Poll

Which feature would you most like to see in RTB next?

Friends List + Messaging [1-2 Months Dev Time]
167 (78.4%)
Online/Ingame Gallery System & Save Repository [2-3 Months Dev Time]
20 (9.4%)
Online/Ingame Clan System [4-5 Months Dev Time]
26 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 212

Author Topic: Return to Blockland v3  (Read 108784 times)

Just a small feature that I think would be neat to have:

To be able to link people to user content hosted on RTB (The in-game add-ons manager) so they can click the link and download it straight away.
... silly.
EDIT:
Mod Manager
I have now added a system whereby you can provide text-based links to RTB mods which will open them ingame using the following method:

Code: [Select]
<a:rtb-fileid>File Title</a>
For example:
<a:rtb-31>Sawn-off Shotgun</a> would cause the sawn-off shotgun to be displayed in-game for anyone who clicked it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:13:15 PM by Destiny/Zack0Wack0 »

You can't actually use that as a client though, if you want to link someone to an add-on you can type this in the chat:

http://rtb-<fileid>

Which will show a very unfriendly "rtb-fileid" link. It might be possible to make a special thing you can type that will display correctly for other RTB users, like [rtb:Sawn-off Shotgun] or something. It'd show up as "[rtb:Sawn-off Shotgun]" for all non-rtb users though, but thats not a problem.

How are the chances for a better build gallery looking?

I've been looking into this a bit, although it is quite far back on the list of things to do. One thing i'd expect to include with that would be the ability to upload saves and screenshots from in-game to the build gallery for other people to download in-game, however due to engine limitations file uploading isn't actually possible at this stage, but if Badspot includes this little engine mod I whipped up to allow it into v11/v12, we should be in business.

May I suggest a simple gui that searches for a random person and the server that there in. Like you open the gui, type in the blid/name and find the person and the server that their in.

That will be something that will be available in RTB Connect for sure, provided the person you're searching for has allowed non-buddies to search for what server they're on in their privacy settings.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:36:14 AM by Ephialtes »

A cool thing to add would be player groups, so you can join player groups then talk in a channel together or something.

You can't actually use that as a client though, if you want to link someone to an add-on you can type this in the chat:

http://rtb-<fileid>

Which will show a very unfriendly "rtb-fileid" link. It might be possible to make a special thing you can type that will display correctly for other RTB users, like [rtb:Sawn-off Shotgun] or something. It'd show up as "[rtb:Sawn-off Shotgun]" for all non-rtb users though, but thats not a problem.

Perhaps have it send a link to the relevant file in the online MOD Manager to non-RTB users? (e.g. RTB users get the current in-game link style, while others get this style of link if you're sending it in an RTB-enabled server)

Perhaps have it send a link to the relevant file in the online MOD Manager to non-RTB users? (e.g. RTB users get the current in-game link style, while others get this style of link if you're sending it in an RTB-enabled server)

Yeah that could be done too.

Anyway I'm debating whether making an overlay gui like steam does ingame for RTB so the mod manager and other community tools (like RTB connect) are accessible ingame. I'll make a poll about it now - it just makes sense to do an overlay system instead of trying to cram more links onto the escape menu.

I'm going to vote yes. Besides, RTB Connect would be rather useless if it cannot be accessed ingame.

Epic idea for it. As far as I know, it would be simple to do also.

I have an awesome idea.
Clan pages, and having a clan tab in RTB Connect.
Users can browse clan pages aswell. :o
Able to manage the clan pages (Those who are allowed to) ingame.

I have an awesome idea.
Clan pages, and having a clan tab in RTB Connect.
Users can browse clan pages aswell. :o
Able to manage the clan pages (Those who are allowed to) ingame.
But then it'd be as spammed with horrible clans as much as the Clan Discussion forum here D:

Oh well, still sounds like a neat idea

Of course it would be spammed with crappy clans, but I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

A clan portal is something we planned (and started developing) at one point in the past, but it got pushed to the back of the work queue. Its still a cool feature i'd like to implement at some point since clans are quite a big part of the blockland community. The clan system would be a custom-developed forum modification which would also be accessible ingame like the mod manager and it'd allow clans to have their own mini forum with moderation privileges granted to specific users as defined by clan owners/managers. Anyway that can be discussed in another topic - I want to hear why someone voted no on the poll.

I want to hear why someone voted no on the poll.
To be rebellious? I have no idea.

Oh well, its 24 to 1 so i'll go ahead and add the ingame overlay to the backlog.

Two suggestions for the download manager:

1. Closed Beta section which allows private distribution between people and is built for constructive feedback.

2. When updating a mod, the ability of inputing a reason which people will see when the automatic updater pops up for them.

Sorry if this has already been suggested or is on track for the next release.