Author Topic: Les Paul intonation.  (Read 1244 times)

I've been setting up my Paul for a gig. The 12th fret intonation is absolutely spot-on, but the lower frets are still sharp. This makes no sence to me.

What's going on?

I'm thinking that your neck may be bent, even a minor warp in the wood could mess it up.

I'm thinking that your neck may be bent, even a minor warp in the wood could mess it up.
It could be the cause.

Always untune your guitar so it won't bend or warp when not in use.

Try adjusting the action if you haven't already.

Does it sound too low or high?

That or you have the strings "over tuned". This means the say you tuneing E but you turn it to far what happens is that the tuner reads it as normal and you can hear it normal but when you play diffrent frets its out of tune.

That or you have the strings "over tuned". This means the say you tuneing E but you turn it to far what happens is that the tuner reads it as normal and you can hear it normal but when you play diffrent frets its out of tune.
It could also be that you're using the wrong gauge of string, that could either:
1. Warp your neck.
  Or
2. Rip out your tremalo.

I don't have a tremolo. I'm using .10's. They're fine for a Paul.

I don't have a tremolo. I'm using .10's. They're fine for a Paul.
Well maybe Paul is trying to tell you something.

If you're insinuating that I have a bad guitar choice, loving leave. I need help.

If you're insinuating that I have a bad guitar choice, loving leave. I need help.
Nonono, I was just saying Paul, as like a person's name. It was a dumb joke, leave me alone :(

I'm sorry. I was just a bit agitated in general.

I (sort of) resolved the problem. I have semi-deep frets and my capo was pulling the strings too hard causing them to go sharp. I'll either have to fix my capo or buy a different kind.