the most epic game ever.

Are you serious?

meh didnt do it for me

Chris Hecker Can go forget himself while jumping off a 500 foot bridge into steaming lava.
starfish ruined a perfectly good game.

http://www.d6.com/games/index.htm
Hahah, he had his own company, and that's the website.
People never liked the company.

No wonder Chris is such a sadass for ruining spore.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:31:25 AM by Aphtonites »

yes it is, and societies is fail.

why is it, when a developer tries to make a simplified version of a great franchise, they kill my dreams :(

Because dreams are always complex.

I was actually wondering while playing with the creature editor where all the neat features went like being able to create a chicken with such a big head that it wobbles. (lol Robin Williams) Edit: Wait no that wasn't Robin Williams, or was it? I can't find the video anymore D:

Turns out some simple minded idiot thinks everyone else is an idiot too, so he simplified it.
Chris Hecker is now on the list of people that need their graves pissed on.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:52:08 AM by Vertzer »

This reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies

It was leet and complex and epic at first.

Then someone had a horrible idea and simplified it, which made almost everyone hate it.

This reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies

It was leet and complex and epic at first.

Then someone had a horrible idea and simplified it, which made almost everyone hate it.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!
yet another reason those forgeters suck forget, they have no idea how to run a god damned online game, much less a successful division of their corporation.

Last time I checked that Final Fantasy online game is pretty damn good.