Author Topic: Linux Raped my Friends Computer  (Read 2014 times)

I am running two 320GB Western Digital 5400rpm hard drives in RAID 0 on my laptop.
Alright I tried installing installing Ubuntu  8.10 using the alternative install cd. It installed correctly and everything, but GRUB didn't recognize Vista on boot. I forced it to boot into Vista via command line, downloaded EasyBCD 1.7 or whatever the newest version is. After running EasyBCD and it telling me everything was great I restarted as told. Upon restart I came up with Missing Operating System. I tried the Vista Repair utility, it can't find an operating system so I tried the command line method to manually create a "good" Master Boot Record. I get through a few steps then when I try the step after creating the temp bcd it says that there is no recognizable file system. Anyone know how to fix or work around this? I would really hate to reformat.... that would be a huge pain in the ass. Also I know for a fact that all the files are still there because I am able to, via the find drivers thing in Vista's Repair Utility, see all of my folders and everything seems to be intact.

Fix it.

Does his computer's harddrive hurt?

Cookie Monster, you aren't funny, you are handicapped and should go forget yourself.

Cookie Monster, you aren't funny, you are handicapped and should go forget yourself.
I reported him.

happened to my old friend. He took it to this Engineering teacher he knew, and he couldn't fix it. You might have to reinstall the OS.

Cookie Monster, you aren't funny, you are a handicapped roostercigarette and should go forget yourself.

Western digital hard drives are REALLY prone to breaking. Every computer me or my dad had to fix that the hard drive was bad in, it was Western digital.

You didn't install it right.
You should only install Linux if you know what the hell you're doing.

Western digital hard drives are REALLY prone to breaking. Every computer me or my dad had to fix that the hard drive was bad in, it was Western digital.

stuff, guess what I have...

I'm bumping this to the top because he wants some other opinions.

My advice is just get two hard drives and install OS' separately, or get a different hard drive.

Where's Space Guy when you need him?

My advice is just get two hard drives and install OS' separately, or get a different hard drive.

His hard drives are set up in RAID, efffectly combining them.  He doesn't want Linux on it's own 320 gb hard drive, that would be silly.  Pretty sure the error came from the EasyBCD.

His hard drives are set up in RAID, efffectly combining them.  He doesn't want Linux on it's own 320 gb hard drive, that would be silly.  Pretty sure the error came from the EasyBCD.

Wine, my good friend, and games can fill that HDD up :D