Poll

Which feature would you most like to see in RTB next?

Friends List + Messaging [1-2 Months Dev Time]
167 (78.4%)
Online/Ingame Gallery System & Save Repository [2-3 Months Dev Time]
20 (9.4%)
Online/Ingame Clan System [4-5 Months Dev Time]
26 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 212

Author Topic: Return to Blockland v3  (Read 109815 times)

Idea: You cannot gain Achievements if you are Admin or the Host in a server, except for certain ones that may require it.

I think if achievements were ever made they'd be saved clientside and not displayed to others so people lose bragging rights if they get an achievement which will stop people cheating to get them (probably).

but achivements on online games are for bragging rights :(

but achivements on online games are for bragging rights :(

They can also be a painful slap-in-the-face reminder of how much time you waste playing a game - Achievements could be shown online if you don't gain anything from having them, then people may not be so determined to cheat. Anyway, all checks would need to be done clientside ideally so that you can get the achievements wherever you are - and that lessens the coolness of what you can do. There are still a few fun things i had in the RTB 1.05 achievements thing based around the number of kicks and bans you'd received, number of servers joined etc. although they were more statistics than achievements.

Another idea, inviting friends to servers, and joining a friend in another server through RTB Connect.
Of course, with the option of displaying the RTB server information window, like, on the invite popup or when you're about to join a server through RTB Connect.

The Achievements could piggyback on the RTB buddy list thing like what steam/and Xboxlive does. You can compare achievements that you got.

That would work if it were closed source. However, Blockland mods are to be open source.
Anyone can just go and modify what achievements they have, and those who actually earn them may be accused of cheating.

I like the idea of an Achievement system. It adds a Metagame.

Anyway, it'd be nice if it was Dynamic and displays any achievements, even ones added from Add-Ons.
That would work if it were closed source. However, Blockland mods are to be open source.
Anyone can just go and modify what achievements they have, and those who actually earn them may be accused of cheating.
If there's nothing to gain there's no reason to cheat.

there's nothing to gain there's no reason to cheat.
Hackers in online games.

People will cheat for achievements no matter how you make them.

I'd rather have a system where you are awarded achievements by your peers. Kind of like barn stars on wikipedia.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:32:59 AM by Wedge »

I think cheating in games is no fun, except for competitive multiplayer games where there is no unlockable weapons or ranks. EX: DMs in BL.

Status symbols are gay to cheat with.

May I suggest an awards/medals system? Things like "Double Kill" or "Killing Spree" that can be earned, and have little images for each one. Then a Medal/Award Chest, where your medals (and how many) are listed. Again, like Achievements, dynamic and easy to add.

Can we do a server bookmark type thing?

Can we do a server bookmark type thing?

Need this

Also a history of servers. And something kinda like TF2 and gMod and other valve games, where we auto connect when a spot opens.

Where is the download