Author Topic: To reformat or not to reformat? That IS the question...  (Read 2108 times)

Okay, so I've picked the parts I'll need to upgrade my computer and I have enough money to afford it. Hooray!

Now, I've only decided to upgrade the following:
Another GeForce 8600 GT
New motherboard
New CPU
New power supply

I'm getting rid of:
Old motherboard
Old CPU
Old power supply

I'm keeping:
Hard Drive
one GeForce 8600 GT
two DVD-ROM drives
Case

Question:
I don't want to hassle with backing up and moving all my stuff for reformat, so I don't want to reformat.
Since I'm using the same graphics card and networking and stuff, does it matter if I don't reformat and use the new parts with my old hard drive containing all my old stuff? Will there be any problems?

EDIT:
For the record, these are the parts I'm getting. RW helped pick these out and made them fit for my budget.
Newegg list (CPU, Motherboard, and Powersupply)
TigerDirect list (Graphics card, because Newegg was sold out on 8600 GT's and didn't have the ones I wanted.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:19:03 PM by Gen. Nick »

I'm guessing drivers for old stuff would be an issue.

alas! poor mobo
also, stuff stuff stuff stuff stuff stuff stuff
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:51:16 PM by Tannrar »

In order to use the second 8600GT in SLI you would need a mobo with the n200 chipset and a compatible powersupply; both of which you would have to pay extra for.

A wiser move would be to get a P43 or P45 motherboard and a decent GPU like the 9800GT  (cheaper than 8800GT for some reason but equal in performance). SLI isn't really a good option for those on a budget, and avoiding the premium cost of an SLI compatible motherboard and more powerful PSU will allow you to get a decent GPU.

It would also be a wise move to reformat as your motherboard and GPU will both require new drivers. It is also great to start fresh and clean out the crap that slows down most peoples computers. You can remove the drivers manually but complications can occur if not don't correctly.

In order to use the second 8600GT in SLI you would need a mobo with the n200 chipset and a compatible powersupply; both of which you would have to pay extra for. You chose the parts for me, remember? I'm using all the parts you picked out for me, so it's all you.

A wiser move would be to get a P43 or P45 motherboard and a decent GPU like the 9800GT  (cheaper than 8800GT for some reason but equal in performance). SLI isn't really a good option for those on a budget, and avoiding the premium cost of an SLI compatible motherboard and more powerful PSU will allow you to get a decent GPU. Again, you chose the parts.

It would also be a wise move to reformat as your motherboard and GPU will both require new drivers. It is also great to start fresh and clean out the crap that slows down most peoples computers. You can remove the drivers manually but complications can occur if not don't correctly.
I could use a driver cleaner, right? Also, my computer isn't that sluggish. And no, I don't manually remove drivers.
EDIT: Updated main post with links to parts.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:19:27 PM by Gen. Nick »

Didn't you ask for SLI when you asked for a list of suggested parts?

I'm just making the argument that you could get a much better computer for the same price by getting a cheaper, non-SLI mobo and a better GPU.

For $95 you could easily get a full-featured P43 or maybe even P45 mobo and using the $40 you saved and the $50 from the 8600GT you could get a 9600GT or better if you find a good deal.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/compare,795.html?prod[2067]=on&prod[2085]=on

I rest my case.  :)

Didn't you ask for SLI when you asked for a list of suggested parts?

I'm just making the argument that you could get a much better computer for the same price by getting a cheaper, non-SLI mobo and a better GPU.

For $95 you could easily get a full-featured P43 or maybe even P45 mobo and using the $40 you saved and the $50 from the 8600GT you could get a 9600GT or better if you find a good deal.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/compare,795.html?prod[2067]=on&prod[2085]=on

I rest my case.  :)
Oh damn. I just got effed in the a.

Can you help pick out the proper parts then, again? :C

All of my GPU's are Nvidia and I am still recommending ATI to you. Believe me, they are offering the best bang for buck right now.

But if you want, get the 9800GT.  =/

All of my GPU's are Nvidia and I am still recommending ATI to you. Believe me, they are offering the best bang for buck right now.

But if you want, get the 9800GT.  =/
I saw a 9800 GTX2, but it was $80 more, and there was another 9800 GT that cost $15 more but came with CoD4 free, but I don't care for CoD4.

Alright, so my question still stands.
If I remove the driver for the old graphics card using a program, can I still be able to use my old hard drive with everything on it?

If I remove the driver for the old graphics card using a program, can I still be able to use my old hard drive with everything on it?
Bump, and I need an answer by tomorrow. I'm going to be buying tomorrow in order to get it at least before Thanksgiving.

Just reformant, it's that hard to back up your crap.

Just reformant, it's that hard to back up your crap.
Yes, because it's truth that I have a stuffload of...well...stuff.

EDIT: Tomorrow after shkewl I will delete what I really don't need. Mostly I just back up savegame data and mods so that I can just install games again only.
I don't care about my already-messed-up Spore save files.

Bump. It is one hour until 8 PM EST.

If I do not have an answer by that time, the topic will be locked and the items purchased. I need confirmation that the items will work with each other.

forget it, I'm ordering.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:50:30 PM by Gen. Nick »